Strange ping change

Jorz

After 3 or 4 hours of playing with normal ping,my ping from nowhere suddenly goes crazy up to 200 on euro servers,and 300 on hc and etpub!!!

so i am wondering what causes that?i once restarted my pc and it was fixed,but my ping change that time was,because of hard cpu usage and ram usage.Right now for example while not doing anything my pc is using 135 mb ram,which is good,but my ping is still high :@#%*@(* #%)(@

With this shit i cant play on nights when hc is full :wacko:

:help:help :help

If you have xfire on, it might be possible Xfire did another update.

It starts downloading by itselfs, so you wont notice it, but it causes quite a lot of lag.

That also fits in the story that when you restarted it didn't occur again first, because the download stopped.

If you have xfire on, it might be possible Xfire did another update.

It starts downloading by itselfs, so you wont notice it, but it causes quite a lot of lag.

That also fits in the story that when you restarted it didn't occur again first, because the download stopped.

cant be,when my ping suddenly changes i always check task manager,never saw anything that shouldnt be running

and lol,that time i was using 60 percent cpu and 450 mb ram while multitasking

Well Jorz, since I can't tell what version of Windows you have, I'll just have to assume Windows XP like most gamers.

Windows has a built in command to use in the command prompt called "netstat"

The next time your ping suddenly jumps, switch over to the command prompt (hope you don't play Full screen), and give netstat a quick run. It will tell you what all is currently using the internet on your computer. That should give you some insight as to what is going on at that time; if it's a connection related issue. Of course, it could be an automated task like a virus scan, disk defrag, etc that Windows decides that it's a good time to do.

i use win xp.

Gonna compare what netstat shows after boot and after ping change thanks!

But then again,if i shout down the process my ping shouldnt get back to normal?

Edit: how do i copy the results from cmd prompt?

Copy/Paste doesn't work too well with Windows command prompt, just use the Print Scrn button to take a screenshot, and use your favorite image editor to crop out everything but the command prompt window, then upload that so we can see it.

I just right click, choose "select all", once it's highlighted hit the "enter" key which copies it. I prefer using notepad++ but I'm sure wordpad would work just as well, but ctrl +v or selecting "edit->paste" should do the trick.

meh seems like netstat doesnt work :s

i have used it before,but yesterday when i tried it,it didnt show anything,only the categories :s

p.s i will try again today

Assuming that you have anything open/running that uses the internet, it should result a list of all active and waiting connections to any address. See Microsoft's technet article for a bit more info on it and some examples of what you would see with specific commands.

Edit: Tried running netstat with no switches while playing, I noticed it didn't want to provide information. Use the command "netstat -a -b" and it will show all connections and resolve the program responsible for that connection.

Without seeing your toolbar near the clock, I can't say for certain but it looks like you've got a few programs running in the background that doesn't need to be.

It also appears that you just did netstat shortly after you joined a game, since you are in spectator mode. I can only assume this based on the information you've given so far.

The idea was for you to play up until the point your lag started spiking, then do the netstat command again to check the information against previous tests. We'll assume that this is the baseline for your computer connections to the internet.

So you might want to run a scan with a few anti-malware tools like Spybot Search & Destroy, or Malwarebytes. You might also want to take a look at your startup programs (both in the Startup folder located in your All Programs menu, and your registry), and cut down on some of the clutter. You might also want to close several programs that aren't needed while you're playing, like messangers/IM programs, internet applications, and unused programs.

first of all,that time,i got a ping change but not a big,it was as usual first my ping goes from 198 to 240 then after 1:30 hour it goes 300

so when i took the pics it was 240

always when i play,i have 20 processes running (these ones that need to)

and i have both,spybot and malwarebytes.

i also have ccleaner.

:blink:

Well, the next thing I can suggest is using the command "netstat -a -b -o >log.txt" and then "tasklist >tasks.txt"

These commands will create the files log.txt and tasks.txt wherever you run the command (you can be specific and say >c:\logs\file.txt instead if it makes it easier for you).

The first, log.txt, will be like the lists you've generated so far, but it will be all active and listening connections, with the executable associated with it, and the PID (Process ID) for the program.

The second, tasks.txt, will be a list of all running programs and their PID to match against what is in the log.txt file. When playing ET, you should probably only have outgoing and listening connections for wualct.exe, et.exe, xfire if you use it, and maybe Google updater, Apple updater, Java updater, and Adobe Updater and a few other windows processes. You can google the name of any of the files running to find out what is associated with it to see if it really needs to run or not.

You could also run the command "ping 216.155.146.19 -t >ping.txt" And wait the appropriate amount of time until your ping would jump up, then press Ctrl + C to stop pinging. The results should appear in the ping.txt file, and give you the information of how many packets were lost over time during your wait.

Also, winmtr shows heavy packet loss the closer it gets to the server. That might be what is causing problems.