Renovating my house

RendeL

On 8/12/2018 at 3:06 PM, captnconcrete said:

nice job bud that looks good.!!! man i want to help.😁very nice angle cuts and straight lines ..u even  nailed in straight row..very good looking!

Missed a crucial part of your post: nails are not in straight lines, simply because I used nails that sinks a bit deeper and plan is to paint those boards for the second time (maybe next year if not now soon), so it covers everything, including the nails. Cuts are not good in the corners, but I'll cover those with aluminium bar, same colour.

It is amazing how the paints have evolved in these years. The one I used has a sort of rubberish surface and the couple of heavy rains that we had last days, the water flows smoothly off, just like if you put wax on a car. And I just painted one layer!

Finished the (fire) hatch also and that I succeeded well imo, cant even tell there is one if you look further :D Also the sheets for the roof were delivered yesterday, now just waiting for the call from the installer company :P

• Leader

I like this pic best, with the evidence of a lovely family with at least 3 kids of various ages.  :D

Roof-work is Serious-Work!  Do you have government Building Inspectors in your country who must approve such work?  The roof on my house was converted from a flat-top to a peaked-roof by professional contractors and the Inspector(s) had to come by at certain stages of work to do their inspections and to okay further stages of work.  I suspect that this is partially done to protect future home-buyes, since only during construction can the bad-methods be detected.

20180801_200015.jpg

• Like 1

Change plan for roof shape and structural changes is required afaik. Also if you buy the wooden framework premade then the manufacturer will supply all the calculations and stress test documents. You can do the installations by yourself, but if one would decide to do the roof framework on site, then it normally means that much sturdier beams must be used to ensure proper structural rigidity also some calculations must be made for inspector. It's been awhile since the last time I did constructions like this, so I'm not quite sure the newest regulations which might  be valid at the moment.  We tend to get quite heavy snow loads on our roofs in the winter time, at least in the northern Finland, hence the reason for quite detailed rules fro roof structures.

-Merlin

• Like 2

I read about permissions, but after a quite big prize (150 - 250 e) tag was put on a minor notification (doesn't require approval) to the building supervisors, I thought like everyone else: f*** it :D

All the houses around ours have similar roof profile and also they have made also the boards, without asking permissions or notifications. Just if the total change of colour would become in question, then it'd require notification. This isn't the case for us.

Dont think any company will calculate the strengths required on a old house, they just put new wood on top of the old. They even just build new roof on top of old, like one of our neighbour has. On new buildings all has to be right on spot tho, but since so many structural failures I have seen past few years, I think noone really inspects stuff they supposed to with good care.

Good example is a big daycare building here, that was ready in 2014. Last summer they found "bad air conditions" inside and they had to close the whole building. City and the contractor fought about who is responsible to fix the failures and they finaly after a year got to a agreement. The building costed over 3 million e and to fix it costed almost 1 m more...now the city is planning to build 4 new school buildings within the next 4 years....boy do I feel happy to pay the taxes! :D

P.S. RB is starting to freak me out with his profiling skills :D

• Haha 1