Indian slapping sport | MotD 18.05.19

DJ aka GDR DJ

• Leader

Is this related to calling Indians "Red skins"?  OOps, wrong "Indians"! :o 

Which leads to another question:  why did Euro-Colonials call Native Americans "Indians" long after they knew that Columbas had not landed in India or anywhere near it? :?: 

3 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Is this related to calling Indians "Red skins"?  OOps, wrong "Indians"! :o 

Which leads to another question:  why did Euro-Colonials call Native Americans "Indians" long after they knew that Columbas had not landed in India or anywhere near it? :?: 

It has already been built into the public awareness, and there was not really a much better name to call them, and would be hard to start telling people "Okey, from now on you will call the American Indians this and that" since we have the internet, it would be easier. But still think about it. What would they be called, and how do you change the public to label them as that thing you come up with. Not easy to do it. 

• Like 1

• Leader
14 hours ago, Vindstot said:

Not easy to do it. 

Some academics in the USA are using the term "AmerInds" now.  (or is that out of favor already?)

I will be sending Vindstot's video to my dog-grooming nephew and I will ask him, "how would you trim this creature?"

Edited by RedBaird
What Does the Cat Say?
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Some academics in the USA are using the term "AmerInds" now.  (or is that out of favor already?)

Well, that is something I have never heard in my life. That is what I mean. How do you get a new word to people and make them say "alright, this is a better word, I will use it from now on, and drop the old one I have been using in my entire life"

• Leader

@Vindstot Maybe you should not start using "AmerInd", as some websites describe it as 'old-fashioned' or 'falling out of use'.  :D  It seems to have started as the name for one of two major Native American language groups in the Western Hemisphere.

N. American Amderinds are said to prefer the term "Native Americans" now, which leaves open the preferred name for S.American Indios now. 

Don't worry, it will all change again during your lifetime, as do other terms and words.  

• Like 1

Of course it will keep changing. Language is not static, but dynamic. It always keeps changing. Naturally every languages change, it is not so easy to try to change it yourself. In Hungary it has actually happend, when so many foreigners came to Hungary after the Ottomans were forced out of Hungary, that the new technologies they brough with themselves the Hungarians didnt have word for it. After a while Hungarians got fed up wit it, that for example if you want to build a house, you need to speak German

• Surprise 1