Ultimate survival fail

Husa

Strangely enough I am going to have to offer a different perspective on this. I still enjoy what he does. With all the resources needed for the high quality production of the show it would be practically impossible for him to be off in the deep wilderness. Imagine all the battery packs for cams, food/water for the crew, special and safety equipment for the film crew, etc.... all that adds up to tremendous bulk and weight.

Sure it may not be way out in a desert or deep into a frozen tundra but the techniques taught could still save a life, perhaps even yours.

So while everyone else laughs at him I will continue to learn from him as I do not expect him to risk his life for my knowledge and entertainment. Oh and if you ever survive a plane crash or get stranded and don't know what to do bet you might feel just a little stupid as you think "hmmmmm..... you know I really should have watched that guy. Well nothing left to do now I suppose but lay back and die".

Fail no.... well done deception for the purpose of teaching survival yes he gets a big +1 from me.

ultimate fail. that food shortage and him eating weird stuff all looks fake. no one would be able to survive so little food for 2-3 days and exert so much.

You might be well surprised. Once the body burns out its energy from the protein and sugars it starts the process of breaking down muscle and other tissues to fuel itself. Though it feels unpleasant (understatement) and puts you in a state of poor focus you can survive for extended periods in this state. I do not say this to be controversial or start an argument but the perfect example of this is the Holocaust. Many were forced to work to death on minimal food (often turning to eating grass and roots for something extra) and they lingered in some cases for months in this state. They may have looked near dead when they were freed to the point it was painful to look at but in the end they were alive.

Strangely enough I am going to have to offer a different perspective on this. I still enjoy what he does. With all the resources needed for the high quality production of the show it would be practically impossible for him to be off in the deep wilderness. Imagine all the battery packs for cams, food/water for the crew, special and safety equipment for the film crew, etc.... all that adds up to tremendous bulk and weight.

Sure it may not be way out in a desert or deep into a frozen tundra but the techniques taught could still save a life, perhaps even yours.

So while everyone else laughs at him I will continue to learn from him as I do not expect him to risk his life for my knowledge and entertainment. Oh and if you ever survive a plane crash or get stranded and don't know what to do bet you might feel just a little stupid as you think "hmmmmm..... you know I really should have watched that guy. Well nothing left to do now I suppose but lay back and die".

Fail no.... well done deception for the purpose of teaching survival yes he gets a big +1 from me.

You might be well surprised. Once the body burns out its energy from the protein and sugars it starts the process of breaking down muscle and other tissues to fuel itself. Though it feels unpleasant (understatement) and puts you in a state of poor focus you can survive for extended periods in this state. I do not say this to be controversial or start an argument but the perfect example of this is the Holocaust. Many were forced to work to death on minimal food (often turning to eating grass and roots for something extra) and they lingered in some cases for months in this state. They may have looked near dead when they were freed to the point it was painful to look at but in the end they were alive.

Very good post, i can agree with you on all above said ;):)

@antithought

Wow very nicely put! I had not thought abt the filming gear and labour required and how the show is more about survival techniques.

till now i was looking at that show as a adventure / reality show kind of thing.

Not too many people I have spoken with see it as a survival skills show and I think it was designed that way. I believe that either Mr. Grylls or his producers knew that a purely survival skills show would not have a broad appeal to most demographics over the years, but a show about a guy putting himself in dangerous situations and trying to get out alive would. So as people sit back and watch him possibly (in their minds) die or get injured for their amusement sub-conciously they are receiving skills to survive should they find themselves in one of these situations. Or at least that is my theory. Either way his survival methods are sound and some actually very clever.

I grew up in a wild area of the US where hunting and fishing and "survivalist" stuff is common sense. My dad taught me to hunt when I was a kid. We cut our own firewood, fished, and drew water from a well. So I am not super impressed by these shows, but they are great entertainmnet for "city people" who have never been off the grid. Good way for people to learn what to do, or at least how to think in those situations, even if there is a camera man following the guy around.

I went to Kilauea (on Hawaii) a few years ago, where that video was taken, and that is exactly what it looks like. Yes there are cars driving by. But if you fall in the lava, those cars 100 yards away may as well be on the moon.

I went to Australia when I was in college and took a car around the continent with another American kid. We got lost many times and it was so hot we often got sick. I swam in rivers that had crocodiles, and in Shark Bay with the sharks. Nobody followed me around with a camera and no one was there to help if we got hurt.

• Like 1