Client Issue ET stuttering when high ping player joins the game

Nikolai

Question

My PC has AMD cpu and gpu, which causes a lot of issues with Wolfenstein ET already. I asked for help earlier and the solution was /r_primitives 2 /r_mode -1.

However after it I started noticing random stuttering without any fps or ping dropping. I've noticed it clearly happens when a high pinged player joins the game, let's say from USA or Korea.

Sometimes restarting the game fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't. This is what I'm running currently:

/r_primitives 2

/r_mode -1

/r_customwidth 1920

/r_customheight 1080

/cg_drawfps 1

/com_maxfps 125

If anyone has possible solutions I'd be happy to hear :)

Edited by Nikolai

5 hours ago, RendeL said:

Also if you add /vid_restart at the end of that cfg, you can just launch it ingame by typing /exec nikolai.cfg and all is saved there.

I added the line /vid_restart to the end of my config but it doen't seem to work. I have to do it manually every time I join the server.

Edited by Nikolai

Ok. Took a quick look in to your cfg and there are few cvars that will cause "lags" or "stuttering" more likely:

seta cg_shadows "1"

seta cg_tracers "1"

seta cg_atmosphericEffects "1"

seta r_drawSun "1"

seta r_flares "1"

Set those to 0 and try it if it makes any difference. Also the vid_restart is without the / infront, that's my bad, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

35 minutes ago, RendeL said:

Ok. Took a quick look in to your cfg and there are few cvars that will cause "lags" or "stuttering" more likely:

seta cg_shadows "1"

seta cg_tracers "1"

seta cg_atmosphericEffects "1"

seta r_drawSun "1"

seta r_flares "1"

Set those to 0 and try it if it makes any difference. Also the vid_restart is without the / infront, that's my bad, sorry.

Allright, will try this tomorrow as well! I already changed hunkmegs and zonemegs as rambo told me.

• Like 2

@rambozo37 I experienced same stuttering today, everything was fine until a player with high ping joined in. I'm almost 100% sure it happens only when high pinged player joins my game. Restarting the game helped once. Doesn't help every time.

I tried your settings, and Rendels.

• Leader

This is weird, other players connection shouldn't mess yours. You should only see them stuttering but not the entire game for you. 

Few questions

how did you add the hunkmegs and zonemegs? in the cfg or in the game exe?

Do you play on wifi or cable connected? other people using the same connection you use? run any programs, downloads or anything else at the same time?

Can you take a demo of you playing so we can see whats going on?

21 hours ago, Nikolai said:

I added the line /vid_restart to the end of my config but it doesn't seem to work. I have to do it manually every time I join the server.

Did you add it in your cfg like that

/vid_restart ?

because you need to do it like this

vid_restart ( without the / )

never put / before cvars in your cfg

• Leader
21 hours ago, MikeSlayer said:

more hunkmegs will prob solve it but also try this 

/cg_deferplayers 1

deferplayers was used for quake and maybe for RTCW but never worked or used for ET. 

56 minutes ago, rambozo37 said:

This is weird, other players connection shouldn't mess yours. You should only see them stuttering but not the entire game for you. 

Few questions

how did you add the hunkmegs and zonemegs? in the cfg or in the game exe?

Do you play on wifi or cable connected? other people using the same connection you use? run any programs, downloads or anything else at the same time?

Can you take a demo of you playing so we can see whats going on?

Did you add it in your cfg like that

/vid_restart ?

because you need to do it like this

vid_restart ( without the / )

never put / before cvars in your cfg

Demo doesn't show the stutter, I checked. I also tried recording on my AMD software but it does not record ET, only my screen. This is also weird because I can record for example Apex.

I'm using CABLE, my internet is stable 16 ping 250mbps, no downloads or anything extra going on when I play ET.

I added the hunkmegs and zonemegs in console, it saved them on cfg. Says ''latched'' when I check them in console.

Also I removed the /vid_restart from the cfg already.

I have old laptop with NVIDIA graphics card and I never had any problems with it.

I can also mention that I cannot play many other games that are not fully supported or functional with AMD, for example ealy access survival games. Those games are stuttering in a similar way.

Then again games like Apex Legends which doesn't even run on max FPS with my build never stutter like this.

Edited by Nikolai

Also here is my build, if that matters at all...

Ryzen 5 2600

RX 580 8GB VRAM

2x8GB 3200Mhz RAM

24'' Full HD 144Hz 1ms Freesync monitor, I've already tried turning off the freeync and keeping it on.

• Leader

What video card you have right now?

lol faster then me :P

ok let me check something

Edited by rambozo37

Just now, Nikolai said:

Also here is my build, if that matters at all...

Ryzen 5 2600

RX 580 8GB VRAM

2x8GB 3200Mhz RAM

24'' Full HD 144Hz 1ms Freesync monitor, I've already tried turning off the freeync and keeping it on.

• Leader

Oh you have a 144Hz refresh rate on monitor…. If you have the default 50-60 refresh rate it will or can cause stutter. Try this in game console or add it to cfg without the /

/seta r_displayrefresh 120 or 144 (try both)

you said you don't have FPS drop right?

Edited by rambozo37
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rambozo37 said:

Oh you have a 144Hz refresh rate on monitor…. If you have the default 50-60 refresh rate it will or can cause stutter. Try this in game console or add it to cfg without the /

/seta r_displayrefresh 120 or 144 (try both)

you said you don't have FPS drop right?

No FPS drops ever. Well only when there's artillery and I'm watching the explosions it drops to 90.

I've tried displayrefresh settings as well. I set displayrefresh to 144 first, which causes even more stuttering. Then set it to 125, same as my maxfps in ET. It is basically the same as default 0.

ALSO it doesn't seem to save the settings on my config. Last time I set it to 125 in console it was back to default 0 when I joined game again.

I will try this again tomorrow and report the results :D I'd like to remind that I don't get stuttering every game, not even every day. That's why this is so confusing.

Edited by Nikolai

20 hours ago, Nikolai said:

No FPS drops ever. Well only when there's artillery and I'm watching the explosions it drops to 90.

I've tried displayrefresh settings as well. I set displayrefresh to 144 first, which causes even more stuttering. Then set it to 125, same as my maxfps in ET. It is basically the same as default 0.

ALSO it doesn't seem to save the settings on my config. Last time I set it to 125 in console it was back to default 0 when I joined game again.

If you have Freesync turned on you don't need to force the refresh as that is the whole point in Freesync/G-sync, it adapts to the Max FPS and auto changes your monitor refresh rate to match the FPS, this should all be done through your GFX card and has nothing to do with ET settings........if you have 90 FPS Freesync changes the refresh to 90, if  your FPS are 125 the refresh will be 125 and so forth. Forcing a higher refresh rate than your FPS will cause bad frames etc which is why setting to 144 when using 125 FPS is so bad for you.

it is an odd one as your system is clearly way over spec for the game and not having lags/fps drops all the time will as you already know make it very hard to figure the exact issue.

Other than what others have already mentioned i cant really think of anything to add other than In ET try turning "sync every frame" off in options-->system and see if that helps, again with freesync turning sync every frame off should not be a problem as Freesync should control your refresh rates etc.

One reason its not saving is the way ET works, ET will use the settings within etconfig.cfg as default until you run your own config file, you can either edit your own config with said settings or you can start the game, change the settings then exit the game without connecting to a server, ET should then store those changed cvars to your etconfig file and the next time you join they should have stuck. Failing that you could add them to a shortcut link which will override any settings.....I do this with all servers i play to force resolution etc, so my shortcuts have the following parameters +r_mode -1 +r_customwidth 2560 +r_customheight 1440 +cg_fov 100 +set com_hunkmegs 196 +vid_restart

Edited by Snuffs99