Chase bank bans Christmas

Medic Kane

Holidays  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does removing traditional decorations such as a Christmas Tree offend you?

• Yes, I would take my business else where
    • No, I could care less
    • Yes, but not enough to change my business habits

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/02/2676274/jpmorgan-chase-orders-southlake.html

SOUTHLAKE -- Chase Bank told a Texas businessman to remove the Christmas tree he donated to a local branch because it could offend people.

Antonio Morales, owner of Bellagio Day Spa in Southlake northeast of Fort Worth had assembled and decorated a 9-foot-tall tree in the lobby of the Chase Bank branch at 1700 E. Southlake Boulevard as a favor to the branch manager, who is one of his clients.

The tree remained in the lobby from the Monday before Thanksgiving until Tuesday. Morales said his friend called him Wednesday to tell him the tree had to go. She later showed him an e-mail from JPMorgan Chase saying that the tree had to be removed because some people were offended by it.

The bank referred questions to corporate offices.

Greg Hassell, a JPMorgan Chase spokesman, said that the company's policy isn't anti-Christmas. "People wish their customers merry Christmas when it's appropriate," he said.

However, to ensure that everyone who visits Chase branches feels welcome and comfortable, the bank's policy is to use only decorations supplied by the company.

"We appreciate the thoughtful gesture from Mr. Morales," Hassell said. "Unfortunately, we're unable to keep it [the tree] on display for the remainder of the holiday season." JPMorgan Chase ensures that decorations are "something everyone is comfortable with, regardless of how they celebrate the season," Hassell said.

But others see the tree as a symbol of the season.

A spokeswoman at Trinity Bank in Fort Worth said it has had a tree in its lobby since the Friday after Thanksgiving.

"I've been in this business more than 30 years, and every place I've worked we've put up a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving," said Linda Robertson, assistant vice president.

Bryan Fischer, director of issue analysis for the American Family Association, called Chase's decision absurd.

"According to Advertising Age, 91 percent of American people celebrate Christmas," Fischer said. "That means that the single most inoffensive thing you can do at this time of year is wish someone a merry Christmas."

Fischer said that companies that have gotten away from acknowledging Christmas claim that they do it because they want to be inclusive.

"The most inclusive thing you can do is wish someone merry Christmas," he said. "This means that Chase is running the risk of offending far more people by disrespecting Christmas than they are by honoring it."

Hassell said that the Southlake branch was supplied with stickers that resemble Christmas lights. Company-supplied decorations vary at other branches, he said.

"Normally they're small, not intrusive. I'm not sure this [Morales'] Christmas tree was intrusive. That's not really the issue here. It isn't a company-supplied decoration."

Hassell said the policy has been around for a few years, and that decorations change every year.

Morales said that he enjoys the Christmas season so much that he decorated 35 trees at his home.

"I'm known for my Christmas trees," he said.

In fact, Morales shared his talent this season with his landlord, a plastic surgeon.

"I put a tree up in his office," he said. "It doesn't offend him, and he's Jewish."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/02/2676274/jpmorgan-chase-orders-southlake.html#ixzz17HdEe3Cd

Not sure what their problem is. I am a Pagan and thus Christmas is not even one of my holidays. I am in no way offended by Christmas Trees- I find them beautiful. It does not offend me either that they banned them but I do think banning them was a statistically stupid thing to do. 90%+ ppl celebrate Christmas of the other approx 10% that do not I can not imagine more than 1% (of the total) are offended by Christmas Trees. So if you left the tree up you would offend perhaps 1-3%of the ppl. If you take it down you have potentially offended or irritated 97-99% of the people. I would think a bank would be better at math.

Even some Pagan religions decorate trees around this time for the festivals of either Saturnalia or Yule. A Christmas Tree is likely not going to offend us.

Well it's not really surprising cuz most companies are shying away from saying Merry Christmas. They perfer to use Merry X-Mas cuz it does not include the word christ. Personally don't really see what the big deal is but guess there must be 1.

• Administrators

Personally don't really see what the big deal is but guess there must be 1.

Well then that 1 needs to learn to deal with it. World is getting smaller and at the same time, if people's mindset is still stuck on old religions rather then humanity, there is nothing much anyone can do.

I'm atheist and I celebrate christmas. I never understood the whole tree thing, but you shouldn't get all butt hurt over a tree in a building... I mean seriously who cares, they do it at the Mall of America every year, a BIG ASS tree. Nobody QQs about that one.

I wonder if they would get upset about turkey on thanksgiving, or flags on the 4th of july. Who gives a shit lol.

Maybe Chase bank has been hiring Amish recently, and they are pissed we took the tree out of the wilderness and placed it in a building.

I'm atheist and I celebrate christmas. I never understood the whole tree thing, but you shouldn't get all butt hurt over a tree in a building... I mean seriously who cares, they do it at the Mall of America every year, a BIG ASS tree. Nobody QQs about that one.

I wonder if they would get upset about turkey on thanksgiving, or flags on the 4th of july. Who gives a shit lol.

Maybe Chase bank has been hiring Amish recently, and they are pissed we took the tree out of the wilderness and placed it in a building.

Ducky, I'm confused as all hel by this post, since I live in Pennsylvania and most of my neighbors are Amish, Mennonite or some other form of Anabaptists. The Amish are Christians, and their celebrate Christmas, and of corse, are very good # cutting trees.

I dunno this Bank, but i lolled alot. It could offend ppl too, if they dont have any christman decoration. Or it could offend old customers, when they always since 30 years had a xmas tree there. They should think less about BS and just work -.-