I Think My Keyboard is Dying

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

My Logi G910, that's less than 2 yrs old, has suddenly developed a habit of repeating letters. Specifically O, N and A, but sometimes other letters, too. It's driving me crazy when  the word "when" comes out as "whenn" and "out" shows up as "oout", etc. I have t he windows keyboard settings at default and the Logi settings are mostly just for macros and profiles

Any ideas?

If it's still under warranty - which lasts for 2yrs afaik.... RMA it. my experience with Logi RMAs has been great- they didn't even need me to return or cross-ship, I kept the broken mouse.

From what I've read, two things seem to help the most: trying another USB hub (like another bank of ports on your mobo), and downgrading LGS.
You could also try going into LGS and seeing if your firmware just got updated- looks like there was an update that caused this in the past(?)

If it were just those three switches I'd suggest spraying some de-oxit into the switches and see if that helps first.

Edited by Xernicus
Added warranty experience
  • Like 4

• Platinum VIP
19 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

If it's still under warranty - which lasts for 2yrs afaik.... RMA it. my experience with Logi RMAs has been great- they didn't even need me to return or cross-ship, I kept the broken mouse.

From what I've read, two things seem to help the most: trying another USB hub (like another bank of ports on your mobo), and downgrading LGS.
You could also try going into LGS and seeing if your firmware just got updated- looks like there was an update that caused this in the past(?)

If it were just those three switches I'd suggest spraying some de-oxit into the switches and see if that helps first.

Good ideas. I have to dig out the receipt and see if I'm still inside 2 yrs or just past it. I never considered trying a different USB port. Giving that a shot, now. last update was in the beginning of the year, btw

Edited by -=HipKat=-

1 hour ago, Xernicus said:

Great advice the only other thing I'd do it examine the switches with the keys popped off and see if you can replace the suspect key switches with some of the not used switches like extra macro keys. It looks like you have to solder the switches. The romer G switches appear to be for sale on amazon and ebay. If you want that same keyboard and you can wait. Put an email reminder on g910 on slickdeals.net. It looks like they sell for $90 often in sales.

The Romer G switches on Amazon are more expensive than Ebay, so if you have a way of paying getting around PayPal I would recommend that. Otherwise, they are the same switches from the same guy(s) in Hong Kong.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a cheap backup while you figure it out. I have an old logitech and rosewill mechanical laying around.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12402394-velocifire-87-key-wireless-led-backlit-mechanical-keyboard-w-brown-switches-35-70-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

Something like the wired version for < $30 with brown switches wouldnt be terrible while waiting for a fix. I have no experience with the brand but try searching the deal site :)

I've heard good things too about Logitech RMA and if no return is required it shouldn't take long. Cross-ship (temporary pay and get refunded) is another good option if they offer it.

Edited by TulsaGeoff
  • Like 2

• Leader

I would have thought that your "gaming keys" might be the first to fail.  The "A" might qualify for that.  

Thanks to the those sharing info here!  :salute:

I did a "WOW" at the de-solder tool in the video!  I haven't even touched my 'primitive' tool in decades.  :)  I think that it has a bulb on the end, like a snot-remover for babies.  :D  I will definitely never use a straw, unless...hmmm....

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, RedBaird said:

I would have thought that your "gaming keys" might be the first to fail.  The "A" might qualify for that.  

Thanks to the those sharing info here!  :salute:

I did a "WOW" at the de-solder tool in the video!  I haven't even touched my 'primitive' tool in decades.  :)  I think that it has a bulb on the end, like a snot-remover for babies.  :D  I will definitely never use a straw, unless...hmmm....

That's what I would have thought. ET has killed a few space bars in the past, but o, a, n, p,, k and comma??

Anyway, changing USB's didn't work. I'm gonna uninstall/reinstall the drivers when I get home from work

Had an old gaming keyboard do this. Took it completely apart cleaned it. scared me though it would be impossible to get back together but it was simple and worked perfectly. Still have for a back up keyboard.

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP

Ive worn out several keyboards in the last few years.  Usually its the ergonomic ones from microsoft or logitec.  I have seen dust and food get in there( the flat thing on your computer really isnt a coffee holder or toaster oven)  and cause problems so compressed air might be a good idea.

sounds like its sticking.  take it apart clean it with qtips and alcohol . once i had to take it down to the weird pad of wires and wipe that off too. good luck i just buy new ones when this happens .. my space bar just broke 2 wks ago lol et sucks when u cant jump.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum VIP

Nothing could be as gross as pulling all the keys off your keyboard for the first time in like a year. Seems much better though since I just spent 2 hours with cotton swabs cleaning every nook I could. 

Now, on to figure out how to clean my mouse pad.

I use Dawn soap and a sponge. Then I turn the oven on and put it in the oven (serious :)) on the lowest setting I think its like 185 for 5-10 minutes or until dry. Mine is the QcK Heavy and its thick cloth. The edges arent prone to rolling up on this like a thin cloth pad. If its hard plastic just use Dawn and towel dry.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
10 minutes ago, TulsaGeoff said:

I use Dawn soap and a sponge. Then I turn the oven on and put it in the oven (serious :)) on the lowest setting I think its like 185 for 5-10 minutes or until dry. Mine is the QcK Heavy and its thick cloth. The edges arent prone to rolling up on this like a thin cloth pad. If its hard plastic just use Dawn and towel dry.

Mine's probably like yours, with an embroidered edge

On 12/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, RedBaird said:

I haven't even touched my 'primitive' tool in decades.

Sorry for going off topic. I just read this thread and I spat out my breakfast when I read that sentence. Thanks baird :lol2:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1