Windows Folder Permissions

Renegade Pig

• ET Member

@DoubleDragon   Im using win10 and opened compmgmt.msc  and I do not see any  Local users group tab. 

@Snuffs99  I've tried that 20 different ways and i get the same result / error 

• Surprise 1

Group Policy is only applicable for Windows Professional and Enterprise editions.

Here's what I'd do:

-Go to properties, security, advanced. Change the owner to you, and add your user under "change permissions".
Capture.thumb.JPG.6447b154fd2c590ccbeb98a5ad906506.JPG

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

• Leader

This is probably an unneeded post now, but...I would advise following Mr. X's tips.

Thanks @Xernicus , I was going to post this vid-link, then realized that while I have 10-pro, he might not have it! 

(Nor did I watch all of this portion of the vid).

I had found it via this Google search, which may have misleading results:  https://www.google.com/search?q=an+error+occurred+while+applying+security+information+to:&client=opera&hs=Zce&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvvreI85nkAhWBsJ4KHXLrDGUQpwUIJw&biw=1240&bih=658 as noted by Xernicus.

Edited by RedBaird
oops

15 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

Group Policy is only applicable for Windows Professional and Enterprise editions.

Here's what I'd do:

-Go to properties, security, advanced. Change the owner to you, and add your user under "change permissions".
Capture.thumb.JPG.6447b154fd2c590ccbeb98a5ad906506.JPG

That is the route i'd have taken if i'd realised he had already tried to take ownership and failed, probably followed by disabling inheritance had that then failed.

While group policy is applicable to Pro and enterprise editions it can actually be enabled and used in both home and premium editions using a simple batch file.

@Renegade Pig 

Just to add i'd love to know how the fook you managed to create this problem in the first place.  :D

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Spooky how things work out sometimes.

I've been having issues with my SSD so was going through what i wanted to save on my various drives when i came across and old program called GrantPerms64, basically does what the name suggests and gives the account your running permissions etc....I wasnt sure if it would work with windows 10 so removed all account permissions from my ET folder so got denied access, i then ran GrantPerms and poof,all permissions back. 

I've upped it to my mega account if you want to give it a try, its freeware so no cracks or anything nasty. Simply put the folder path into the box (for example C:\enemyterritory ) and then click unlock......should work for you.

https://mega.nz/#!KwBFQAQC!Xs4AdSpOxzsdSxr-iB-0EGIoOq49xOuKfO8LWzgqONU

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Surprise 1

• Leader

I found references and advice-sites for GrantPerms64 from 2018 back to 2013, at least.  

Snuff's post made me realize that I had forgotten all about PowerShell and "DOS" scripts (as Admin).

My Win10 has a  "TakenOwn.exe" in the Windows/System32 folder.  It is version 10.18362.1 and dated 3/18/19,  (That was before I was finally able to update to Win10 1908 on 6/22/19.    

Microsoft info-link Takeown  You could write a batch-file and then execute it.  

• 100 1

If you don't have gpedit.msc or secpol.msc

You will need to do a system restore or a system health check and or use a system disc image to do a clean repair

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows

at this point if you still have this problem you may need to create a new administrator user and take ownership of the file that way

basically your group policies are fubar with home edition I do have a Windows 10 Pro ISO techbench available on gdrive to do a dism repair but not sure if it will work on home edition

but if you have a clean windows 10 install you can use it to upgrade to pro with your digital key

this comes with the dism I currently made for my system and windows 10 pro 64bit iso

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gNLkPANLuxUTlwMkx6WWEtV00

• Leader
3 hours ago, RedBaird said:

My Win10 has a  "TakenOwn.exe" in the Windows/System32 folder. 

2 hours ago, DoubleDragon said:

Home or Pro

I have win10 pro , but it seems that the command has been around since Vista.

What is Takeown EXE?
A: In Windows Vista, Microsoft introduced the Takeown.exe command-line tool, which can be used to take ownership of a file or folder. You need to run this tool from an elevated command prompt window. (Click Start, open the Accessories folder, right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.)Apr 17, 2014

Edited by RedBaird
del blanks in quote #1

• ET Member
7 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Spooky how things work out sometimes.

I've been having issues with my SSD so was going through what i wanted to save on my various drives when i came across and old program called GrantPerms64, basically does what the name suggests and gives the account your running permissions etc....I wasnt sure if it would work with windows 10 so removed all account permissions from my ET folder so got denied access, i then ran GrantPerms and poof,all permissions back. 

I've upped it to my mega account if you want to give it a try, its freeware so no cracks or anything nasty. Simply put the folder path into the box (for example C:\enemyterritory ) and then click unlock......should work for you.

https://mega.nz/#!KwBFQAQC!Xs4AdSpOxzsdSxr-iB-0EGIoOq49xOuKfO8LWzgqONU

GENIUS !!!!

This worked thanks @Snuffs99    and to everyone else that tried as well.

folder and ET back to normal at the moment.

I was messing with the folder and somehow changed the permissions in it, still not quiet sure how.

Won't be doing that again.. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP

What I would have done is logged into the super admin account and set permissions from there

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump the thread, but issues around permissions can be super frustrating with the way Windows likes to hold on to shadow files. I just wanted to add that you can still get to the "real" administrator account on Windows 10. You should be able to login with "administrator" and whatever password you choose after running the following commands from an elevated command prompt (right click, run as admin).

net user administrator /active:yes
net user administrator whatever_password_you_want

I've run into multiple issues over the years that could only be solved by logging in with that account. Kind of like how running something with "sudo" on linux isn't technically the exact same as being the "root" user.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
4 hours ago, bubblehash said:

Sorry to bump the thread, but issues around permissions can be super frustrating with the way Windows likes to hold on to shadow files. I just wanted to add that you can still get to the "real" administrator account on Windows 10. You should be able to login with "administrator" and whatever password you choose after running the following commands from an elevated command prompt (right click, run as admin).

net user administrator /active:yes
net user administrator whatever_password_you_want

I've run into multiple issues over the years that could only be solved by logging in with that account. Kind of like how running something with "sudo" on linux isn't technically the exact same as being the "root" user.

That's what I meant above by logging into Super Admin. I should have posted the commands, so thanks!

• Like 1