Chess Tournament Discussion/Planning

ElEl

Okay I said I'd host a chess tournament but I've been putting it off because I've never done something like this before and I need some feedback on how it should be done. Here's what I've got planned, please let me know if you find any problems with it OR tell me what you think would be a better way to set this whole thing up.

Before I get into that though, let's talk about sign ups. I'll make a new topic dedicated to that similar to how the ETPro club handled the 1o1 tournament they held, mostly because I'm not expecting a lot of people to sign up and it's quicker than making a google docs sign up form. I'll be making the bracket on Challonge with a random seed and the tournament will likely be running for a week but it can be extended if needed. During that time you should PM whoever your opponent is and set a time and date to have your match/matches (depending on what we all decide on in this thread). Ideally, games should be held on Lichess.org using the 'Play with a friend' button on the right.

Now here's what I've been thinking:

A round robin where each player plays against every other player once. The bracket will look something like this. Time control will be 15 minute + 15 seconds per move. Each match will be a best of 3 games all with the same time control. The player appearing on the top in the bracket will start with white, for example in this image: 48873ac314674ffc35defc548aff4948.png player 6 will start as white. Starting colour will alternate until 3 games have been played. If all games end in a draw, we will move onto tie breaking matches which are timed with 5 minutes + 5 seconds increment and then alternating starting colour until a game has been won. The player appearing on the bottom of the bracket will start as white in the first tie breaker game. It shouldn't matter who you play first as the bracket is just for keeping score and choosing who starts as white. You can play your opponents in any order you choose. If after the tournament has ended and the winner comes down to a tie, those two players will have another set of 3 matches at 15+15 with another tie break at 5+5 if needed.

There's also the matter of takebacks, ultimately it's up to the other player to decide whether or not to accept the takeback but this is all for fun so if it's clear they meant to make a different move and they accidentally clicked the wrong square or something please be fair.

After you've had all of your games with a player and a winner is decided please PM me on Discord or on the forums with links to all the games you've played and also the winner of the match so I can put it in the bracket.

If there's anything you'd like me to clear up in this post please let me know. I'll put the rules as clear as I can in the sign up topic.

@Mordecai @CheepHeep @Rolan001 Mentioning you guys since you were the ones who I saw expressed interest in this. Also please spread the word, I'd rather not just have the 4 of us play. I'll create the sign up topic on Sunday if we decide everything I've got planned is okay or we've found a better way to host it. If this goes well and we get a good number of people interested then I'll put a few more of these together in the future, maybe with a couple changes to time control and game type since there's a few variations out there.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I would like the tournament to be like the ETPRO 1v1 cup.

Round Robin first in 4 or so groups, and the 2 best of each group pass to a double elimination stage.

You know the settings that has winner and loser brackets.

As for the takebacks, I say yes, we are mature enough to play fair I think xD

Also, whenever you post the signups, make it Site Announcement, @daredevil could you help us here ;)

And atm, I will be searching for ppl in servers, dunno if we can make some announcements in server appear. ???

Edited by Mordecai
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, daredevil said:

Ty, but I meant about the Site Announcement stuff hehe.

Anyways, thx for that information. ;)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

Ty, but I meant about the Site Announcement stuff hehe.

Anyways, thx for that information. ;)

Those promo stuff is easy and can be done.. but at this point - first question is how to organize it so that we can achieve optimum and easy flow of tourney. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

So whats the status on the addon which I linked? Can we use it effectively?  Its 50$ addon and that's very costly ... so please check its detail description!

3 hours ago, daredevil said:

So whats the status on the addon which I linked? Can we use it effectively?  Its 50$ addon and that's very costly ... so please check its detail description!

Sorry I was asleep and I just saw all of these replies.

I don't think it's necessary, Challonge does everything this addon does and I've used it many times before with other groups. All I need to do is provide a list of users and it handles the rest. In fact, from reading the description of the types of tournaments, there's a limit on the amount of players that can enter, for single eliminations for example, there can only be 4, 8, 16 or 32 teams. It wouldn't work out if we had 6 people enter cause we'd need either 2 more or 2 less. I'd just feel bad asking you to spend $50 on something that I can do for free elsewhere.

The only thing we'd need is advertising, I can make a banner quite easily like I did for the CAH club a while back. Also maybe some forums awards for winning x amount of these tournaments to give people incentive to play. I can make the images and text for each award if this is idea sounds good.

Maybe the awards could be for winning their first tournament, one for winning 3, for 5 and for 10.

Hopefully it gets to the point where these things are easy enough to make that it only takes 5 minutes to set up each tournament and I can have other people do it for me as well if I'm busy with other stuff.

8 hours ago, Mordecai said:

Round Robin first in 4 or so groups, and the 2 best of each group pass to a double elimination stage.

You know the settings that has winner and loser brackets.

I think I would've preferred to keep this one nice and simple cause it's the first time I'm doing something as big as this, the only other tournaments I've held on Challonge were casual so I only had to use the round robin. I guess once we've finished this we could have the top 2 face each other again? Ultimately it's up to you guys but it'll take longer for me to set it up cause I've only spent time looking into what I proposed in the topic and I'd have to look into setting it up like how you suggested.

A double elimination with 8 players would look something like this. There's a group stage and a final stage which has the winners/losers brackets. Is this what you had in mind?

• Like 2
  • 100 1

21 hours ago, ElEl said:

A double elimination with 8 players would look something like this. There's a group stage and a final stage which has the winners/losers brackets. Is this what you had in mind?

Yep, that is what I mean, like ETPRO 1v1 tournament, but dunno if others are fine, bc I have seen chess tournament here run by round robin. 

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

@ElElits better to make results here on forum. than everyone know who you played against and wich one still must play

Edited by Rolan001

12 hours ago, Rolan001 said:

@ElElits better to make results here on forum. than everyone know who you played against and wich one still must play

Results can stlill be posted here but if El believes he can do the same thing free of charge, why would we ask someone to spend more money unnecessarily? :P

^^If this is what you were talking about.

• Like 3

• Platinum VIP
5 hours ago, CheepHeep said:

Results can stlill be posted here but if El believes he can do the same thing free of charge, why would we ask someone to spend more money unnecessarily? :P

^^If this is what you were talking about.

thats right @CheepHeep

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay with the help of Destiny I found the issues with what I originally proposed.

Looks like the best way to do this is with a Swiss tournament. I just can't figure out how assign colours fairly.

eca66dddcfb455e2c2856e7ce37f1d53.png

Here Player E would get white 4 times in a row and Player D would get black 4 times in a row if the player on top would get white. I'm hoping this is just because of the seed and this won't happen regularly if future tournaments are made with Swiss.

I'm planning on making the sign up page in a couple hours. I'll close it on Saturday and that'll give me Sunday to sort any issues that come up. The tournament will start on Monday. Each game played will be the best of 3 matches. Time control will be 10 minutes with no increment. Tie breaks will be 5+5 as said in the first post. The rules will be much more clear on the sign up post :).

Edited by ElEl
Added a day to how long the sign up period will last
  • Like 1
  • 100 1