!Prob with Win 7 USB Installation!

FinZeroX

Hi all,

I've copied Windows 7 files on a USB drive(Kingston DataTraveller 4GB) as the tutorials told me to do. But now I have a problem...

Everything has set correctly on USB drive and boot sectors have been created.

Still this pops up when I choose the USB drive from the Boot Menu: A disk read error. Press Ctrl+alt+del to restart.

What to do? Should I add the drive to the boot priority list?

~Fs

It's usually a simple copy&paste thing when the flashdrive is already flagged active. Anyway, since I'm currently re-installing Windows on a laptop here I've put together a quick and easy tutorial moments ago which works 100%.

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/99-creating-a-windows-vista7-usb-flashdrive/

Emm, that's the hard part: your tutorial only works for Win7 and Vista(have seen a couple of those). I checked it up, swap the file system from NTFS to FAT32, still not operational.

How can you enter BIOS, when the AsRock MoBo boot screen gives you Setup as F2 and Boot Menu as F11?

So any suggestions?

Emm, that's the hard part: your tutorial only works for Win7 and Vista(have seen a couple of those). I checked it up, swap the file system from NTFS to FAT32, still not operational.

How can you enter BIOS, when the AsRock MoBo boot screen gives you Setup as F2 and Boot Menu as F11?

So any suggestions?

Enter the BIOS with F2 and the boot menu with F11?

Ye but can't find any page to allow USB booting...?

But after all, I can select the device from the Boot List.

There is no explicit option to allow USB booting. If it recognizes your flashdrive in the boot list, you should be able to bott from it.

Hm, yet we come back to the same question: Why can't I boot from the FAT32-formated Kingston USB drive, which has it's partition activated, boot sector created, boot image loaded on ISO and ISO loaded on drive trought Windows' DVD-TO-USB -tool?

And the error message was:

A disk read error occurred.

Press Ctrl+ALT+DEL to restart.

Hm, yet we come back to the same question: Why can't I boot from the FAT32-formated Kingston USB drive, which has it's partition activated, boot sector created, boot image loaded on ISO and ISO loaded on drive trought Windows' DVD-TO-USB -tool?

And the error message was:

A disk read error occurred.

Press Ctrl+ALT+DEL to restart.

You're doing something wrong.

Either simply burn it to a DVD or try this guide.

Lol I wonder why so much trouble. Using a USB is suppose to be easy peasy =P (i piss on your bios !!!). But if thats giving you trouble just go with a DVD (you can't go wrong !!!!)

You're doing something wrong.

Either simply burn it to a DVD or try this guide.

Yar do what this sauerkraut said :lol:

i am confused with your question

are you trying to instal win 7 on usb drive ?

or u have iso file on usb drive and trying to install on ur pc through usb drive ?

well if you are trying to install though usb drive and u have iso file then it wont work

if your usb drive is bootable then u would have to extract iso image of operating system on to your usb drive

and change .ini files in windows installation directory which is a pain in butt

aaah i see what ur problem is

u installed win 7 on fat 32

win 7 doesnt suport fat32 it only supports ntfs

and u cant format usb as ntfs !!

if yo uwanna do a usb boot then there is only one way

u need a usb hard drive which u can format as ntfs and put win 7 on it and it will work fine

Edited by tdkxeon

Ye, that AsRock's old piece of shit, I'd like to wipe my ass with it XD

Luckily it's not my primary target for Win7, just a test piece.

And tdkxeon, I've tested it on NTFS too and trying to install Win7 to computer from the USB drive.

We can use FAT32 even if it's not compatible with Win7 because you're booting from the thumb drive, no previos OS used.

And btw, you can format a thumb drive to NTFS, you just have to adjust the drive for "Better performance" from the Properties and then format.

E: Thanks for teh help, pals :)

I'll go with the DVD, even if my DVD-drive usually decides when it's operational or not...

Ye, that AsRock's old piece of shit, I'd like to wipe my ass with it XD

Luckily it's not my primary target for Win7, just a test piece.

And tdkxeon, I've tested it on NTFS too and trying to install Win7 to computer from the USB drive.

We can use FAT32 even if it's not compatible with Win7 because you're booting from the thumb drive, no previos OS used.

And btw, you can format a thumb drive to NTFS, you just have to adjust the drive for "Better performance" from the Properties and then format.

E: Thanks for teh help, pals :)

I'll go with the DVD, even if my DVD-drive usually decides when it's operational or not...

wrong

wrong and

wrong !

do some googling !

wrong

wrong and

wrong !

do some googling !

What the hell are you talking about? I've had several USB flashdrives formatted NTFS... And I'm afraid you won't get a NTFS flashdrive running when you're trying to install Vista/7 with it. Oh, and changing .ini files? Have you ever installed Windows that way?