St. Louis Missouri is Number One Again!!

PHANTASM

So, St. Louis is once again the most violent city in the US, according to the FBI.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/22/st-louis-most-violent-its-not-so-simple-expert-says/

We defeated Camden, New Jersey, to regain our #1 standing in this hotly-contested dubious honor.

We have more murders, rapes, armed robbery, assault, carjackings, extortion, torture, muggings, purse snatchings, you name it, we rule.

A few years ago, the Police Chief got in a little trouble with the local media for withholding 500 violent crime reports from the FBI when they did their violent crime census. There was a lot of conspiracy theory stuff that he was trying to put us out of the top two or three worst cities in the US by under-reporting the crimes.

His response - it was a paperwork oversight. Those 500 rapes, robberies, asaults, kidnappings, and murders just didn't make it into the report they submitted to the FBI.

Then he said that with over 150,000 violent crimes reported that year, the missing 500 crimes were less than 1 percent of the total and did not change the overall rate enough to matter.

In St. Louis 500 violent crimes is just statistical noise.

Thanks for sharing. I will never visit that place except for tour.

No you wouldn't like it much.

I live 40 miles from downtown where it is safer. I still have to drive into the city for work though.

If my extended family didn't live here, and I didn't own a house, and I could find a job somewhere else, I would move. Probably to Colorado.

Take the St out of the city name.

I agree. Damn that is one hell of a crazy city =P (hobo army on the rampage? Boom headshot?).

PS: my squid display pic is better desu !! Rawr

Damn that is one hell of a crazy city =P (hobo army on the rampage?).

More like the end result of thirty years of gang warfare and white flight.

The Crips and Bloods and the Disciples had a massive war in St. Louis in the 1980s until the mid 90s. The local Mafia families also fought as well. Many crack houses were burned in the middle of the night by vigilantes. Police were not eager to investigate these crimes. The middle class fled St. Louis for the distant suburbs.

When I lived closer to the city I would sit on my porch with my friends and listen to the gunshots going off all night. We would joke "dealer A just shot dealer B" and stuff like that. You actually adjust to it after a while, like anything else. After a while you can tell what each kind of gun is by the pitch of its report. Every gun makes a different tune.