Other ET crashing everytime [ ]

PhoeniXx

Question

It started when I took a new and a better pc with more graphics and all

All over a better system from the last one... I copied and pasted whole of my wolfenstein ET folder from the old pc to the new one

It used to crash sometimes after that... But now whenever I start the game it crashes irrespective of the server I join... 

El! Tried to help me - 

1. I tried the pk3 cleaner to remove all shit files and all it didn't work

2. I tried the hunkmegs and sound mega thingy

3. I downloaded a new et and installed as a separate game.... But still it crashed

4. I tried playing via etlegacy and still it's crashing

My antivirus and pc are all new... So I really don't know what's the issue that's causing it...

If someone helps me... It would be really great

• Sad 1

so u say u have crashes on other games.. 

pc is brand new..   is it all uptoo date.?

do u even have a graphics card driver installed? 

its really hard to help with out sitin in front of it. u could look see if u have drivers for ur card..  also if u have some off the wall aspect ratio and et doesnt recognize it it could  not work. do u have the aspect ratio numbers correct .. if u flip flop em it will crash.or revert to stock. but when i test it  i get a error opgl 

not to familiar with w10 dreding the day i get it..lol  u could check ur dxdiag to see if its graphics..  kinda sounds like it tho with it crashing in other games. do u have some 3d bs running?

one thing i do when my et not working right is  click the eted icon see what it says..

Edited by captnconcrete

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

do u even have a graphics card driver installed? 

I installed the latest drivers, remotely. 

Somehow I have a feeling it's something to do with either bad GPU or resolution causing issue. Spend few hours in remote session and still can't figure out why it crashes after some time. 

Do a test for screen resolution with a local host set up directly using a shortcut properties target command

"F:\Wolfenstein- Enemy Territory\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +r_customwidth "800" +r_customheight "600" +set r_mode "-1" +set g_gametype 2 +set sv_pure 0 +vid_restart +devmap goldrush

This will load a hosted server with no players with a custom resolution and disconnecting the display setting the game type to 2 so it will use a local file or etconfig to setup a local host and the local host will have goldrush on it when it opens

If this works your having a display issue with sync

If it doesn't work and it still crashes at that time open event viewer applications report 

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Application.evtx

If no log is present then install direct x again

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DoubleDragon said:

If no log is present then install direct x again

Q - how direct X will resole the issue? ET use OpenGL and not Direct X. 

I do not know if you ever tried, but did you start the game as an administrator? If not, try to see , I saw that it had solved the problem of some people, it's worth a try!:)

Otherwise, I saw that others had solved the problem by doing a system restore

I also found this: https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/303032/game-crashes-or-closes-unexpectedly

Edited by Young Fox

26 minutes ago, Leatherface said:

" It can be that you have to many maps in your etmain. Try to clean it up a bit. "

On 9/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, PhoeniXx said:

3. I downloaded a new et and installed as a separate game.... But still it crashed

4. I tried playing via etlegacy and still it's crashing

He's already tried a clean installation so it's been proven that it's not the same issue.

• Like 1

Direct X will apply a third party binary for video buffers that came out when the game was released in Windows XP Sp1 reinstalling this driver will update the required binaries with windows update for installed software

He may have to disable the video driver completely and shut down the service for his video device driver as well if it is related to video buffers and run directly from on board

But as my first post suggests it is reading it as a Pentium 3 not a 9th Gen and he is probably having compatibility issues that windows 10 can't resolve thus suggesting direct x may be required

Windows 10 does have DX 11+ by defalut but ET was designed for DX 9C and below he is possibly incompatible through hardware design with the board as well per video card specs

He's got to reverse engineer the setup to get it compatiable

Or he's going to have to make a video kernel or use a third party driver that is compatible with the game not the motherboard to run the video card buffers 

There can be a lot of possibilities for this to go wrong and the most important one is the processor not reading correctly during console load time when game starts

Did the chipset get updated before the drivers were installed that can also cause C++ to become unstable in the WIM 

• 100 1

41 minutes ago, DoubleDragon said:

But as my first post suggests it is reading it as a Pentium 3 not a 9th Gen and he is probably having compatibility issues that windows 10 can't resolve thus suggesting direct x may be required

This has never been an issue. It says Pentium 3 for my CPU, an i7 4790k. The game's old and all it knows is old CPUs.

intelpentium3.jpg.c768fb0b1caf3adb1827320febe7b28a.jpg

The problem is most likely his graphics card.

If other games don't work even after driver re-installation, the only things I can suggest are:

-Reinstalling Windows, using the recovery option (I'm assuming you don't have installation media), then installing fresh drivers.
-Getting a new GPU

I'd try #1 first. I've had issues like yours caused by a corrupt Windows 10 v1803 installation.
(EDIT: If you want to try reinstalling Windows, put drivers on a flash drive before you do this in case your Ethernet/WiFi adapter doesn't work after the re-installation, feel free to hit me up if you need help)

Why is DirectX being mentioned? ET uses OpenGL. Two completely different APIs.

Edited by Xernicus
Get drivers first!
  • 100 1

30 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

I'd try #1 first. I've had issues like yours caused by a corrupt Windows 10 v1803 installation.
(EDIT: If you want to try reinstalling Windows, put drivers on a flash drive before you do this in case your Ethernet/WiFi adapter doesn't work after the re-installation, feel free to hit me up if you need help)

Indeed, I had a lot of problem caused by this version, check that you version 1903 are well installed, if it is not the case, it is unfortunately necessary to do a system reset, and install the 1903 version of Windows 10 ..

• 100 1

I remember installing Windows 10 around December for ransom, could get ET running the first days, but then after it started to lag and crash constantly, dunno what happened, came back to Windows 7 :D

Don't know a lot about GPU issues, so lets try removing that card, maybe?

If you can't get it running I suggest installing another Windows version or use another one via Virtual PC in the worst of cases. :(

Good Luck my friend ;)

Edited by Mordecai