Windows Windows v1809 update kills your gameplay

Xernicus

This is for all of the folks running Windows 10 with the October update (v1809).

It went FUBAR and erased files, and gaming performance and driver compatibility has been abysmal so far, but now there's more to add to the list!

Windows update KB4482887 was recently pushed to everyone running v1809, and there's been reports of it killing performance of all games on systems powered by both Intel and AMD CPUs, and GPUs from Intel, nVidia, and AMD. Basically everyone. It's also reported to affect mouse input lag.

For now, Microsoft is recommending uninstalling the update- but as far as I'm aware, it has not been pulled from the Windows Update repositories or WSUS.
if your performance has tanked, and you're wondering if this update has been installed, or are wondering how to uninstall it, you can find a great tutorial here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-uninstall-and-reinstall-updates-windows-10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Surprise 1

• Leader

I have windows 10 pro 1809, build 17763.316 and that update was not installed. 

I only have the " March 1, 2019 — KB4486553 Cumulative update for .NET Framework" waiting to install on  a desktop system, which makes just a few changes.

The 'troubled' KB4482887 updates many, many functions.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I updated to the latest nvidia drivers and it crashed right after. Once I started windows must have noticed the issue because It recommended to restart to fix driver issues.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

so far 1809 has not caused me any problems, it can give problems when you let windows update install it, i reccomend installing it manually

I had to restart in SafeMode, disable McAfee completely, delete the whole Windows/Softwaredistribution file, and run Troubleshooter to resolve.  Took about 6.5 hours.  Really did a number on my laptop I use for school, but no other computers had an issue with it.

• Leader
4 minutes ago, sirdutch said:

who uses anti virus after windows 8?

Do you mean "Windows Defender", the default antivirus+system-protection program from MicroSoft?

9 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Do you mean "Windows Defender", the default antivirus+system-protection program from MicroSoft?

yeah, since the free anti virus you have now f***s everything up basicly

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just recently reinstalled windows 10 and updated up to and stopped at 17763.529 KB 4497934

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/

Updates after 17763.529 include the updates for drivers and more including wifi and network adapter but I do suggest updating to 17763.529 and not past it for security updates

if anyone is having problems just use the Windows 10 Pro 64bit .iso in my profile if your system supports 64bit and just make a bootable usb device with rufus

Shouldn't need a product key any more if your system has windows already it should have registered it self with a digital signature and the installer doesn't require a key if it has

Windows defender and all other apps can be disabled using gpedit from search box or Cortana and just go to Administrative Templates in the System that are related to Windows

Do note Home edition does not have Group Policies and the update to 1903 was designed for Enterprise basically 

• Platinum VIP

@DoubleDragon I'm on 1903 with no issues, at all. Networks speeds are the same, all my drivers seem to be on point and one thing else, why would you disable Defender?? Anymore, it's the only protection I use, along with MB Pro running in the background, but that has detected anything in so long, I forgot it's even there, thanks to Defender. Plus, 1903's new security features have gotten to the point that all system folders and memory are protected. I use Glary Utilities Pro for maintenance and updating it triggers blocks of Defrag for example, from accessing those folders. It also includes ransomware protection, but I have no intention or hopes of every needing to see if it actually works (Which I doubt).

Edit - on a whim, I just looked and found out something about 1903 I don't like. It doesn't me to have Defender and Malwarebytes both running. MB had been disabled and re-enabling it disabled Defender with no option of running both. In the Virus and Threat Protection tab in Windows Security settings, it does allow you to turn Defender back on, but only for periodic scans. Real Time Protection is still disabled

Edited by -=HipKat=-

On some systems the updates aren't noticed because the hardware is new but for me I for one have a old motherboard with just 4gb of ram running ddr3 and the changes are noticeable 

This is like comparing bluestacks open time from 3 to 4 cause 3 opens in less then 20 second while 4 takes a whole minute it says 4 is 6 times faster but it is not and apps take even longer to load

I'd prefer malware-bytes over defender any day at least it's not running services at 40% of the ram or above all the time and those periodic scans of files all the time takes up even more memory don't even know why it does that on a new install of windows it will run run run all the time even on idle sometimes it even wakes my laptop up from sleep to do random scans makes no sense that's one good reason.

If you want to block apps from changing your system you should try UVK the immunize is very strong but keep in mind this app is not as user friendly it can corrupt a system if left immunized while installing or removing apps I use the portable one simple cause it doesn't install https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/uvk_ultra_virus_killer_portable.html

If you immunize all, you will need to uncheck internet settings to connect to the internet this is a better alternative then malware-bytes when disabling defender two things you are doing releasing ram and blocking changes to the system from ransom ware basic stuff that defender does but with out a running service for the safest possible settings in UVK I would suggest to use recommended 

• 100 1

• Platinum VIP
21 minutes ago, DoubleDragon said:

On some systems the updates aren't noticed because the hardware is new but for me I for one have a old motherboard with just 4gb of ram running ddr3 and the changes are noticeable 

This is like comparing bluestacks open time from 3 to 4 cause 3 opens in less then 20 second while 4 takes a whole minute it says 4 is 6 times faster but it is not and apps take even longer to load

I'd prefer malware-bytes over defender any day at least it's not running services at 40% of the ram or above all the time and those periodic scans of files all the time takes up even more memory don't even know why it does that on a new install of windows it will run run run all the time even on idle sometimes it even wakes my laptop up from sleep to do random scans makes no sense that's one good reason.

If you want to block apps from changing your system you should try UVK the immunize is very strong but keep in mind this app is not as user friendly it can corrupt a system if left immunized while installing or removing apps I use the portable one simple cause it doesn't install https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/uvk_ultra_virus_killer_portable.html

If you immunize all, you will need to uncheck internet settings to connect to the internet this is a better alternative then malware-bytes when disabling defender two things you are doing releasing ram and blocking changes to the system from ransom ware basic stuff that defender does but with out a running service for the safest possible settings in UVK I would suggest to use recommended 

Or go all Linux! lol

3 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Edit - on a whim, I just looked and found out something about 1903 I don't like. It doesn't me to have Defender and Malwarebytes both running. MB had been disabled and re-enabling it disabled Defender with no option of running both. In the Virus and Threat Protection tab in Windows Security settings, it does allow you to turn Defender back on, but only for periodic scans. Real Time Protection is still disabled

Tbh having 2 running at the same time is sometimes counter productive and probably why MB is disabled by the update. I too use both Defender and MB corp edition but i tend to run MB manually once a month rather than having it run in the back ground sort of thing just to make sure defender is doing its job, which it does very well IMHO and MB never finds anything bad when i do run it....lets face it you know yourself when your system just isn't right, i certainly do and can usually tell when something is wrong just from teh sound it makes. lol

I've not installed 1903 as yet but by choice mainly because i know i'll have issues with my legacy device(s) (fang), however windows stopped support for legacy devices a few years back in the creators update so nothing new there and i'll certainly update to 1903 when i can be bothered.

@DoubleDragon

I get where your coming from regarding older systems as my Daughters laptop was quite sluggish when i updated it to 1809, stopping a few none essential services helped though, no need for shite like superfetch to be hogging resources etc so i've disabled a few of the none essential services and her laptop runs a lot better, managed to keep defender running but yes it can quite literally keep CPU and disk usage @ 100% etc as and when it feels like it, same goes for windows update and update scheduler and what not, sometimes stopping those services and running them as and when you want can make a huge difference overall. 

• Thanks 1

1903 is made for Enterprise edition basically it's not said that but if you read enough about Microsoft updates you'll figure it out eventually cause it's a 30 day short-term support that also means it's a temporary patch the next update should resolve any issues 1903 brings to older hardware.

Microsoft doesn't want you to disable these services because it's in correlation with the error reporting services where it sends anonymous data back to them I'd also suggest installing Anti-Beacon https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/spybot_anti_beacon_for_windows_10.html and turn on refresh this server on restart every time tho it's not the complete version because they are trying to sell it now there is alternatives like ShutUp10 https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/oo_shutup10.html there are many more free ones now it would be best to google in your browser to find the one's that work in different languages