See Venus swing by the crescent moon next Monday morning. (Sept.14,2020)

LazyHippo

The moon and Venus will form a triangle with the Beehive star cluster in the predawn sky.

triangulation.jpg.7b02e9d3583103ffc4d997a21dffed72.jpg

In the predawn morning sky on Monday (Sept. 14), a beautiful celestial sight will likely attract a lot of attention for early risers. A few hours before sunrise, low above the east-northeast horizon you'll see a slender sliver of a waning crescent moon. And located to its left you'll see a dazzling, silvery-white "star" shining with a steady glow.  

That will be the planet Venus, shining at an eye-popping magnitude of -4.2 (thirteen times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star) from a distance of 88.8 million miles (142.8 million kilometers) from Earth.   

Venus dominates the heavens from the time it comes up over the horizon a little north of due east around 3 a.m. local daylight time; nearly four hours before the sun and some two hours before the first light of dawn. Its brightness puts neighboring stars — even its closest rival at that hour, topaz-colored Mars, which will be riding high in the southwest sky — to shame. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, daredevil said:

I need something like this 😄 

vintage looking GIF by NASA

Well if you see the crescent moon and next to it a brilliant star then is not a star is just our neighbor planet Venus.

• Thanks 1

• Leader
On 9/13/2020 at 8:53 AM, daredevil said:

I need something like this 😄 

vintage looking GIF by NASA

:( You almost got my !st RL LOL of the Day award, but D..X beat you by one minute! 😮 

Woo!  That is titled as "Vintage Looking GIF By NASA"!  

Edited by RedBaird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

A few words about the exploration of Venus. NASA wants to start colonizing campaign of Venus with the help of floating platforms. Personally, I consider the colonization of  Venus a useless idea. Who wants to live in a flotilla above a totally inhospitable environment? I mean if it were the only option for survival then yes, otherwise not worth it. Also completely unworkable from a colonization perspective. To be a colony it needs to have a significant if not total ability to be independent. There is no way that some flotilla in the atmosphere of Venus can supply its own raw material needs for manufacturing as mining the surface of Venus would be well beyond what a flotilla environment could manage. Perhaps might be feasible and reasonable for NASA or the like to put a floating research station there with rotating crews and regular supply runs, but that would be about it. IMO NASA puts out silly things like this just to keep the public's interest in space so they can continue to get funding. All pipe dream nonsense, but it captures the public's imagination.

Also, I wanna mention that Roscosmos chief Dmitry Rogozin says that Russia wants to send its own mission to Venus, in addition to an already-proposed joint venture with the United States called "Venera-D." "We think that Venus is a Russian planet, so we shouldn't lag behind," Rogozin, a former deputy prime minister, told reporters on Tuesday.

• Confused 1

• RedBaird changed the title to See Venus swing by the crescent moon next Monday morning. (Sept.14,2020)
  • Leader
4 hours ago, leonard65 said:

To be a colony it needs to have a significant if not total ability to be independent.

Sometimes, it seems that some people are careless with the definitions of words and use them far outside of their original meanings.  I guess that they then become "borrow words" from within a language instead of from another language.  I have been noticing many such misuses, such as news articles using the word "siege" for "attack" or "invasions".  :( 

Don't get me started on "ambush" or "robot"!

4 hours ago, leonard65 said:

"We think that Venus is a Russian planet,

That is a very interesting attitude! :hmm 

Oh, I get it now:

Russia has sent multiple spacecraft to explore Venus between 1961 and 1984, becoming the first nation to land and take pictures of the surface of Venus from ground level. (Yahoo! Life)

Edited by RedBaird
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Sometimes, it seems that some people are careless with the definitions of words and use them far outside of their original meanings.  I guess that they then become "borrow words" from within a language instead of from another language.  I have been noticing many such misuses, such as news articles using the word "siege" for "attack" or "invasions".  :( 

Don't get me started on "ambush" or "robot"!

That is a very interesting attitude! :hmm 

Oh, I get it now:

Let`s forget about Roscosmos and its` cheaf who became rather famous for his odd statements. That`s hilarious to hear that. Russian space agency is so weak that it makes less launches than Space X per year. I don`t even mention about the space technology they have. And now they are claiming that Russia wants to send its own mission to Venus

Getting back to NASA and its` Venus colonization project, I`d like to say that it would be much better to get involved in some environmental preservervation projects like the usage of land observation satellites. Some space agencies from Europe manufacture such kind of sats to observe particular places like coral reefs in order to preserve them.
https://www.skyrora.com/blog/tag/uk-satellites