Choosing a different network

Flible

Asus k55vd laptop, windows 10

For the past two weeks we had 3 repairmen trying to fix the unstable or completely absent internet. I've gone to drop-outs of a minute every 4 or 5 minutes to drop-outs of 20 minutes per 3 days (which I was fine with, but somebody else in the house was not) back to a drop-out of a second every 10 seconds as well as drop-outs of 20 minutes per 3 hours.

The latest modification was the installment of a modem to which we were prompted to connect instead of the internet we have from our All-in-one Horizon box. I hypothesize that my laptop is trying to connect to different WiFi's at the same time at some point and that this causes drop-outs. The few-second drop-outs, I suspect are packet loss caused by my firewall that is not a friend of our new modem. I think to have solved this, but can't test until about 20 hours after this original post.

Now to my main, probably simple, question: How do I get my laptop to opt for one network and one network only? It also connects to the old network upon restarting (which is not desirable)

Thank you in advance!

Flible

• 6 months later...

Asus k55vd laptop, windows 10

For the past two weeks we had 3 repairmen trying to fix the unstable or completely absent internet. I've gone to drop-outs of a minute every 4 or 5 minutes to drop-outs of 20 minutes per 3 days (which I was fine with, but somebody else in the house was not) back to a drop-out of a second every 10 seconds as well as drop-outs of 20 minutes per 3 hours.

The latest modification was the installment of a modem to which we were prompted to connect instead of the internet we have from our All-in-one Horizon box. I hypothesize that my laptop is trying to connect to different WiFi's at the same time at some point and that this causes drop-outs. The few-second drop-outs, I suspect are packet loss caused by my firewall that is not a friend of our new modem. I think to have solved this, but can't test until about 20 hours after this original post.

Now to my main, probably simple, question: How do I get my laptop to opt for one network and one network only? It also connects to the old network upon restarting (which is not desirable)

Thank you in advance!

Flible

Try it out  ^_^

The Ipconfig command is one of the most used network commands.

Ipconfig / all

Reports, among other things, the IP address of the computer and the router (or gateway) as well as the physical MAC address of the network adapter. With the two commands

Ipconfig / release

and

Ipconfig / renew

You can also reset and restart the connection in the event of network problems.

By the way: In larger networks, many PCs, which do not take over a server role, make the overview in the network environment more difficult. If your computer has "nothing to offer", you can enter it with administrator privileges.

gl
Edited by dMx