BUTTERS got some snow last night (-=

EVIL BUTTERS

in England we have 3cm of snow and people panic buy and rush around like it's the end of the world 😂schools go into lock down public transport comes to a halt and motorways become car parks.

This sounds like where i am from to... just had 4 inches nobody can go anywhere in it..

Edited by Hulk
  • Surprise 1

• Leader

From a 2009 newspaper article in my town, in the Big Valley of California. :)

Posted Dec 8, 2009
At breakfast at UJ’s Family Restaurant on Monday, regulars drank coffee and talked about the snow - the first measurable amount in more than 30 years.
Conditions Monday morning were similar to those on Feb. 5, 1976, when the city last recorded measurable snowfall. More common here - though still rare - are immeasurable flurries.
The snow - about one quarter of one inch [6.35mm], the National Weather Service said - melted as it fell or on contact. 
Freezing low temperatures under clear skies were predicted until Wednesday, when a second storm was expected to drop snow at lower elevations in the foothills, though not necessarily in the Valley.

At the counter at UJ’s, Greg Alberdi thought the men around him were joking.
“Did it really snow?” he said.
Rick Huntley, who was with him said, “Yes.”
Later, Huntley said, “I’m from Iowa. I know what snow looks like.”
Alberdi shook his head.
“It’s not even really snow,” he said.

It does get cold enough here to snow, but only when the skies are clear.  When the clouds come, it becomes too warm to snow. :(   Parents and organizations go "up to the mountains" and collect snow from EvilButter's yard to bring back for the kids to play with.

One article said that USA average for snow is 26 inches (66cm), but such statistics can be tricky for this country.  Are they talking about "the lower 48" aka "the mainland" or did the stats include Alaska and Hawaii?  Alaska would skew the numbers waaay higher towards the snow side of the equation. ❄️ 🏂   

• Haha 2

• Leader
5 minutes ago, Sonofdoc said:

You are very lucky, I can’t remember the last time I saw snow down here in Texas haha.

Who are you talking to?  Me or Butters?  :D 

I saw a lot of snow in Bavaria as the child of a US Army sergeant.  Oooh, snow-forts, snowball fights and sledding down the hill!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Who are you talking to?  Me or Butters?  :D 

I saw a lot of snow in Bavaria as the child of a US Army sergeant.  Oooh, snow-forts, snowball fights and sledding down the hill!

Was mainly talking to butters, but snow forts, snowball fights and sledding do sound fun!

• Like 1
  • 100 1

I was out around Colorado Springs around 8am everything was fine, sun was out, it was 50F (10C).  Then noon rolled around and over the mountains came a white blanket of thick snow that blotted out the sky.  The wind was blowing fast 30mph (48kph) and started trying to push my truck off the road.  We got an inch (2.5cm) of snow in what seemed like an instant just dumped on us and dropped to 20F (-6C).  But in Colorado the weather changes in an instant so an hour later around 1pm it was back up to 40F (4C) and the snow had melted and the roads were just all wet.  

Jan Feb and March we get at least a foot (30cm) of snow here each month.  June and July when it should be warm is when we get the golf ball sized hail storms that tear up the roof and blast out the windows.  If you want weather extremes, come visit me :)  It's a normal everyday thing here :)  

-edit-

Happy early birthday @Hulk :)

Edited by JohnnyColorado
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• Leader
11 minutes ago, JohnnyColorado said:

so an hour later around 1pm it was back up to 40F (4C) and the snow had melted and the roads were just all wet.  

Did you later get a re-freeze before all the snowmelt had gone and suddenly had icy roads, sidewalks, porches, i.e. any flat surfaces?  (or even 'round' ones?)  ⛸️

• Like 2

Yessir, we're currently getting a re-freeze where all the roads are slick black ice.  I already put salt down on the sidewalk for our pedestrians and cyclists so the water doesn't freeze over (safety first!).  The sun sets quickly here as our mountains are on our West.  So when the sun goes down in an hour, (5pm right now) we will get a hard freeze.  And with the wind chill, tonight it's supposed to get to -8F (-22C).  But again...  This is normal.  In Colorado all of our water and power lines are underground.  So it takes a few days of negative degree weather to freeze us out.  We don't have to drip water or worry about pipes freezing here usually.  

I live at the base of a mountain 6200ft (1900m) above sea level.  The mountain peak is 14,110ft (4300m).  So when the wind rushes over the mountain it super chills the air when it drops back down and comes to us.  Cold is my friend.  :)  When it's 40F (4C) out, that's warm to me, lol. 

• Haha 1
  • Surprise 1

This is what I woke up to this morning at 6am :)  7F (-14C) degrees...  I put down more salt but it only works if stuff is already melting. 

There's a stop light at the bottom of a big hill and my wife and I had some ass-hat speeding past us.  I told my wife "that jerks gonna get into an accident".  10 seconds later he popped his brakes and didn't stop.  He kept sliding down the hill brakes locked up the whole way.  Smashed into the back of someone stopped at the light and pushed them into the front car at the light.  3 car pile up.  When it's ice/snow you're supposed to cut your speed to 1/3 of the speed limit.  I love watching dumbasses who can't drive blast by my 4 wheel drive truck in their little FWD cars and wreck.  I wasn't driving fast enough for him, but I wasn't driving fast because I know how to drive on packed ice...  I'm willing to bet that it's not the only accident that will happen today.     

Just last week - There's on on-ramp for the highway that is on a big hill.  Like a 15% grade slope, really steep.  The speed limit is 55, drops to 35 for the ramp.  Some little rice burner Honda sped right past me and cut in front of me.  He tried to take the ramp at 55...  He tried to turn right but the ice was so packed he kept going straight.  So instead of turning, he ran right down the hill and wrecked his crap.  I usually stop and help people, but I refuse to help stupidity.  I turned down the ramp doing 25...  lol When I looked in the rear view mirror.  He wasn't the first one who shot off the side.  

Moral of my stories...  DRIVE SAFE EVERYONE.  Even if "you" can drive, you have to still worry about the ass-hats running into you. 

Stay warm and drive safe all :) 

-JColo

20190207_071204.jpg

20190207_071223.jpg

• Like 1
  • 100 1

On 2/5/2019 at 9:11 PM, EVIL BUTTERS said:

I hate Winter!!!!!!!!!!!

You speak my mind. At least here its quite warm-ish. With little snow.

I should have born in a warm place 😕

• Haha 1