New PC

audrey

Hey so my pc is slowly dying. Keeps turning off when playing and stuff. Plus it's kinda very old so it's time for somewhat of an upgrade. I don't need some extra pc, I want something decent I can run a few games with. So my coworker is selling his and I think it's decent enough for me. Whatchu think about this setup;

Fx8320
Sabertooth 990fx
Samsung evo 850 120gb
Msi gaming msi gaming x r9 380 2gb
Corsair gs 600w
Coolermaster  hyper 212 evo dual fan

I need to buy RAM tho. He's selling these components for $230.

Whatchu think?

FX-series machines.... my specialty! xD

-The mobo's robust, you could get decent overclocks. Would boost that chip to 5GHz no problem, maybe limited to 4.2-4.5 because of the cooler (Hyper 212). (some games would benefit from this- ET wouldn't)
-2 gigs of VRAM (the R9 380) is a bit dated. I'd say modern AAA games would do medium settings, 1080p.
-Quality PSU
-212 EVO is a relatively generic cooler, but much better than stock.

What do you have right now though, and what do you primarily do on your PC? What types of games do you play? (You can press the Windows key + R and type "dxdiag" into the run box to get that info if you don't know)

For the record, sounds like the issue with your PC would be PSU or overheating related. If your machine is faster, I'd see about repairing it.

The FX chips are somewhat old, weak in floating point performance, and a bit power hungry... The one thing about them though is that their performance is actually increasing as threaded workloads are becoming more of the norm. They can still do 60-75FPS @ 1080p on modern titles, but I wouldn't expect much more (like 1440p or 144fps on new AAA games).

The mobo and SSD are the real killer of the deal, actually worth more than $250 in parts- but with no RAM... that's tricky.

TL;DR- more info about your current machine plz and what do you play?

Edited by Xernicus
reeeee typo
  • Like 2

Not too bad, but the price seems a bit steep, to be honest. The  graphics card, power supply, and cooling fan are pretty good, but the HDD might need to have a larger capacity, if you have a lot of large files. As for RAM, 8GB and above would be good. 

If you want to run games decently, it'll do! :D 

You'll need to first ask around for different component prices and check if the components your co-worker is selling are cheaper/more expensive.

• Like 1

Have you cleaned your pc lately? Sounds like overheating.

As for the amd processors...never :D. But I quess that setup is ok, not too much knowledge on these things nowadays, tho should start seeking new parts for myself also.

P.S. did I said no amd...yes I did. I say it once again :D No amd!

• Sad 1

I don't play much anymore here because I cannot on this current setup anything. I mentioned on Discord, first game for a long time that I tried to run (except ET which crashes too nowadays) was FarCry 3 and it crashed the PC after like 3-5 minutes. The PC needs a good cleaning that's for sure, but it's very dated as it is and I wanna make some changes. I really didn't mind it much since I don't have much time to play, but now when it crashes even ET... :D The machine is definitely not faster than the one I want to buy.

@Xernicus just trust me, everything is much much better with the new one comparing to my old one (athlon II x3 455, ati radeon 3870 for example :D) I just wanted to know if the price is okay for the components he's selling.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Samsung evo 850 120gb - No. Depending on your budget - get new SSD of either 250GB or 500GB min. 90$ for 500GB Samsung Evo 960. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daredevil said:

Samsung evo 850 120gb - No. Depending on your budget - get new SSD of either 250GB or 500GB min. 90$ for 500GB Samsung Evo 960. 

Why no, tho, why do I need more? 😕

I got 2x4GB of Vengance DDR3 laying around, as i upgraded to 16gb, i could sell u that. The rest it really depends on what games u want to play, so u wont buy this pc and then realize u want to try like Insurgency, DOI or any other games, that would require a bit better pc. If u only want to play ET, u can get my old PC, which i have been already telling u about, it runs ET :D

Edited by Aniky

You say this pc wont run Insurgency or doi? :D

I already bought it it's set up and needs windows to be installed, so we'll see what it runs. I'll buy new ram, prolly 8gb ddr3 kingston.

But thanksss :)

On 1/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, audrey said:

(except ET which crashes too nowadays)

I had that problem too with my new PC.

I switched to ET Legacy and it works fine.

Gengis