Is this server node within your network?

Arkinder

Hi,

Starting today I've been receiving packet loss while playing on the Jaymod 1 server. Below is a copy of the WinMTR report:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                             192.168.0.1 -    0 |  121 |  121 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |

|      **-***-***-***-***.sta.embarqhsd   -    1 |  117 |  116 |   22 |   25 |   37 |   27 |

|       **-***-***-***-***.sta.embarqhsd  -    1 |  117 |  116 |   22 |   28 |   91 |   28 |

|         ***-***-***-***.centurylink.net -    1 |  117 |  116 |   32 |   37 |   55 |   32 |

|bb-wnpkflxe-jx9-01-xe-1-1-0.core.century -    1 |  117 |  116 |   48 |   52 |   88 |   49 |

|              nap-brdr-01.inet.qwest.net -    1 |  117 |  116 |   55 |   60 |   83 |   58 |

|                           63.146.26.138 -   37 |   49 |   31 |   55 |   58 |   83 |   64 |

|     CHOOPA-LLC.ear3.NewYork1.Level3.net -    1 |  117 |  116 |   63 |   69 |  118 |   68 |

|                vl42-br2.pnj1.choopa.net -    1 |  117 |  116 |   64 |   71 |  117 |   72 |

|                               8.9.4.227 -    1 |  117 |  116 |   64 |   67 |   88 |   66 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Is this node within your network?

Regards,

Arkinder

Edited by Arkinder
I omit words occasionally.

• Leader

63.146.26.138 -   37 |   49 |   31 |   55 |   58 |   83 |   64 |

appears to be another Qwest node

ISP:    CenturyLink
Organization:    CenturyLink
AS Number:    AS209 Qwest Communications Company, LLC

Hey RedBaird,

Thanks for the quick response! I'll give it some time to see if the problem is corrected before contact my ISP.

Regards,

Arkinder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/diagnostics/diagnosing-network-issues-with-mtr/

If you were actually experiencing packet losses the 37% "loss" visible @ 63.146.26.138 would propagate downwards. It doesn't and the only loss that should interest you is the one next to 8.9.4.227, which is 1 packet in total aka virtually no packet loss.

"When analyzing MTR output, you are looking for two things: loss and latency. If you see a percentage of loss at any particular hop, that may be an indication that there is a problem with that particular router. However, it is common practice among some service providers to rate limit the ICMP traffic that MTR uses. This can give the illusion of packet loss when there is in fact no loss. To determine if the loss you’re seeing is real or due to rate limiting, take a look at the subsequent hop. If that hop shows a loss of 0.0%, then you are likely seeing ICMP rate limiting and not actual loss:"

That's what the ISP I work for does in his backbone infrastructure and clients quite often send us similar complaints, which are unjustified, because all the packets go through without any problems, but internal routers have more important tasks than reacting to ICMP queries.

Were you actually lagging harder than usual on the server/experienced visible packet losses?

.r...

• Thanks 1

Hi .r...,

I didn't take a screenshot of the lagometer in game. Periodically there would be vertical red lines close together in clusters of 2 - 3 which indicates packet loss. The effect in game is similar to packet clustering on a wireless connection. Lag (after I referenced this on the server an extension blocked it but perhaps it will resume working) and Packet Loss are not the same. The game uses UDP packets so if the delay is great enough the packets would be treated as loss. With that in mind, the issue resolved itself the next day without a need to contact my ISP. The loss shown for node at 63.146.26.138 is still present while the 1% loss on other nodes is not. When using WinMTR on node 63.146.26.138 there is no loss. With the following node CHOOPA-LLC.ear3.NewYork1.Level3.net there is loss at 63.146.26.138. Given the original WinMTR report it might be safe to assume that the loss is from the 2nd hop as every subsequent node's sent and received was affected. I will make certain to test this should the problem occur again.

Regards,

Arkinder

• Like 1