ET Legacy and Beginners

ant1y
Go to solution Solved by ant1y,

Hi, asking for a friend mainly here, my 2 old pals who used to play years ago with me trying to get back into ET, i was advising on servers to play I recommended Beginners.

However they couldnt get 2.60b working properly with win10 (although mines fine) due to some stupid bug which apparently a fair few people have, they have to use the new ET Legacy to be able to play without any bugs. Theres just one problem they cannot connect to Beginners XP save with ET Legacy, it gives the following error message. 

Server file name "jaymod/[][][][][]fav6.pk3" is contacting an invalid character for the ET legacy file structure. 

Downloading file denied.

No matter what they cant get on server, so i downloaded legacy and same problem for me, I know this is a minor issue and you may not be too bothered if legacy works or not as its not an "official ET" in a sense. However all other servers work with it (including other FA servers)

I tested it myself and im having the same problems, when I copy files from jay folder to the legacy folder I get a similar error saying they wont allow it to work due to pk3 file name.

Is there any fix for this at all, or is it just a case, anyone who uses legacy cant play on beginners due to the name of your PK3?

ET is already a game thats not as popular as it used to be, limiting ET legacy just due to a pk3 file name seems like a bad idea( i know you havent done this on purpose! its just things like these will effect who can and cannot join the server to help it grow in popularity" 

Due to them not being able to join, we have had to find another UK server to play on in the meantime.  The fix would just be renaming the pk3, but I know then people who play on server will have to redownload it, HOWEVER i dont know how many people use ET legacy, but limiting it accidently of course seems silly

Any fixes? Any other people having same issues? If theres enough demand can you just rename the pk3 from [][][][] to fa.pk3 or something

Edited by ant1y
  • Like 1

The updated 2.76 version of ETL doesn't support ACSll as your finding out 

You will need to install the previous version to connect https://www.etlegacy.com/download/release/275

They know of the problem but haven't fixed it. 

• 100 1

@DoubleDragon Thank you for your answer.

Appreciate it a lot, ill try getting them to DL the old 1, this can be closed now if a mod sees this its been answered and resolved.

• Administrators

We will be changing pk3 on Beg #1 pretty soon :) Just haven't got time to change it. ETL by itself - deletes the user pk3 without their consent like a trojan/virus. They had said they will fix that in ETL 2.77. Let's see. 

PS For me any software which deletes the files from my PC without my permission is Virus. Period. 

• 100 2

get them to try this 

download that 

then to join servers  get them to try using this 

to add servers and what not to et starter pro  

image.thumb.png.a3ebd56707d1532224fce9c0d947c725.png

see if that works i had problems with getting  et to work on my brothers pc and this was the only way he could play at the time may or may not work it's up to you  to try it out 

I am using ETL 2.76. It works fine for me on W10 build 1903 and it works fine on any FA server (i tried all of them including jay3). Jay3  needs a workaround easy to use when you know it.

So my recommendation is to go with ETL 2.76.

P.S. I stopped using W:ET 2.60b because it was crashing about every map on my new PC (8th gen motherboard).

Gengis

Edited by Gengis

23 minutes ago, DoubleDragon said:

If your transferring server files from folder to folder it might work but not with downloading

Here is what i do :

Options-Game-Download

Set get missing files from server and use HTTP/FTP downloads to NO.

Join the server (it will work for jay3)

To make sure i had the maps, i joined jay1 and jay2 first.

Any other FA server works normally.

Gengis

P.S.

@kajto3 is using ETL 2.76 just like me and may also help with that.

Edited by Gengis

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Gengis said:

Set get missing files from server and use HTTP/FTP downloads to NO.

That's very wrong info. That will not help. 

Hardcore, silent1 where changed due to ETL changes long time back and hence it's working for you. :P

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Gengis said:

@daredevil

Well i just joined jay3 with ETL 2.76.

We speak about the same server ?

Gengis

How? Unless u have same files which same checksum -- server should not allow u to join. Taking about jay3 as well. 

@daredevil

Oooopppps

I have been kicked out.

If you saw the message ... i hope it can help.

Gengis

Edited by Gengis

25 minutes ago, Blo0dy said:

I saw you connecting and disconnecting 😅 goodluck !

It seems my work around doesnt always work.

Gengis

• Like 1
  • 100 1