Who is trading what and what platform?

daredevil

I'm at Fidelity. Currently just investing/trading in my ROTH IRA . It's nice having my 401K, IRA, and main credit card (2% flat cash back) in one place. I am interested in a lower fee platform for some short term trades.

• Administrators
On 11/3/2018 at 8:42 PM, TulsaGeoff said:

I'm at Fidelity. Currently just investing/trading in my ROTH IRA . It's nice having my 401K, IRA, and main credit card (2% flat cash back) in one place. I am interested in a lower fee platform for some short term trades.

Look out for Robin Hood. Get someone to refer you and you both will get 5$ to 150$ - for free. I use RH for NG and short term trades. Sometimes even I do day trade on it. Eyeing on SQ entry point for now. 

Started last year and RH has been solid so far. Even options are free on it.

• 3 months later...

Started, my plan is long term index or ETF investments. So not short term trading.

Right now I am on Degiro (low cost broker in the Netherlands) with VUSA, which is a vanguard S&P500 ETF.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ajnl said:

Right now I am on Degiro (low cost broker in the Netherlands) with VUSA, which is a vanguard S&P500 ETF.

Can also try SPXS and SPXL for short term 3x leverage. Be careful with decay. 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:40 PM, daredevil said:

Can also try SPXS and SPXL for short term 3x leverage. Be careful with decay. 

Interesting, I'll look into them. Still new to investing so at the moment I am keeping it simple and continuing to research.

Do you use robinhood because the transaction costs are low? Do you trade weekly or longer timelines?

• Administrators
11 hours ago, ajnl said:

Do you use robinhood because the transaction costs are low? Do you trade weekly or longer timelines?

Robinhood - transactions cost are none but execution can be poor sometimes. I use RH for the trades where my trades are not time sensitive or tick sensitive. 

With any leverage stocks - be careful - i.e. 2x and 3x ones - time decay will eat you up. Just use them as short term trading vehicle.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:36 PM, daredevil said:

Robinhood - transactions cost are none but execution can be poor sometimes. I use RH for the trades where my trades are not time sensitive or tick sensitive. 

With any leverage stocks - be careful - i.e. 2x and 3x ones - time decay will eat you up. Just use them as short term trading vehicle.

I looked into RH, but as far as I can see its only available in the USA. Will have to see if there is something similar here in NL.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, ajnl said:

I looked into RH, but as far as I can see its only available in the USA. Will have to see if there is something similar here in NL.

I think you can use IB interactive brokers  - and trade in US - NASDAQ and NYSE. But if you find broker in NL which allows trading in USA stock exchange, it would be easier for you. 

• 1 month later...

Screenshot_20190429-093053.thumb.jpg.c7130ca0fb65c6dd5c0fb41795081ae8.jpg

Long time forex trader here.

I figure it's time to start filling up this section with my nonsense

Ally purchased my old broker, MB Trading. They seem to offer all the same perks so I went with them. Maybe I'll be disappointed

Trading FX is just like trading anything else, if you read charts, don't let people tell you different.

I've also funded a robin hood account to give that a whirl and build a portfolio (likely) of just dividend payers.

Expect many, many, posts from me on the subject. I'll start a thread in the future going over trades and my over all trade plan for the year. By all means shoot some suggestions for topics of discussion, this is a very complex arena which likely cannot be exhausted. Let's all lean on each other and learn

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2019 at 3:46 PM, Achilles90 said:

Screenshot_20190429-093053.thumb.jpg.c7130ca0fb65c6dd5c0fb41795081ae8.jpg

Long time forex trader here.

I figure it's time to start filling up this section with my nonsense

Ally purchased my old broker, MB Trading. They seem to offer all the same perks so I went with them. Maybe I'll be disappointed

Trading FX is just like trading anything else, if you read charts, don't let people tell you different.

I've also funded a robin hood account to give that a whirl and build a portfolio (likely) of just dividend payers.

Expect many, many, posts from me on the subject. I'll start a thread in the future going over trades and my over all trade plan for the year. By all means shoot some suggestions for topics of discussion, this is a very complex arena which likely cannot be exhausted. Let's all lean on each other and learn

That would be awesome, I am looking into learning more so anything you can explain would be awesome :D

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
On 4/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, Achilles90 said:

Expect many, many, posts from me on the subject.

We all are awaiting on it, whenever you get chance :) 

• 1 year later...

well just started trading for the first time in my life on zerodha . Let see how it goes, considering to go with day to day in the start till i understand and then go for long term. 

@daredevil what u think

• 2 years later...
On 1/24/2021 at 9:19 AM, Mr.Karizmatic said:

well just started trading for the first time in my life on zerodha . Let see how it goes, considering to go with day to day in the start till i understand and then go for long term. 

@daredevil what u think

Sorry i m reviving old tread 😬 . Day trading is actually hard and not really profitable at least when you start. To day trade you need to get informed and follow really closely what s going on in the market. 

Imo, long term is easier, you get a few good etf such as the s&p500 or total stock market and you dca thoses positions. Building a core portfolio of strong index fund will assure you some growth overtime without needing to do the research. 

Once your core is built , you can go and build a "coffee can" portfolio , purchase blue chips that you believe (based on research) has the potential to grow and thoses too should be long term positions. 

To give you an idea about the index fund, here is the chart of the s&p500.  You ll see that staying invested and dca has been profitable on the long term. 

Screenshot_20230621_093524_Chrome.jpg

• 100 1

TD Ameritrade recently merged with Charles Schwab and I am really enjoying the Charles Schwab platform. Research/alerts are well organized and cleanly displays everything I want. 

I support your thinking @Eazy -- I have always been an advocate of long-term investing (Warren Buffet agrees too!). My best approach (I am not a financial advisor by any means) is reading through all press releases, 10-Q, investors page of company, and general industry news. Once I go through those steps, I eat some ice cream as I ponder the potential investment xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.