Burn a Koran Day

AntiThought

The Koran,The Qur'an, لقرآن, or however else you like to spell/pronounce the Islamic holy text..... There is a church in Gainesville, Florida which is about to host a "Burn the Koran Day" on Sept. 11, 2010. This church, Dove World Outreach Center, is headed by Dr. Terry Jones author of "Islam is of the Devil" published by Creation House this year August 3rd, 2010. According to Amazon the book is now selling for $12.23 down from $17.99 since its release. That is a 32.02% drop in price in about a month. Anyone else smell conflict of interest? He publishes a book that quickly starts to fail so he publicly burns some Korans to get the attention of the Anti-Muslim group, who then look him up and see he has a book, which they buy and he makes a tidy little profit.

Even if it does not have to do with money and this man truly hates Islam I still have issue with it for several reasons.

-First is that our country (U.S.A.) and others are in a war in the Middle East often fighting Islamic Extremists. If the Korans are burned we give the extremist recruiters a tool to show potential recruits telling them all Americans feel that way further fueling the rate of recruitment which could accelerate the cycle of violence.

-Secondly it will attract some of the "not-so-bright" part of our society to believe as Dr. Jones that all Muslims are prcticing a violent evil faith inciting further Anti-Muslim sentiments in the U.S.A..

-My third problem is the quickly approaching event incites fear among the Muslim community here in our own country that they could face a violent backlash because of this hate filled "Burn a Koran Day".

Although condemned by the U.S. Attourney General and the White House (not to mention our Generals in Iraq/Afghanistan) the church plans to continue the event anyway because it is protected under the First Amendment because it can not be proven that Dr. Jones is hoping to incite violence. It is my hope someone assassinates our friend Dr. Jones (making it look like natural causes of course) before he can further spread his hate and bigotry...... but that is just my opinion.....

He claims he is doing this partly because he feels Islam is a religion that supports violence and oppresses people. Ironically his Bible has many capital punishments and orders of violence and oppression (which I will not post here because of its divisive nature and out of respect for the Christians present- if you want examples PM me but I will not post in the open).

So according to his own religion he seems to be wrong in his action "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. " Matthew 7:1-7.

I just wanted to get other peoples take on this event. I will post my resources used below if you would like to take a look yourself.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39053525/ns/us_news/ ------------------------------MSNBC

http://www.doveworld.org -------------------------------------------------The church's website

http://www.doveworld.org/blog/ten-reasons-to-burn-a-koran ---------------------------------The church's reasoning for the Koran burning

http://www.islamisofthedevil.com/ ----------------------------------------Dr. Jones site about his book

http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Devil-Terry-Jones/dp/1616381728 -------------------------------Amazon.com listing for "Islam is of the Devil"

The Bible- New International Version

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just concerned that this Dr. Jones is about to spark some violence against Muslims with his ill informed rhetoric. Why can't people figure out that the average Muslim is not one of the Muslim Extremists. When I worked at Hartsfield Jackson Airport in Atlanta, Ga. I worked alongside many Muslim employees and not one of them I spoke with agreed with Al Queda, The Martyrs Bribade, or any other Extremist group's violent tactics. They were and are just average people not really any different than Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, us Pagans, or any other religious group. Every group has its Extremists that damage the overall community's reputation- I am tired of seeing a whole people punished and targeted for the actions of a few.

Terry Jones spreaded his hate before in Cologne/Germany. We kicked him out. :rolleyes:

Yeah I read he used to be over there leading the Christliche Gemeinde Koeln (CGD). I am proud of that church for expelling him on grounds of "Spiritual Abuse". Unfortunately I don't think we will be so lucky as you were. :help

Yeah I read he used to be over there leading the Christliche Gemeinde Koeln (CGD). I am proud of that church for expelling him on grounds of "Spiritual Abuse". Unfortunately I don't think we will be so lucky as you were. :help

I doubt they would expel him either. This guy is probably doing it on purpose just to create media controversy. Every idiot wants to make a name for themselves good or bad

Respect all the people that died on September 11

all al queda will burn in hell big thank you to all are troops making are countrys safe from all terrorist and you get 50 people causing more trouble for are troops are they trying to start a f***ing holy war. I can not see this event getting the go ahead because it's playing in the hands of al queda because they will use this to get more scum terrorist

Ironically his Bible has many capital punishments and orders of violence and oppression (which I will not post here because of its divisive nature and out of respect for the Christians present- if you want examples PM me but I will not post in the open).

Yes, I'm aware the bible contains texts that speak of stoning others/ condemning homosexuality and much more; just as the quaran does as well.

However I must point out that no christian country in this day and age will allow the justice system to condemn a women to fourty lashes for being unfaithful to her husband.

Nobody has to worry about being stoned to death for being gay.

If you do one of these two things in an Islamic country...well you just might find yourself shit out of luck...

My math class is canceled Friday because my professor is observing Ramadan - yay Islam!

On a serious note, yes, Dr. Jones is a fool and most likely just trying to garner attention and make money. Anyone who takes part in this and seriously believes that Muslims are evil is one ignorant individual.

Respect all the people that died on September 11

all al queda will burn in hell big thank you to all are troops making are countrys safe from all terrorist and you get 50 people causing more trouble for are troops are they trying to start a f***ing holy war. I can not see this event getting the go ahead because it's playing in the hands of al queda because they will use this to get more scum terrorist

The Extremists already believe they are waging a Holy War but I do agree with you that this could make things much worse for the soldiers. The event does not have the go ahead- the burning permit was denied. The church has said they will do it anyway. The county says if they go ahead with it they will issue a citation for illegal burning but as of right now the US Attourney General says they are protected by the First ammendment "right" of free speech. I personally fel a little citation is not good enough I feel that if their is an upswing in violence after this happens that the church officials should be charged with Implied Malice for every U.S. Muslim targeted in hate crimes and every U.S. soldier killed above the average monthly war dead. I should like to see them prosecuted in other countries as well for the loss of life of their soldiers and citizens.

Yes, I'm aware the bible contains texts that speak of stoning others/ condemning homosexuality and much more; just as the quaran does as well.

However I must point out that no christian country in this day and age will allow the justice system to condemn a women to fourty lashes for being unfaithful to her husband.

Nobody has to worry about being stoned to death for being gay.

If you do one of these two things in an Islamic country...well you just might find yourself shit out of luck...

You are speaking of the legal system of those countries this man (Dr.Jones) is speaking of the actual religion. There is a fine distinction here. I am referring only to religion not to acts of government even if based on those principles. That is a topic for another discussion. What I was trying to convey is he feels entitled to spread his hatred of their religion because its holy book gives commands for violence while his own holy book does the same, Thus the bible scripture I used. I am not trying to make malicious statements about Christianity just casting light on this one man's hypocrisy.

Blokes a tube, freedom of speech is one thing but to me this is incitement to racial/religious hatred and just playing into the hands of the extremist recruiters.

Different countries different laws I know, but over here I'm sure that the authorities would stop this happening.