Dell Inspiron 14 trouble

shellshock

Can anyone help me? Computer Wizz or anyone that has a Dell laptop. My laptop powers on, shows the Dell logo then blacks out and repeats itself. I don't know what to do, I don't have the money to take it anywhere.

• Leader

There is a built-in Dell Diagnostic program that you can use, hopefully : http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/266787/en?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en

I got that link from a site that gives a fix for a Dell laptop running Windows 8 and which has an SSD and an HD, dated 2012.

You or other experts can have a look at this, but I wouldn't do any of what is said until an FA reader comments on it : http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19480504  and definitely not if your machine does not meet the parameters discussed.

Here is the Dell page for your machine : http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN303043

I had done a Google search for 

My Dell "Inspiron 14" laptop powers on, shows the Dell logo then blacks out and repeats itself.
Edited by RedBaird

Which model is this machine?

Have you tried turning the machine on with the AC adapter connected with the battery removed?
Also try turning the computer on with the battery inserted and the AC adapter disconnected?

Does the PC turn itself off or does it stay on and the splash screen keep re-appearing?

It is a Dell inspiron 14 3452. I tried both of those and still nothing. It keeps reappearing.

Gotcha. I'm going to do some searching and see if I can dig up the "Setup" screens to help you out. And perhaps I can find a jumper on the logic board that can reset the BIOS/UEFI or allow for a clean flash (if that is needed)

Thanks for hanging with me, I was on the phone when I typed that so I was pretty distracted and probably didn't ask the right questions. :P

Can you get into the Setup page by pressing and holding down F2 when you first turn the machine on?

• Leader

Here is the Dell page for your machine : http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN303043

If you go to that page and put "dell inspiron 14 (3452)" into the search window, it will take you to a page of helpful links.

I can't put the results page link here, because that address link connects to a product-sales page :?:

If you go to that page and put "dell inspiron 14 (3452)" into the search window, it will take you to a page of helpful links.

I can't put the results page link here, because that address link connects to a product-sales page :?:

I looked through the search results, and I didn't really see anything that stuck out at me being particularly helpful. The bit about resetting the BIOS is helpful, but it wouldn't do much good if the BIOS is corrupted. But I suppose it's a good place to start if he can get into the Setup page.

15. Resetting the System Setup (BIOS) to its Default Settings

Option 1:

Reboot the computer.
    When you see the Dell logo during POST, press the <F2> key to enter the setup screen.
    On the System Setup screen, press the <Right Arrow> key to move to the Exit menu.
    Press the <Down Arrow> key until Restore Defaults is highlighted, and press the <Enter> key.
    Press the <Enter> key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Option 2:

Reboot the computer.
    When you see the Dell logo during POST, press the <F2> key to enter the setup screen.
    On the System Setup screen, press the <F9> key.
    Press the <Enter> key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

The problem is that they address getting stuck at the POST/splash screen or no video output, but they don't address bootlooping which is the issue here.

I've dealt with several Dell machines that have gotten stuck at the Splash screen, but I have yet to see one bootloop.

I'm thinking it's handing control over to the Operating System, because the motherboard is getting an ACPI command to change power-states (reboot). That, or the BIOS is corrupted.

(Note: the only machine that's bootlooped on me is my own homebuilt one. Still trying to figure that out, but it has it's own topic. :P)

what you can try is to open up the back where the memory is. If you have two memory bars in there:

take one out and try it with the other one.

if that causes the same issues switch them and try it with the other one.

if one of the bars work, it is the one in your hand that has an issue.

I tried everything on the Dell website and I have no clue how to fix the bootloop. Ugh I miss fragging :(

I was pretty sure their website articles were useless. First things first...

Can you get into the Setup page by pressing and holding down F2 when you first turn the machine on?

And what redy mentioned would be a good thing to try: (Though I think it may only have one 4gb stick)

what you can try is to open up the back where the memory is. If you have two memory bars in there:

take one out and try it with the other one.

if that causes the same issues switch them and try it with the other one.

if one of the bars work, it is the one in your hand that has an issue.

Not a dell, but had the issue when restoring a laptop, would just boot loop until i replaced the ram stick that was in it. Worth a shot. You can get used ones for a couple bucks.

I have ran diagnostics multiple times and there's nothing wrong.

That is good. You have not answered my question though- can you get to the BIOS setup page or not?

The procedure is the same for all dell machines. Tap or hold F2 when the Dell logo comes up.

Here's a video showing what to do:

• Like 1