AMD software

Kooki

• Platinum VIP

For about 3 years now ive had a newer  computer with an amd r9 200 graphics card.  Its always done the job and then some.  However , not long after i started playing insurgency and doi the driver updates stopped working with  doi and insurg.  After several trys nwi said why would i want to upgrade my software just leave it alone if its working.  AMD said oh well some games just dont work with some software.  So i was trapped into leaving my software update at 15.12.  The latest is over 18.? which just came out this week.  

Ive always felt that updates in software might help with new games and programs being released and felt that was needed.   So, since it had been awhile since i tried this i dloaded/installed the new drivers to see what might happen.  Youll not guess what happened.  The new updates worked on Sandstorm but still didnt work on DOI and Insurgency.  So i guess i can assume that the programs used to write those two programs acutally wont work with my amd software.  Seems the new real engine works with more kinds of software.  Im disappointed that i cant upgrade and still play doi and insurgency so ill just have to keep the older version or quit playing those games.  Since im so disappointed about character reset after release im gonna try to quit playing sandstorm for now.   I would ask for any help on this issue but since i have pretty good proof that nwi isnt making an effort to change the ability of my computer to work with these programs it seems fruitless.  They just want us to show them the money.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum VIP

AMD software update.   I posted similar to this on steam forums and i got a suggestion that i needed to do an uninstall of the drivers and then reinstall a new updated copy.  So i contacted AMD and tech support suggested that i put my monitor res at the recommended level (1366x7something) and do a clean uninstall then reinstall to latest drivers.  I followed this advice and that has taken care of my problems playing all of nwi games with the updated driver.  I asked why i couldnt set my monitor to a higher than recommended setting and was told that it could cause black screens and possible flickering.  I never had those issues, just the inability to play all the games with updated drivers.  So if anyone is having similar issues then something like this could be interesting to you.  Glad to have all working with new drivers.

Any revision higher than the 18.5.1 drivers would be a beta version. They call beta drivers "optional" now because people generally don't install beta drivers, and they wanted a higher number of people running those drivers and sending telemetry for improvements.
After doing extensive testing, the 18.6+ drivers seem to have severe issues with certain polygons, shaders and models, freesync, relive, or any combination of the above across different games. So I strongly recommend staying on the stable driver for now unless there's a reason you need to run the beta driver (ie: support for new games, or for the 10% increase in FPS for the games they list). I am compiling some reproduction steps to send to AMD.

Not sure what exactly you mean by "higher than recommended resolution", but typically the "recommended" resolution is the maximum the monitor supports.

Edited by Xernicus
Corrected mistake regarding latest stable release.

• Leader
7 hours ago, Xernicus said:

"higher than recommended resolution", but typically the "recommended" resolution is the maximum the monitor supports.

I somehow once set the resolution in quake 2 (or was it doom 2 ?) too high.  After I got out of the FUBARed game, I found corruption in windows XP.  The left pane of file explorer was OK, but the right pane contained an image from the game!