Millions of dead fish in Maryland

Urine_Sample

i knew i shouldn't have urinated while swimming in the bay...

Authorities in Maryland are investigating the deaths of about 2 million fish in Chesapeake Bay.

"Natural causes appear to be the reason," the Maryland Department of the Environment said in a news release. "Cold water stress exacerbated by a large population of the affected species (juvenile spot fish) appears to be the cause of the kill."

The investigation comes days after the deaths of an estimated 100,000 fish in northwest Arkansas. Authorities suspect disease was to blame there, a state spokesman said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/06/maryland.fish.kill/index.html?hpt=T2

I'm sorry icon_sad.gif

but at least they said was of "natural" causes since it was just urine untitled.jpg

I'm sure all these massive, sudden, unexpected deaths of small animals all over the earth are natural, unrelated, completely ordinary events.

/sarcasm off

Actually, this probably has nothing to do with humans. When humans damage the ecosystem (pollution, war, nuclear weapons testing, etc) it tends to affect every species in the region, not just a specific species.

Could be an emerging virus.

We already have bird flu. Maybe this is something like Ebola. A disease that kills and spreads through one species very very fast, burning itself out only because it runs out of victims. Maybe it infects certain aquatic life too.

So it kills all the black birds within a few miles in an hour or two, or all the cod or crabs in a given school in the ocean.

Maybe all these species have a common allele (version) of a very common gene (say for blood clotting or regulating blood pressure) and any species with that given allele is susceptible.

I wonder what Rainier would say. He knows molecular biology pretty well.

Good website on the situation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344913/Animal-death-mystery-8k-turtle-doves-fall-dead-Italy-blue-stain-beaks.html

So far we have: indigestion, cold water, power lines, fireworks, shifting magnetic North Pole, Mayan Calendar, GM food, virus, celphone towers, US government experiment, HAARP (wtf is HAARP anyway lol) and the BP spill.

Take your pick.

US government experiment, HAARP (wtf is HAARP anyway lol)

HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) is a project with funding from DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), University of Alaska, The US Navy, and the US Airforce. It is a program which studies ways to modify/"enhance" the ionosphere for communication, weapons detection, and tampering with its natural electrical properties in order to bounce signals off of patches of the ionosphere (kind of like turning parts of the sky into a nearly undetectable spy satelite). The public face of the project is HAARP Research Station in Gakona, Alaska http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/ with two lesser known sites: one near Fairbanks, Alaska called HIPAS, and the other at the Arecibo Observatory. There are rumors of more secretive and powerful military installations of this technology but I have no way of confirming this. Other groups around the world also use this sort of "ionosphere heating technology" the most prominent I know of being EISCAT (sorry atm I can not remember what this stands for and am too lazy to look it up) which fires beams or radio waves into the ionoshere around 1 GW ERP.

Conspiracy theories abound as to this project. Some claiming that the high power output could be directed towards land based objects to create earthquakes, that it is used for mind control, weather control (due to the atmospheric heating properties of this project there could be some validity to this one) and interesting ones about creating high altitude holograms to simulate an alien invasion which would allow the world governments to enact martial law with little resistance :) .

The reason for the belief that it can cause earthquakes is that HAARP and HIPAS can produce earth penetrating ELF waves for searching for oil and mineral deposits. The concern is that if their frequency gets too close to that of the resonant frequency of the area it could cause the ground to vibrate. Think Angers Bridge in France- it collapsed due to the marching of soldiers- each unified vibration built on the last until the bridge began wobbling and fell or a glass vibrating then shattering due to the frequency of the opera singer's voice.

My main concern is what modifying the ionosphere does to its ability to keep us relatively safe from the sun's radiation.

On a lighter note I felt this post could use some humor. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41037289/ns/world_news-europe/