Old Map Identification Help Please

StinVec

Hi all. I've been struggling to remember an old map from at least 10-15 years ago that was popular. I recall that I played it a lot around 2003-2004 during college, so it may have been an RTCW map and not an ET map, but may have also been an RTCW map ported into ET. I remember a lot of details about the map and I've tried to draw out a really crappy top-down of the first part.

I recall the obj being for allies to enter this stone base/castle and dynamite the main gate in an open courtyard. Once through the courtyard you go down some steps in a covered structure. I don't remember details about below the surface, but I believe it involved stealing some gold and bringing it back up and returning it to the starting spawn area.

Essentially, allies attack and start on what I think I recall as being kind of like docks just outside of castle structure. To the left I think I recall a ladder going straight up to an upper walkway, but that almost always led to immediate death on reaching the top. Going in the main covered stone entrance that was destroyed and all crumbled. You go to the right and down a stone rubble hill and hang out to the right of the main gate that needs to be dynamited. To the left of the gate is a corner where the wall turns and I remember that being a constant rush of axis coming through. Above that left area is where that ladder led on an upper stone walkway that led back to an area where axis often sniped from behind pillars. I don't remember much about that left side and back axis portion of the map. Once through the gate I believe there may have been a fenced area to the right inside the courtyard. Heading through the courtyard, allies would go into this small covered structure and down some stairs. I think the objective was to steal some gold from down there and run it back up and out. The delivery spot may have been either back out to the 'docks' spawn to a boat, but I think I recall something about a truck being across a bridge over some water that is accessed from the right side of the courtyard beyond that fenced area.

Really having some issues recalling specific details from my memory of rounds played on this map 10-15 years ago, let alone how to articulate those in-game experiences into helpful details of the map.

I've tried searching thousands upon thousands of RTCW and ET map images looking for anything that looked like it could possibly be this map, but I have had no luck for the many years I have been searching.

If any has any recollection of what map this may have been, or even if it was for sure an RTCW map and not an ET map, I'd appreciate it very much as it has been driving me crazy for all these years.

Here is a quick and crap drawing of a bit of what I can remember.

Mystery Map.jpg

Nothing you've said rings a bell for me but if you have any ideas for what the name of the map could be I can do some digging and test out a few maps with similar names.

Thank you all very much for your assistance with this!

ElEl:

I don't recall the name, but Dark sounded familiar. However, it isn't mp_dark (which was an RTCW single player map that was converted to RTCW MP). I have so many map names running through my mind and many sound familiar, but I've found they are familiar for different reasons. I keep trying to picture the map loading screen, as well as recalling myself looking through server listings for servers that had been running the map to jump on and play. Sadly it has been over a decade and my memory really isn't coming up with anything more than fuzzy, vague words. I have gone down archives of both RTCW and ET maps and looked at their 'levelshot' images. I've also done hundreds of different searches for RTCW and ET in-game images to see if anything looked familiar, and I've also downloaded hundreds of maps and either loaded them up to test or (in the case of RTCW maps) simply did a quick decompile of the bsp files using GtkRadiant to quickly peek to see if it was the map. No luck yet. 😕

captnconcrete:

I'm thankful to hear that my poor text and graphical description was enough that you could help with letting me know that I wasn't nuts thinking it was an RTCW map. I distinctly remember being crouched next to the gate defending my dyno and seeing the 'pillow' health and ammo packs used in RTCW around me. I couldn't recall if that meant it was RTCW map or if it could've been an ET server with the classic pillow pack mod on it and it meant it was an ET map or an RTCW map converted to ET.

Merl1n:

I've checked out mp_castle_siege, but I haven't been able to find a pk3 for mp_castle. I'm thinking it was one of the base/included RTCW maps. I just watched a video on youtube showing someone playing mp_castle and it really is very familiar, but it is very different from the map I am looking for.

I also checked out mp_keep and many others, but still no luck. I actually just went through a huge list of RTCW maps once again for a few hours and still haven't found it.

https://www.breezie.be/rtcw/mapdownloader/maps.php

https://www.rtcw.info/mapdb/rtcw/

More info:

In that video above the walls appear like a mossy/dirty brown stone, but I recall the stone walls being a darker grayish tone. Perhaps it was the lighting of the map, though, as the one I am searching for is almost entirely open to a night time sky so may look darker. The rubble texture in the above video is likely the same rubble texture though - it looks just as I remember the tall rubble pile looking like, but the pile in the map I am searching for has more debris sticking out of it.

I'm going to spend some time later on searching through more youtube videos to see if I can find a recorded gameplay video of someone playing on the map. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find one even if it is just a few seconds of footage in a 'goomba' montage video.

Again, thank you all very much for the help you've been able to provide to me already. You've really helped focus my search.

Edited by StinVec
  • Like 1

• Leader

This seems to be another video of the same map on the same server, from another player's pov:

This site says that the MP_names maps are standard with the "RTCW Classic" :  http://www.bosskey.net/rtcw/maps/standard.html

Project Wolf downloads : http://www.wolfenstein4ever.de/index.php/downloads/viewcategory/76-rtcw-full-versions ...

I downloaded the Project Wolf and installed RTCW.  The mp_pak0.pk3 includes the various mp_map bsp files, including mp_castle.bsp.

These lines are in the mb_castle.script file:

wm_mapdescription        "Allied forces are attempting to infiltrate the Axis-occupied castle and escape with the Sacred Obelisk."

wm_objective_allied_desc    1    "Primary Objective:**Blow open the Coffin in the Northeast Courtyard with dynamite."
wm_objective_allied_desc    2    "Primary Objective:**Steal the Sacred Obelisk, from inside the Coffin."
wm_objective_allied_desc    3    "Primary Objective:**Escape with the Obelisk through the Escape Tunnel in the Southern Crypts."
wm_objective_allied_desc    4    "Secondary Objective:**Destroy the West Gate for fast access to the Courtyard."
wm_objective_allied_desc    5    "Secondary Objective:**Destroy the Hallway Gate for faster access to the Courtyard."
wm_objective_axis_desc        1    "Primary Objective:**Prevent the Allies from destroying the Coffin in the Northeast Courtyard."
wm_objective_axis_desc        2    "Primary Objective:**Prevent the Allies from stealing the Sacred Obelisk."
wm_objective_axis_desc        3    "Primary Objective:**Stop the Allies from escaping, through the tunnel in the Southern Crypts."
wm_objective_axis_desc        4    "Secondary Objective:**Do not let the Allies advance."
wm_objective_axis_desc        5    "Secondary Objective:**Do not let the Allies advance."

If that sounds familiar, then you should be able to use the .bsp and .script files... ???

Edited by RedBaird
  • Like 1

Hi, RedBaird. Thank you very much for that additional and helpful information on that mp_castle map, though that was not that map that I am in search of identifying, unfortunately.

I thought I had managed to accumulate all of the original map pak files to check out the base maps in addition to many dozens of custom maps that I have been looking through to see if I can identify the map I am searching for. Apparently the map packs I've acquired are titled as "mp_pakmaps0.pk3" and progress numerically and are not the original maps (they include trenchtoast, dam, ice, etc). I just installed that same Project Wolf after you recommended it for the base pak file maps and checked out the bsp/map file for mp_castle to be sure it isn't the map. That map is definitely not the one I am in search of, sadly.

MP Castle is mostly close-quarters interior and crypt-related with three separate confined and vertical areas having no roof and open to the sky, while the one I am searching for is primarily larger (a bit wider than goldrush bank courtyard and 2-3 times as long) and almost entirely open to the night sky). The only real 'interior' sections of the map I am searching for are axis spawn rooms at the rear of the courtyard, the upper walkways around the perimeter of the castle/base/keep having ceilings, and below the surface down the steps in the courtyard where the objective to steal is located where there are likely a couple rooms and a hallway as I think axis have a second spawn down there.

I appreciate your efforts to help with my search as well, and I feel I am a bit closer now that it has been narrowed down a little bit more.

Edited by StinVec
  • Sad 1

• Platinum VIP
On 9/29/2018 at 4:17 AM, StinVec said:

Hi all. I've been struggling to remember an old map from at least 10-15 years ago that was popular. I recall that I played it a lot around 2003-2004 during college, so it may have been an RTCW map and not an ET map, but may have also been an RTCW map ported into ET. I remember a lot of details about the map and I've tried to draw out a really crappy top-down of the first part.

I recall the obj being for allies to enter this stone base/castle and dynamite the main gate in an open courtyard. Once through the courtyard you go down some steps in a covered structure. I don't remember details about below the surface, but I believe it involved stealing some gold and bringing it back up and returning it to the starting spawn area.

Essentially, allies attack and start on what I think I recall as being kind of like docks just outside of castle structure. To the left I think I recall a ladder going straight up to an upper walkway, but that almost always led to immediate death on reaching the top. Going in the main covered stone entrance that was destroyed and all crumbled. You go to the right and down a stone rubble hill and hang out to the right of the main gate that needs to be dynamited. To the left of the gate is a corner where the wall turns and I remember that being a constant rush of axis coming through. Above that left area is where that ladder led on an upper stone walkway that led back to an area where axis often sniped from behind pillars. I don't remember much about that left side and back axis portion of the map. Once through the gate I believe there may have been a fenced area to the right inside the courtyard. Heading through the courtyard, allies would go into this small covered structure and down some stairs. I think the objective was to steal some gold from down there and run it back up and out. The delivery spot may have been either back out to the 'docks' spawn to a boat, but I think I recall something about a truck being across a bridge over some water that is accessed from the right side of the courtyard beyond that fenced area.

Really having some issues recalling specific details from my memory of rounds played on this map 10-15 years ago, let alone how to articulate those in-game experiences into helpful details of the map.

I've tried searching thousands upon thousands of RTCW and ET map images looking for anything that looked like it could possibly be this map, but I have had no luck for the many years I have been searching.

If any has any recollection of what map this may have been, or even if it was for sure an RTCW map and not an ET map, I'd appreciate it very much as it has been driving me crazy for all these years.

Here is a quick and crap drawing of a bit of what I can remember.

Mystery Map.jpg

Yes! I was thinking of this map recently and wondering the name. The 4 pillars at the back are what reminds me it's the same map you're probably thinking of. My first ET Clan (Beer and Pizza Clan) had this in rotation

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Leader

OH, NO!  I should have suspected that you would have found the same info that I did!  I :D at myself.  I seem to make this error a lot:  search for a subject and find what the questioner has already found.  NO 🍪 for me! :( 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

OH, NO!  I should have suspected that you would have found the same info that I did!  I :D at myself.  I seem to make this error a lot:  search for a subject and find what the questioner has already found.  NO 🍪 for me! :( 

*Sends love and cookies* 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Leader
1 hour ago, Chuckun said:

*Sends love and cookies* 

:offtopic  Chuckun knows!  He has been one of my more recent "victims"! :( 

I don't have forum-permissions to post enough 🍪's for all of the suffering that I have caused!  My earnest efforts end up as just more :spam

7 hours ago, RedBaird said:

No, I am very thankful for your being willing to help, which you did very much, and I appreciate the effort you put in to provide all of that info. Because of your recommended links I was able to acquire and access the original mp_pak0.pk3 file and mp_castle bsp file to verify that it was absolutely not the map I am searching for instead of just going off of a short youtube gameplay video of the map. I have extremely slow internet, so downloading all of the maps that do not have a 'levelshot' image, or any images of the maps online takes quite a long time just to check them out. But that is one more that I can definitely rule out as being the one I am searching for.

• Leader

Here are the 5 mp_castle_objectives pics from the pk, just in case.  

mp_castle_objectives.zip

Edited by RedBaird
typo, groan.
  • Like 1