Jump to content

Player Gaming Stats for =F|A= Servers
=F|A= BEGINNERS #2 XPS         =F|A= HARDCORE XPS        =F|A= SILENT RECRUITING XPS       =F|A= NOQUARTER XPS

Night Hunter

Netgear's new router aims to make you a better gamer by lowering lag

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, GalacticaQT said:

That's really my only issue, is the lack of truth-in-advertising.

Welcome to 'new' Apple world!   Old one was Steve's one. New one is from Cook! Everyone likes to do hyper bole!

 

12 hours ago, GalacticaQT said:

There is only SO much a router can do to improve your internet.

Depending on which 2 routers you are comparing. My friend is using Netgear and it says it supports AC1700 standard but i barely get 5MBps speed. It's shit router for me but for him because one of his friend told him it's best, that is best router. 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest unless your Internet is 100 Meg+ connection you won't really see anything as far as performance boost on network. Ive tried everything until i upgraded my internet 100 meg 300 meg or 1000 meg connection is the gaming world anything below that just doesn't have the bandwidth to cover for flawless gaming. You also wanna take into consideration how new and good is your network card. And alway's use wired connection for gaming.

  • 100 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, GalacticaQT said:

OK I am not convinced. From what I have read about routers, it is not as simple as having top of the line hardware. 

There is a capacity to how fast *any* router can make your internet speeds.

IMO these companies coming out with "gaming routers" is a scam aimed at people of our demographic.

Sad, but true, I fear. :(

I totally agree regarding internet speeds as that is basically fook all to do with any router and more your ISP. However when it comes to home and business networks and wireless connections to said networks, well this is where routers come into their own. Other than internal networks and people wanting to connect to their own home network devices (NAS drives, homegroups etc) quicker then yeah your totally right and it is a scam in the sense that NO home router can make your internet speeds faster, anyone who says otherwise is basically talking shite.

Lets say you have a router with 1.3gigabit/s AC support but your actual internet is only 100Mbit/s then that is as fast as your going to go online and no router will change that fact, like i say routers come into their own when it comes to internal networks etc, but even then you also need devices which support faster transfer speeds. Its the connection between the device and router that matters to some in which case you need a decent router and devices to maintain those higher speeds.

 

It is wrong of sellers to say things like it boosts your internet speeds via less hops etc etc as that is factually untrue.

Edited by Snuffs99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, skrilla420 said:

To be honest unless your Internet is 100 Meg+ connection you won't really see anything as far as performance boost on network. Ive tried everything until i upgraded my internet 100 meg 300 meg or 1000 meg connection is the gaming world anything below that just doesn't have the bandwidth to cover for flawless gaming. You also wanna take into consideration how new and good is your network card. And alway's use wired connection for gaming.

Huh? Speed does not equal bandwidth. They're very very different. it doesn't matter- You could have a 15, 150, or 1500mbps package, and you can get the advertised speed on one connection, but as soon as you start opening multiple connections (or multi-threaded networking as some call it), some ISPs simply can't keep up and you'll notice higher latency and slowed downloads, buffering on streaming video, etc. Conversely, good service can offer the advertised speeds throughout multiple connections/streams/whatever.

Typically, yes- higher speeds offer higher bandwidth, but overselling, bare-bones infrastructure and false advertising is very much a thing.

Think of it like a freeway. Speed is the speed limit, and bandwidth is the number of lanes.
You can have a speed limit of 120km/h. But if there's only two lanes- there is going to be major backups/slowdowns. If it's four or five lanes, you can travel at a higher/advertised speed, even if there's congestion.
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2015/10/16/bandwidth-vs-speed

Edited by Xernicus
clarified example
  • 100 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, skrilla420 said:

To be honest unless your Internet is 100 Meg+ connection you won't really see anything as far as performance boost on network.

 

No. Good routers makes a huge difference. On my router, i can pull stable 60Mbps on my laptop with 24 devices connected appx. Yes, I got plenty of devices i.e. AI ones, lights, etc. If I try my friends netgear  router, I would get 2Mbps on my laptop. 

 

Router + Modem makes huge difference. I have seen people paying for 200Mbps line and using 8 channel router and crying OMG comcast is horrible. Well just more channel modem so speed gets spread out and during congestion you get descent speed. 

 

Also many routers don't release TCP and UDP connections and that bogs down your router big time. New routers close it often.  I just find good hardware router, put on open source firmware and run and modify it for my use case.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daredevil said:

 

No. Good routers makes a huge difference. On my router, i can pull stable 60Mbps on my laptop with 24 devices connected appx. Yes, I got plenty of devices i.e. AI ones, lights, etc. If I try my friends netgear  router, I would get 2Mbps on my laptop. 

 

Router + Modem makes huge difference. I have seen people paying for 200Mbps line and using 8 channel router and crying OMG comcast is horrible. Well just more channel modem so speed gets spread out and during congestion you get descent speed. 

 

Also many routers don't release TCP and UDP connections and that bogs down your router big time. New routers close it often.  I just find good hardware router, put on open source firmware and run and modify it for my use case.

 

 

Very interesting Ive never came across this problem here in Canada with any of the routers they provide maybe that is the difference. my ISP provider always give me good routers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, skrilla420 said:

Very interesting Ive never came across this problem here in Canada with any of the routers they provide maybe that is the difference. my ISP provider always give me good routers.

Here ISP charges 10-15$/month for router/modem. You can get yours and remove that charge. Modem goes for 3-5 years at least and same for routers. Why pay more to ISP ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your ISP charges for a router/modem? robbing sods.

Here in UK is same as Canada and they give you the router/modem...that being said the ones they give tend to be locked down quite a bit and only really allow the basics. I bought a router though as i like to use a VPN on the router and like to have a fast LAN for file transfers and what not.

Can't believe they charge you for a router etc.....just madness and i'd be buying my own in that case.

Edited by Snuffs99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh i'm not charged to rent/or buy any modem it comes with alot of advanced features

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder we call them blood suckers aka ISP. They charge u left and right :) I call them for any issue and if they think it's not an issue, which they think 90% of time, I have to pay 60$ visit fee. Fking COX!

  • 100 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Your ISP charges for a router/modem? robbing sods.

Here in UK is same as Canada and they give you the router/modem...that being said the ones they give tend to be locked down quite a bit and only really allow the basics. I bought a router though as i like to use a VPN on the router and like to have a fast LAN for file transfers and what not.

Can't believe they charge you for a router etc.....just madness and i'd be buying my own in that case.

It's America. We perfected charging for air and water......

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 1U router with 8 cores and 16GB of ram :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


About Us

We are glad you decided to stop by our website and servers. At Fearless Assassins Gaming Community (=F|A=) we strive to bring you the best gaming experience possible. With helpful admins, custom maps and good server regulars your gaming experience should be grand! We love to have fun by playing online games especially W:ET, Call of Duty Series, Counter Strike: Series, Minecraft, Insurgency, DOI, TF2 & Battlefield Series and if you like to do same then join us! Here, you can make worldwide friends while enjoying the game. Anyone from any race and country speaking any language can join our Discord and gaming servers. We have clan members from US, Canada, Europe, Sri Lanka, India, Japan, Australia, Brazil, UK, Austria, Poland, Finland and many other countries. It doesn't matter how much good you are in the game or how much good English you speak. We believe in making new friends from all over the world. If you want to have fun and want to make new friends join up our gaming servers and our VoIP servers any day and at any time. .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.