ET NQ #1 Scores / balance teams

Ford (Cz)

Hi, no complains today, no worries. Just a suggestion based on never ending topic about scores. You have players and players. Player like me as I mentioned before - guy who doesn't give a thing about configs, screen resolution (as long as I have full screen pic), special vsays - guy who just wants to connect and have few frags etc with no drama (I know, hard to believe) and then you have players which are into everything, know all details and tips and tricks etc. Believe or not I had to write down on a piece of paper command /scores just to know how to check balance. Not first time, not last time. I keep forgetting this command. Million of reasons for that - but 1 simple, it is not my life. Even tho I am educated as an electrician (focused mainly on IT), did Q Basic as a part of studies at 1994-1998, my first comp was 286 something something,  etc etc. But cooking for life now. Changed career. So ask me how to make Bechamel and I will tell you in a middle of the night. But ask me how to change colour in my nick name and I will tell you to "F" off and will google it later. Same about score command (google just in case I will forget where my paper with /scores is). So maybe instead of comments like "is it so difficult to check scores before joining team", "are you blind" etc, just "educate" players maybe by adding to !help or as a part of some admin comments which you can see from time to time popped  on a screen. Cos I am sure there are lots of players with hundreds of thousand  xp points yet they have no idea how to check balance (or send private message etc). Just an idea. Ta 

• Like 3

i agree . some people arent as knowledge at the game.

an running a banner that says  dont forget to check/scores before joining a team wouldnt be to hard too do.

also i would like to remind u this is actually why some of us became admins becuz we spend half our time in et helping. i am here to help u.

this forum does tho if u search right have just about anyinfo on et ud like to read! learn.. nice too met u ford!

• Like 2

Scores are off ?? :DDDDD.

Now serious most of time same players trying to changing teams to balance it, most of regulars just don't care about because they like to sitting a stacked team. Some people just love to play only one team , Already told that members should using !put command more to balance teams via regulars, members should keep changing team at end,first move regulars then members move. Also you should look for it more general, now you looking only for scores, members should watch also for map progression,quality of players etc. Imo its allways same for you playing 8vs7 or 7vs8 is fair , for me not :P. But idea is good +1 for banner ,also members can control it and !put players if they choosed wrong team. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Great idea Ford!
I would love to see something like this implemented, I think it would solve a lot of frustrations, and also explain the reasoning behind !putting players in different teams when needed

• Like 1

Speaking of team balancing etc. I dont think its really neccessary to use !teams 3-5 times in quick succession, resulting in a deafening sound, just because Axis are 9 and Allies are 11 players and Axis are massively winning the map still. Because yeah, number of players count but as Puni said - its not only about numbers. Map progression is a big factor too.

• Like 3
  • 100 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any news on this?
Regulars start calling for teams when the losing team have more players, but admins are trying to even things out

Team balance has and will always be a challenge. Just way too many variables to expect a program or auto balance script to accurately give what i class as even teams. 

Checking and going off \scores cant always be accurate in the sense a good player could join a weaker team halfway through a map yet the \scores wont reflect that etc. Team numbers cant always be reliable in the sense that 1 really good player could be better then 3 bad ones and so forth.

FA has good admins and by that a good admin IMHO would take lots of things into account regarding "even" teams....First and foremost who is on each team? A team needs more than just good shooters, is a team full of good shooters or is that team balanced with shooters, engies, co ops and so on.....how far has the attacking team progressed and how quickly, what the \scores show, a team of good shooters will prob have way better scores than the other team but its not all about team damage or how many kills a team has over the other, how are the numbers team wise.

From what i've seen the best admins on any particular server are the ones who frequent the server and know the players, they tend to be admins who don't usually need telling teams are uneven numbers wise as they already know and have either chosen to ignore it because the team with less players IS the stronger team or they ask in chat for a player to join the weaker team Example 1 to axis please. I myself sometimes PM the better players and ask if they are happy top help the other team, they tend to be more than happy to do that. Only as a last resort will i use the !teams command, i find it annoying as hell and its certainly not needed in constant succession,,,,I actually muted a lvl 4 for 60 seconds yesterday for spamming !teams on NQ 1 over and over and over, just no need and usually a simple ask in chat will make peeps move.....in busy times admin can even wait a min and someone else will join the server and go to the team with less players anyway. 

Its never really a thankful task being an admin and many a time admin tend to forego their own fun game in order to keep balance as best they can. Hell i've seen some admin switch teams 3-4 times in one map, i myself have made a point at times of telling players i'm changing my name to yoyo when all i'm doing is flitting back and forth.  :D

Auto balance can be a blessing for evening the numbers but i'm yet to see one that goes beyond simple team numbers.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 100 2

5 minutes ago, BLAAT said:

I don't mean any form of auto balancing, but maybe add a banner just like the ones about sk/sc etc

I actually think there is a banner that says regs should help admins by evening teams?? either that or i'm going mad. :D If not i cant see any harm in adding one @daredevil

Also I think @daredevil was or is working on a system on NQ1 that gives notice in the banner area about how uneven teams are etc, still a work in progress i think as its since gone off the server but said if teams were uneven and who was the 3 biggest damage givers on the stronger team??. 

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Also I think @daredevil was or is working on a system on NQ1 that gives notice in the banner area about how uneven teams are etc, still a work in progress i think as its since gone off the server but said if teams were uneven and who was the 3 biggest damage givers on the stronger team??. 

That thing was a mess, showing messages such as "Axis have 3 more players" every 10 seconds when it was 8v8... The top3 damage was fine though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xiahou Dun said:

That thing was a mess, showing messages such as "Axis have 3 more players" every 10 seconds when it was 8v8... The top3 damage was fine though.

Haha, work in progress mate, Dare a very busy bee with me nagging him every other day. :D

• Thanks 1

Of course, and I am very grateful and appreciative of you two work. You have amazing devotion for this community, and its a pleasure to watch the server change.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how autobalance works tbh. Is it like autoshuffle or just random player from team will be moved? If autoshuffle then it would be mess I think. I'm sure I've seen that somewhere else and it was a piss take. I think just that banner mentioning /score or uneven teams would help a bit. At least for the beginning. Btw. is there different command for score check on other server? !howfair etc. cos if there is then it might also explain a bit about players not knowing /score command on NQ1.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ford (Cz) said:

!howfair etc. cos if there is then it might also explain a bit about players not knowing /score command on NQ1.

!Howfair is inaccurate on its own, because it scores people purely on their K/D ratio. Which in some people cases are inflated by solo farming bots at night.

And since there's no actual command that works like /scores, I think the best way to get people to use it would be a banner saying /scores, or/and a new command !scores, which would display that banner when someone uses it.

• Like 2