VPN

.KeLFOuTO!r.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

I must admit i too was curious as to why VPN's were banned and figured it was something to do with changing IP's after a ban......However given that 99% of ISP's use dynamic IP addresses its a tad pointless banning VPN's to prevent IP ban circumvention as a hacker can simply turn their router off for a few min and will be given a new IP by their ISP anyway when they turn it back on.

Keeping on top of VPN addresses isn't an easy thing to do either, if the likes of Netflix/hula/directTV/BBC and ITV etc etc can't really block them all then its doubtful FA would be able to do what they cant.

Banning Proxy servers is one thing but to ban a VPN and all its servers around the globe is another, other than showing a different IP the two are very different things.

My tuppence.

Give it a try :) Our VPN subnet bans are more then 300 by now. That includes /24, /16, /8 - IP ranges. We adapt as we  see new proxy ranges. It's cat and mouse game. Dynamic IP's from ISP are hard to ban but not that hard. We can issue one full subnet ban for dynamic IP which cheater has and white list current GUID. So any new GUID will be auto blocked.  We can get creative with bans. 

Goal is to make life of cheater or trouble makers little harder to play from proxies. We monitor logs, every day. I run stats every night so any issues, we get to know before hand 90% of time. 

Not many companies provide SOCK5. SOCK4 IP range is massively huge while SOCK5 not so much.

PS We are the only community in ET who work hard to ban cheaters and trouble makers. The reason, I say 'only' is because so far, I haven't seen any community working to ban all the proxy IP ranges. Either admins would let it slide because it's massive amount of work to maintain the list OR they want players, so they show, this and that cheater is banned and same cheater would be still playing their under different alias. We don't go for witch hunt but at the same time we want to make sure, we are providing fair and balance environment for all regulars. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dest!Ny said:

Could be that there are more reasons or even a completely different one than the one I mentioned. However arent most VPN IPs based on the router IP thus sharing the same iprange?

The server IPs are shared with other VPN clients yes but most VPN's have 100's if not 1000's of servers around the world with many spead around each country, so while say a few UK London servers might have the same IP range (89.234.x.x) the rest around the UK would be different ranges, same with other countries and locations etc....your talking 100's of IP ranges just for 1 VPN service, not to mention the new IP's added by the VPN services all the time to circumvent geo location blocks etc put in place by the services like netflix, bbc etc etc. I just think its a bit of a losing battle trying to block every VPN server.

@daredevil 

Sorry you posted the same time i was typing my reply.

I have nothing but respect for what your trying to do but do fear its a losing battle mate. i'll try various servers from my VPN's and will let you knwo how it goes mate.

P.S yeah first i tried (Cyberghost Manchester 89.238.x.x) worked straight away mate, as did the second (Cyberghost London 185.235.x.x)...... i'll get a list together of my VPN IPs and PM you as and when i've had a gander at the ranges mate, looking at it though there are at least 30 different IP ranges used by cyberghost just for the UK alone.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

• Administrators

If you try then nothing is loosing battle :)  It's loosing battle once you stop trying. Feel free to send me list of those ranges.  Will add it up. 

• Like 2
  • 100 2