Horrible lag spikes every few random seconds

cookiem0nster

Hey guys,

Ever since moving home, whenever I try to hop onto the Hardcore ET server I get lag spikes at random intervals anywhere from  1-20 seconds apart. Usually under 10. I've made sure my AV was closed, tried closing steam and discord, etc. Windows is set to high performance mode, and I've tried manually setting the latest AMD graphics settings to application-preferred too.

Changing my FPS doesn't seem to help, tried 76-133 fps. I think I am still playing at 2560x1600 resolution but that hasn't been a problem in the last several years of having this monitor...

I checked to see if punkbuster was the problem from a post back in ~2012 or 2013 trying to ping the dead mothership but it is already disabled.

I'm trying to remove a bunch of old junk from my ET installation in the meantime, (it was almost 4gb now down to 1.37gb - still lagging but wasn't so bad when doing 6v6 at a less busy time so hard to say if it helped). The connections below spike when trying to communicate with the game server host. I've had zero spikes like this playing other games so I'm at a loss at this point, I know wireless isn't ideal but I could play ET better on a crappy dialup connection!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Copied this format from another thread...:

RAM: 12 GB DDR3 2000MHZ

Motherboard:  Asus p6x58d-e

CPU:  Xeon x5670

Hard drive (IDE, PATA, SATA, etc):  500GB SATA SSD

Graphics card:  AMD Radeon R9 290X

Internet: 50 MB down, 5 MB up - WiFi

Do you use router? : Yes.

Your location (country): West Coast USA

ET Version: 2.60b

speedtest.jpg

winmtr.jpg

dpclat.jpg

pingplotter.jpg

LAG.jpg

• Like 3

I get the same problem if the server has more than 18 players or so.  Feels just like the old PB spikes. I fixed it by not playing there anymore.  GL!

you know i had this problem myself not to long ago so i got to messing around with things with my wires and thing like that nothing helped so i called comcast that who i had net with and had them do a hard reset and it fixed my problem so try that even if your net looks fine it could be a problem on their end 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Kiba is right. You can have a stable speed dl/ul, but also lose pings.
Call your ISP and ask to restart the DLM port.

Cookie

also try set /r_picmip 3 and set /r_lodbias 2 it seemed to help me and tbh ive not lagged half as much i used to, just give it a try bud and rem to save it to your cfg.

wirless is horrible for gaming m8 i get maybe 40 on wifi but with ethernet i get close to 240 you would be better off using the ethernet and the commands ive shown u bud id say bubye to wifi

Edited by DrSpreadem

3 minutes ago, cookiem0nster said:

still no love. might be my PC though, hope my SSD isn't dying

That would be easy enough to rule out by running some benchmarks and looking at the drive's health.

Here's some utilities you can use:
AS-SSD Benchmark:
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/as_ssd_benchmark.html

CrystalDiskInfo (SMART status) and CrystalDiskMark (benchmark):

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

That would be easy enough to rule out by running some benchmarks and looking at the drive's health.

Here's some utilities you can use:
AS-SSD Benchmark:
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/as_ssd_benchmark.html

CrystalDiskInfo (SMART status) and CrystalDiskMark (benchmark):

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

those are good ones. Might have to update my CDI it doesn't fully support my SSD, but crucial storage executive said it was healthy for SMART.

I'll try benchmarking it again tonight, thanks!

• Like 1

still to me it sound like a web problem more than a pc problem 

have you try checking all your wires on the outside and on the inside  i  know you know your stuff about pc  but  i still feel like it's a net problem do you us a modem for your  net if so it could be out of date to  

i know the first time i had this problem my  modem was  like 7 years old and i got a new one and it fixed it