Return from the Gulf of Mexico

AntiThought

As a few of you know I returned yesterday from my trip to the Gulf of Mexico. I stayed 3 days in Long Beach, Mississippi and fished in both the Gulf of Mexico and Saint Louis Bay. Since there seems to be an interest in the state of things (involving oil) in the Gulf region I thought I would talk about what I saw. I do not have a camera but I will try to get some of the pictures taken by the other people in my group over the next week or so.

The first day I saw no real evidence of oil other than some dead Marsh Grass in the canals in the west and north parts of the Saint Louis Bay and heavy boat traffic on the horizon of the Gulf around the barrier Islands off the Long Beach shore. It is also worth noting that there were several now closed bait stores and seafood restaurants which relied on local fisherman for their supplies.

While fishing off a pier into Gulf waters on the second day we could see the rocks and pier supports were black from previous oil exposure and had some oil come ashore. It started as a slight sheen of oil much like you would see in a parking lot after a light rain then we noticed the white bubbles that had been coming in on the waves after boats passed were starting to take on a sickly brownish color. A few minutes afterward we could see small blackish brown patches drifting to the rocks. The Coast Guard called in boats to trap the oil with small oil boons and burned it off while bringing in larger boons to try to prevent more oil from reaching the shore.

On the third day they had a fairly extensive series of boons and we could see no oil save for the occasional light sheen on the water and of course the black stained rocks.

On the first and second days I spent some time talking to locals and a common thing I heard was that the oil for the most part is not on the surface but sitting on the bottom for reasons they could not explain (my guess is it has to do with the [according to the Joint Information Center at the Unified Area Command - New Orleans] 1,072,514 gallons of dispersant BP has sprayed on the surface of the water and another 771,272 gallons underneath the water at the site of the damaged well).

We also dropped crab nets but had to release all the crabs we were catching because crabs were found to be black inside from oil in the Saint Louis Bay so it was decided that "they", not sure if that is state or local government, would not allow any crabs to be kept due to health concerns.

It is also unfortunate that I did not get to go out to the barrier islands and see if they had been hit harder by oil than the shoreline at Long Beach.

It's amazing that all that oil disappeared!!

That's what the news sources keep saying. All is well. Problem solved. Nothing to see folks. Nothing to fix.

So there is something like 100 million gallons of oil dissolved right into the ocean waters instead of floating on the surface where it is visible to reporters and scientists. And they can't skim it off the surface if it is dissolved into the water.

It's like mixing oil and water, then mixing in dish soap or rubbing alcohol so it forms a mixture instead of two layers.

Wonder what the effect of dissolving all that oil in the water will be.

And the dispersant itself is as toxic (if not more toxic) than the oil itself.

Exactly Phantasm. I have the dark feeling that by dispersing it it has become a far worse catastrophe. Mililions of barrels of oil have now become dispersed so instead of just being on top it is also on the bottom, and in the middle. And like I believe you are hinting at Phantasm the oil droplets can now be so small that they would be near impossible to see. This gives the illusion of safety and makes those smaller particles more mobile- they could end up further inland perhaps starting up the larger river mouth's like the Wolf and Jourdan rivers when storms blow in. I would not be surprised to see a rise in cancer rates across the region. Don't believe the news all is not yet well I saw that much for myself.

I plus 1 both of your guys posts, the government lies to the viewers saying that nothing is need to be seen they just try to be greedy by not stopping ALL of it, i bet that if they got just 1 water sample from the water they would find out how much oil is dispersed around and unseen of, and the worst part is the more then 2/3 of the world( if im not mistaken) is made of water so if my prediction is correct then that means that oil is spreading to other parts of the world marine life dieing water contaminated from the filth and toxins of oil which quoted from the government "is no problem" ruining the earth day by day...