Who here smokes meat?

Wendy'sChili

Hey friends...had a great discussion on the HC server a few weeks ago but cannot remember who it was with. We were discussing smoking/grilling meat. I found a beautiful picanha yesterday and hope to smoke that bad boy up later this week.

• Love 1

(technically didn't smoke this but) just made some bomb pulled pork in the oven the other night with a lil 4lb bone in Boston butt cut. Poped her in for like 14 hours at 2250F ... made my own dry rub with salt, garlic powder, peper, cayenne, and lil chilli. then i tied it up with sum fresh thyme .... hot danm was it good :p.... love cooking in general and learning new recipes.   always down to learn and share... made a few of my own hot sauces as well. :)

I found a beautiful picanha yesterday and hope to smoke that bad boy up later this week

^^^^^

this sounds sooo good cant wait to hear how it goes

Edited by 4estw1zzard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 4estw1zzard said:

technically didn't smoke this but) just made some bomb pulled pork in the oven the other night with a lil 4lb bone in Boston butt cut. Poped her in for like 14 hours at 2250F ... made my own dry rub with salt, garlic powder, peper, cayenne, and lil chilli. then i tied it up with sum fresh thyme .... hot danm was it good :p.... love cooking in general and learning new recipes.   always down to learn and share... made a few of my own hot sauces as well. :)

dude u make me hungry lol :D 

• Haha 1

I was cheff in one of the Bosnians kitchen's, beside that i do my own, but here in Balkans maybe its other way to make it and prepared it. 

Explained in Balkan states :

Suho meso (literally: "dry meat") is a smoked beef or pork preparation eaten in Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, and Montenegrin cuisine. The meat is cured in a coarse salt for multiple days before being hung to dry under a fire for multiple days or weeks, depending on the size of meat. This process is traditionally done in the winter to avoid the meat from spoiling. It is similar to Italian Bresaola, but there is no netting involved in hold the meat.

Suho_Meso.thumb.jpg.1fd6d86e21004f2448fd959a12129309.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, Night Train said:

I was cheff in one of the Bosnians kitchen's, beside that i do my own, but here in Balkans maybe its other way to make it and prepared it. 

Suho meso (literally: "dry meat") is a smoked beef or pork preparation eaten in Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, and Montenegrin cuisine. The meat is cured in a coarse salt for multiple days before being hung to dry under a fire for multiple days or weeks, depending on the size of meat. This process is traditionally done in the winter to avoid the meat from spoiling. It is similar to Italian Bresaola, but there is no netting involved in hold the meat.

its called pickeling! you can do it with fish aswell you know :)

On 1/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, Night Train said:

That looks AMAZING! I LOVE Bresaola.....congrats, that process takes so much time and patience. Awesome!

• Love 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:21 AM, Springfield- said:

I read "Smoke meat" and I really thought  you were talking about  smoking like a joint... I gotta sleep.

you thought smoke weed probably 😛

• 1 month later...

I grill every Sunday for the week. Beef, chicken, pork chops, steaks and fish. Love the taste of grilled/smoked food. Every thanksgiving we smoke a turkey (I'll never use the oven for a turkey again, ever) and many times throughout the year I'll smoke pork butts, hams, beer butt chicken. This year I want to try smoking lamb. Ever since I started doing meal prep for the week, we have saved so much time and money by having everything cooked and ready for the week. 

• 1 month later...

@Old Timer sounds great! Have you ever tried deep frying turkey?  Comes out very good in my opinion.  My father used to compete in bbq competitions but I never got into it as much.  Some of his technique has rubbed off on me luckily.  I do some of my steaks and chicken over a piping hot Himalayan salt block.  Comes out nice 👍 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainCrunch said:

@Old Timer sounds great! Have you ever tried deep frying turkey?  Comes out very good in my opinion.  My father used to compete in bbq competitions but I never got into it as much.  Some of his technique has rubbed off on me luckily.  I do some of my steaks and chicken over a piping hot Himalayan salt block.  Comes out nice 👍 

I have deep fried turkey's in the past, many years ago. Once I started smoking them on the grill I never went back. Although I will admit that deep fried turkey is very good. Once the oil sears the outside it makes it so juicy. The oil is so damn expensive though. That was the biggest drawback. I'm interested in the salt block technique. Tell me more please, if you will.

@Old Timer It’s literally just a big rectangular block of Himalayan salt, maybe 15”x10” and 2-3” thick.  You can set it on your grill and get it good and hot or right over a fire.  Lay your meat on and cook away.  It instills a little bit of salt into the meat but it’s not overwhelming.  No need to salt beforehand