Can't connect to any F|A servers

pr3ssure

Make sure you're running the game as admin - right click your ET shortcut, press properties, press the compatibility tab, and check "Run this program as an administrator". Then apply that and launch your game again.

Open ET's console with the `/~ key (below escape if you're in the US) and type cl_allowDownload 1, then press enter. Connect to the server again - you should be good.

• 100 1

6 minutes ago, Mufasa said:

Make sure you're running the game as admin - right click your ET shortcut, press properties, press the compatibility tab, and check "Run this program as an administrator". Then apply that and launch your game again.

Open ET's console with the `/~ key (below escape if you're in the US) and type cl_allowDownload 1, then press enter. Connect to the server again - you should be good.

Same thing is happenening.

And now I downloaded the jaymod thing from here and now I keep getting an error after it downloads the stuff, says 'Fail -OO-: Can't open PK3..' and wont load the server

• 100 1

I'm guessing you're using ETLegacy, right? I think DoubleDragon's idea should work as it'll remove files with '~' in the name. You could also do this manually if you don't want to run an unfamiliar program, delete any files with strange characters like squares, tildes etc. Just try connect to the server after the files have been removed and it'll download the right version of those pk3s. If that doesn't work, I recommend you install the regular ET 2.60b from here and use that.

For future reference, which server was it that you were trying to connect to?

Edited by ElEl
  • Thanks 1

Regarding ET: legacy and tilde files:
Removing the tilde files won't fix the problem if he is using ET:L. He would need to downgrade ET:L to 2.75.

We require the tilde "~" files, and a big issue with ET:L starting with the release of 2.76 some months ago is that it was automatically deleting PK3's with tildes without user notice in violation of federal laws (depending on the country you reside in), and screwing the connection to most well-known servers, including ours. I can't remember whether they uncommitted the change and re-released 2.76, but afaic the solution for ET:L is still to downgrade.

@Shana might be able to give more clarification on this.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

We require the tilde "~" files

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Daredevil fix this by renaming files to zzFilename?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ElEl said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Daredevil fix this by renaming files to zzFilename?

I thought I threw a "afaik" in my post, but looks like I didn't.
Haven't been able to connect to the server lately, but I know we used some "zz" PK's as early as 2014. Also some brackets "]]]]".
I have a bit of free tomorrow where I can see if ET:L 2.76 is able to connect to our servers, but I don't recall DD backing down, rather the dev team and kemon did.

Second edit: oof, I'm tired. I did throw an afaic in there. Could you double check the dates on your pk3 files by viewing them in details mode?

Edited by Xernicus
removed extra "a"
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

thought I threw a "afaik" in my post, but looks like I didn't.
Haven't been able to connect to the server lately, but I know we used some "zz" PK's as early as 2014. Also some brackets "]]]]".
I have a bit of free tomorrow where I can see if ET:L 2.76 is able to connect to our servers, but I don't recall DD backing down, rather the dev team and kemon did.

I just did a clean install of ETLegacy 2.76 and connected to Jay1. Downloaded the needed files and got into the server.

a05e7933ece382bb0c292084806d5ba1.png
51e64579b2c9ecc646e613044e00dcd5.png

The pk3 cleaner or manual deleting should both work.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Barn!e said:

I am using 2.76 and no problems... Dont you have to add the pk3's from main install as its not included with legacy. Pak0 etc.

The main files like pak0 etc. are included in the installation. Those go to the directory that you choose to install ETLegacy in. The rest of the files like map files, menu files etc. are in C:\Users\User\Documents\ETLegacy. There may be a way to move this elsewhere that I haven't found yet but I'm pretty sure this is the default for everyone.

• Thanks 1

• Leader
12 hours ago, pr3ssure said:

Says unpure something and that I'm missing a whole bunch of pk3s.

The most common reason for seeing something like that error is that you did a /disconnect or were disconnected for some other reason.  Many people then try to reconnect to the same server and get an error as below.  This does not sound like your problem, but I thought that I should mention it.

877134331_UnpureClient@jay3190814.jpg.f71288e84bbaa266fad37eecd17edce7.jpg  reconnect doers not work in this case and one should either reload the mod or connect to another server and then return to the first one.

• 100 1

Won't quote posts since it'd be half the topic length.

To clarify - most of FA servers are compatible with 2.76.
If you wish to play without any problems upon connecting then downgrade to 2.75( if using windows ) or 2.74( if using linux or osx ).

If you're missing files then probably you didn't install it properly. You might be missing binaries - unless you provide a detailed log we can only imagine what could go wrong.
Usually unpure errors in etLegacy were resolved by simply rerunning the game whereas in 2.60b and below by starting game with elevated privileges aka run as administrator.

Edit: Thanks for tagging me 🙂

Edited by Shana
  • Thanks 2

doesnt etlegacy save files in a diff location?  i remember back when i messed with it seems to m e i remember there was a issue with how it saved your files. it isnt the same as 2.60b  .

• Like 1