ET Suggestion Some thoughts on team stacking

HarryAimpotter

Team stacking has always been an issue on FA servers. I have an idea that might reduce this problem.

I'm sure that right now there is a rule that states  "teams must be balanced etc..", but most of the players don't seem to care about that and enforcing that rule is almost impossible because you can't warn or ban the entire team for team stacking. 

What I propose is that we change the rules as follows: "if teams are uneven, the player(s) with the lowest XP from the team with more players has to switch teams, until the teams are even". That way it is clear who is responsible for fixing the teams and admins can then enforce this rule. It will be clear  who is actually breaking the rules. If the player with the lowest XP is not willing to switch teams, then we can make screenshots of this behavior and those players can be warned, temporally banned, etc, for breaking the rules.

Yes, I know that XP doesn't show real skill or what ever, but at least that is some kind of basis for fixing the teams, since FA servers don't have auto balance script, that a lot of other servers have.

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Like 2

Hey mate,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I disagree. People with low XP may be new players/returning players/new to our servers and may not the rules that well. To have them take the responsibility alone of looking after the teams from the getgo isn't fair and will most likely drive them out if they are getting warned, kicked, banned for not helping. If XP was the basis of which we evened teams, I would say that people with the highest XP should move because they know the rules, the regulars, the maps well. BUT, this is not the case, I feel everyone playing should play a role and take responsibility for evening the teams. If you notice the teams are uneven, a simple PM to an admin, or "even teams guys" in mainchat would suffice. Instead of having set rules on who should move teams, I think we should all use common sense and think who would be most suitable to move to even it out. In a 10v10, I usually look at the top 3-4 players on each team to make sure the skill level is roughly divided equally, the other players generally dont affect the teams that much, its the top players that do so thats what you need to look out for. (When i say top players i dont mean highest XP - i mean skill level).

Something to think about, but again thanks for the suggestion mate, we appreciate you trying to get involved and helping. ;)

Edited by CheepHeep
  • 100 2

Ok, I kind of agree that making new players responsible for switching teams is maybe a bad idea. But saying that everyone should be responsible is even a worse, because if everybody is responsible then actually in reality no one is. Breaking the rules should have consequences. Like I sayd you can't hold the entire team accountable for team stacking. I have lots of complaints against so called high skilled regular players for team stacking like Elk, r0p, and some others, I cant remember them all atm. Every time I ask some high-skilled regular player to switch teams to even up they laugh at me and tell to f*** off, basically. They just don't give a damn. Trying to even the teams by skill wise is also a slippery slope, because its hard to determine for sure who exactly is that skilled player who has to switch. So maybe change the rule that the highest XP player has to switch. The fact is that these so-called high skilled players don't give a f*** about even teams, they only want to frag. I will start making screenshots of these cases, you will see what I mean.

What I mean is, everyone should try to help if they can, it shouldnt fall on a single or a small group of people. Breaking the rules does have consequences, repeat stackers get punished, this i assure you. Moving highest XP players wont always make the teams even. Also, people may be more inclined to !resetmyxp so they dont get picked. On top of that, those with high XP may feel they are being targeted and moved all the time. IMO, if you play long enough on a server, you can categories players in to 3 groups, below average, average and good because you'd know the players well enough. I don't think its difficult its just that people dont listen all the time, in which case you should call an admin. 

Perhaps you should apply and help us out with this mate. 

17 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

repeat stackers get punished

Please answer this: If one team has 9 players and the other team has 6 players and nobody switches, even if asked repeatedly, then who are you going to punish for breaking the rules?

21 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

Moving highest XP players wont always make the teams even

Nothing will make the teams always even, but it will make things better. I think everybody will agree that 7 vs 8 is more fair than 9 vs 6.

23 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

you should call an admin

So it will become a responsibility of the players in the weaker team to seek help against abuse?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Please answer this: If one team has 9 players and the other team has 6 players and nobody switches, even if asked repeatedly, then who are you going to punish for breaking the rules?

We would !putteam someone. If one of the 9 players aren't interested in helping out then, even if it was in the rules that they would have to move because they have more XP, they still wouldnt. So adding that rule about highest XP wont make a difference. Fact of the matter is, some people just dont care but we try our best to do what we can which is why we recruit to get as much help as possible. If this happens frequently and you see it, you should join us so you can help sort it out straight away. Also we are on discord a lot, it would take 5 seconds to write a message to call for help. If you haven't got discord, i would recommend you get it, its pretty helpful when these situations arise.

Edited by CheepHeep
  • Like 1

• Platinum VIP
14 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

We would !putteam someone. If one of the 9 players aren't interested in helping out then, even if it was in the rules that they would have to move because they have more XP, they still wouldnt. So adding that rule about highest XP wont make a difference. Fact of the matter is, some people just dont care but we try our best to do what we can which is why we recruit to get as much help as possible. If this happens frequently and you see it, you should join us so you can help sort it out straight away. Also we are on discord a lot, it would take 5 seconds to write a message to call for help. If you haven't got discord, i would recommend you get it, its pretty helpful when these situations arise.

Dude, that just does not happen. Not on Jay 1, anyway, and if at all, so rare it's not even enough to matter. We'll !Putteam, "come to Discord", etc rarely does anything. So many times, admins are playing, teams are off, people are posting to even teams and nothing happens. You posted above that it shouldn't fall on a small group of people. Well, it does fall on a small group of people - Admins. The excuse "Admins want to have fun, too and may miss the call to even teams" which has been posted on here before, is silly. Admins have a JOB first, to maintain the server, fun comes second.

During the day, when the servers are full it's not so bad, but late night, when there's only about 20 people total and teams will be off by 3 or 4 people and no one does anything about it, it's frustrating

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Dude, that just does not happen. Not on Jay 1, anyway, and if at all, so rare it's not even enough to matter. We'll !Putteam, "come to Discord", etc rarely does anything. So many times, admins are playing, teams are off, people are posting to even teams and nothing happens. You posted above that it shouldn't fall on a small group of people. Well, it does fall on a small group of people - Admins. The excuse "Admins want to have fun, too and may miss the call to even teams" which has been posted on here before, is silly. Admins have a JOB first, to maintain the server, fun comes second.

During the day, when the servers are full it's not so bad, but late night, when there's only about 20 people total and teams will be off by 3 or 4 people and no one does anything about it, it's frustrating

Admins do have a responsibility to look after the teams but it is a game and they want to have fun too. That being said, if you see any admins regularly neglecting their duties, please report it WITH proof. If this happens as frequently as you are suggesting/insinuating, I expect a bunch of reports from you in no time.

You are on Discord yet I never see you post a message or ask for help when the teams are uneven. Why? 

Edited by CheepHeep
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

1st image: You are on the stronger team? Why didnt you move to help?

2nd image: You can see in chat, Buckwild is asking for someone to move. You also called for teams, good.

What is the issue here?

Edited by CheepHeep
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP
7 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

Admins do have a responsibility to look after the teams but it is a game and they want to have fun too. That being said, if you see any admins regularly neglecting their duties, please report it WITH proof. If this happens as frequently as you are suggesting/insinuating, I expect a bunch of reports from you in no time.

You are on Discord yet I never see you post a message or ask for help when the teams are uneven. Why? 

Why?? Because I gave up, that's why and if Admins want to have fun over being admins (Which I JUST pointed out and you obviously ignored) then don't be admins! Did those people join just to have the F|A tags? Because tags don't mean anything in ET anymore. Do your job. Do you know how many times I've used my bind to even teams and it gets ignored? You want an example. I love the guy but when is the last time Butters ever did one thing that was related to being an admin? I've never see him. EVER respond to anyone calling out to even teams. 

I have said this before to long time regulars (b2 server as example here) who does make the difference to teams: please check the /scores and kr BEFORE joining. How simple is that.

Some have given lvls to help us few admins out there, but yet I have seen only one doing so. It is a bummer.

I can give you lvl if you want to help @HarryAimpotter, or even better I have also asked you to apply and really help.

Yes, we need proof about teams and if we get some, I'm pretty sure the admins that play on each server, they know the guys who tend to stack and therefore they get spanked if it comes to that.

I just cant understand how competitive ppl are these days that they purposely find themselfs in a same team with the few certain fraggers. THAT pisses me off alot and especially if I move someone and they start crying about it.

So to sum it up, we expect our regulars to have the common sense, as they are more in numbers than admins. Admins are also humans who'd love to play and enjoy, not to be referee 24/7 as ppl get tired of it fast. Co-operation is the key for fun.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP
2 minutes ago, RendeL said:

I have said this before to long time regulars (b2 server as example here) who does make the difference to teams: please check the /scores and kr BEFORE joining. How simple is that.

Some have given lvls to help us few admins out there, but yet I have seen only one doing so. It is a bummer.

I can give you lvl if you want to help @HarryAimpotter, or even better I have also asked you to apply and really help.

Yes, we need proof about teams and if we get some, I'm pretty sure the admins that play on each server, they know the guys who tend to stack and therefore they get spanked if it comes to that.

I just cant understand how competitive ppl are these days that they purposely find themselfs in a same team with the few certain fraggers. THAT pisses me off alot and especially if I move someone and they start crying about it.

So to sum it up, we expect our regulars to have the common sense, as they are more in numbers than admins. Admins are also humans who'd love to play and enjoy, not to be referee 24/7 as ppl get tired of it fast. Co-operation is the key for fun.

Hey Rendel! How's it going?

Look, man, in my thread about scores, it was posted there is no competition in ET anymore, lol. 

44 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

Even if it was in the rules that they would have to move because they have more XP, they still wouldnt.

But then they would get a warning, like in case of breaking any other rules. After that another warning, maybe a temporary ban and so on..

If you state the rules clearly then people have no chance but to follow them. If rules are clear then people will be peer pressured to follow them.