Yahoo Says 1 Billion User Accounts Were Hacked

Gengis

SAN FRANCISCO — Yahoo, already reeling from its September disclosure that 500 million user accounts had been hacked in 2014, disclosed Wednesday that a different attack in 2013 compromised more than 1 billion accounts.

The two attacks are the largest known security breaches of one company’s computer network.

The newly disclosed 2013 attack involved sensitive user information, including names, telephone numbers, dates of birth, encrypted passwords and unencrypted security questions that could be used to reset a password. Yahoo said it is forcing all of the affected users to change their passwords and it is invalidating unencrypted security questions — steps that it declined to take in September.

It is unclear how many Yahoo users were affected by both attacks. The internet company has more than 1 billion active users, but it is not clear how many inactive accounts were hacked.

Yahoo said it discovered the larger hacking after analyzing data files, provided by law enforcement, that an unnamed third party had claimed contained Yahoo information.

Edited by Gengis
  • Like 4

Again?

What the hell are they doing. It's not the first time it happened....

I guess it's time to change mails.

Again?

What the hell are they doing. It's not the first time it happened....

I guess it's time to change mails.

I think a lot of people use yahoo account for spam and probably don't protect them very well. At least thats what I did :P

Get Gmail, works way better

• Leader

I use all three of those, plus one more. ;)

They put their real birthdays in Yahoo?  I don't have it in my FB account, either!

Ew. Yahoo has been junk since the 90s.. <_< Still looks like a relic of that Era, complete with ads...

Outlook is also terrible now.. the new interface is annoying, slow and the revamp was just simply a bad decision. Plus... they took away the ability to easily link and switch between accounts.. oh.. and the spam mail galore!

I switched to Gmail officially a few years ago. Comfy and I can switch between business and regular accounts with one click. Spam mail is nearly non existent. And unlike my Hotmail, game accounts tied to my Gmail haven't been hacked. :P

Outlook and yahoo have been only been functional for throwaway accounts to curb promo offers in stores :P

I think a lot of people use yahoo account for spam and probably don't protect them very well. At least thats what I did :P

Get Gmail, works way better

I have gmail yes, for work purposes and other important stuff.

Minor things and forums - yahoo ^^.

But still, they say that they're working on it yet it happens again and again.

+they own Flickr so I kinda have to use their mail to login :/