Possible new computer

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

I've been wanting to build a new computer but I don't/won't have the money for a while, however, looking at teh internets, there're a few I can afford I'm thinking about getting this week when I get paid. My check is going to be epic. About twice as much as I normally bring home. Let me know what you think of these. Hopefully 1 or 2 more will show up this week. Pics are on the links:

http://peoria.craigslist.org/sys/5724596322.html

AMD FX-8320 Eight Core Processor

8GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

2 Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-x Tri-x 3Gb GDDR5 Graphics Cards (Not currently in case but works great like new)

Blu-ray Drive

Corsair Season 120M Liquid Cooler
800 Watt PSU

Crossfire Ready, this is a very good PC (WTF is Crossfire ready??)

This one, I've never used liquid cooled. I don't know anything about it.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/sys/5764926376.html

i7 3770k quad core (hyper threaded)
MSI Z77a-GD65 motherboard
G.skilled 16gb ram 2133mhz
Seagate 1Tb hdd
Corsair 750watt Bronze PSU
TP-Link N900 PCIE wifi card
DVD-burner
Bitfenix case
Razar Keyboard
generic mouse
Vizio 24in 1080p Television (used for monitor)
HDMI cable
Windows 7 Pro with product code (legit) (I'll have to put my Win 10 on this one)

Crossfire Ready, this is a very good PC (WTF is Crossfire ready??)

It's like Nvidia's SLI. It means you can put another AMD gfx card in simultaneously for increased performance. ^.^

I don't care for AMD much... cheaper product.. but not as reliable as Nvidia has been when it comes to performance in many newer games. Nvidia fangirl for life! :P But... is there a GFX card in the second computer?.. I don't see one listed. Said it was for SLI... but no card listed. Probably why it's so cheap.. xD  You would have to get a card probably.. still a nice setup. :)

First pc would be more cost effective maybe because it's fully setup with gfx included. I would find out more about second pc before buying...

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

It's like Nvidia's SLI. It means you can put another AMD gfx card in simultaneously for increased performance. ^.^

I don't care for AMD much... cheaper product.. but not as reliable as Nvidia has been when it comes to performance in many newer games. Nvidia fangirl for life! :P But... is there a GFX card in the second computer?.. I don't see one listed. Said it was for SLI... but no card listed. Probably why it's so cheap.. xD  You would have to get a card probably.. still a nice setup. :)

First pc would be more cost effective maybe because it's fully setup with gfx included. I would find out more about second pc before buying...

The 2nd one does not have a vid card. Both have things I like and dislike but for the money, I can make sacrifices til I can afford to build again. I'd prefer not going with AMD bit an 8 core, 2 Sapphire vid cards, etc, it's a good enough trade off

Where is the SSD?

I just talked to the guy. It has a 1TB WD 7200 HDD in it. I'd still add a 250gb SSD and it has only 1 8GB RAM in it, so I figure I can add 3 of my 2GB Corsair DDR3's. Still hoping the 2nd one calls me back.

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

Just came across this one.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/sys/5729737434.html

GPU: MSI N660TI PE 2GD5/OC Geforce GTX 660

CPU: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi Quad Core 4.2 GHz

MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3 120GB

HHD: Western Digital WD RE4 7200 RPM 500GB (Windows 8 OS)

Disc Drive: LITE-ON Black SATA

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Case: CM Storm Enforcer

12" red Logisys LED strip

Cooler Master Mega Flow 200 (red)

Thermaltake 120mm fan (2) (red)

Misc.

Monitor: Samsung 24" LED S24C750P

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MK710

Headset: Logitech Gaming Headset G930

Speakers: Logitech Z200

Logitech 720p webcam

Xbox 360 controller with wireless adapter for Microsoft windows

• Platinum VIP

Ugh, the one above sold but I just talked to a guy about this one. No gpu so I'd need to find a decent one that i can afford

http://peoria.craigslist.org/sys/5765082565.html

ASRock Formula OC Motherboard

Intel i7-4771 @ 3.5 GHz

G.Skill 1866 32GB (4x8GB) RAM

Seagate 2TB SSHD

OCZ 1250W PSU

Windows 10

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

Why don't you just build one yourself? It's very easy and it will be cheaper.

No it won't be cheaper. How do you figure that? My last build cost over $2000.00, which is why it lasted 6 years. No way I could do a new build for 600.00

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

I might look into that,. thanks!

Just saw this one, showed up this morning

http://peoria.craigslist.org/sys/5767800438.html

ASUS Maximus V Formula MoBo
Intel i7 3770K that's not been OC'd (but from what I read, it definitely can hit high numbers when properly cooled)
I think the heat sink I have on it is an after market Cooler Master. I know it's not OEM, but I don't remember exactly which.
16gb GSKILL DDR3 (4x4GB)
ASUS GTX 770 w/ 4GB GDDR5
In Win Full Size ATX case
Blu-Ray/DVD optical drive

850W LEPA PSU

I might look into that,. thanks!

Just saw this one, showed up this morning

Intel i7 3770K that's not been OC'd (but from what I read, it definitely can hit high numbers when properly cooled)

I think the heat sink I have on it is an after market Cooler Master. I know it's not OEM, but I don't remember exactly which.

16gb GSKILL DDR3 (4x4GB)

850W LEPA PSU

If I understood it correctly, this one comes without PSU and HDDs, so I don't recommend this one if the price is your main concern (there are other good rigs with all incl. in the same price range). The advantage is you can choose your PSU and HDDs, but it will add to the cost.

You can't go wrong with any i7 CPU, look for MSI motherboard and GPU, as they make really great products. ASUS is the second choice. Good PSU is also pretty important. Together with cooling, contributes greatly to the PC health and stable performance.

• Platinum VIP

If I understood it correctly, this one comes without PSU and HDDs, so I don't recommend this one if the price is your main concern (there are other good rigs with all incl. in the same price range). The advantage is you can choose your PSU and HDDs, but it will add to the cost.

You can't go wrong with any i7 CPU, look for MSI motherboard and GPU, as they make really great products. ASUS is the second choice. Good PSU is also pretty important. Together with cooling, contributes greatly to the PC health and stable performance.

He emailed me, he's throwing in the PSU and a 500 GB HDD. I actually have 2 of those now and would buy a 250GB SSD and run the 2 HDD's as slaves. the only other 2 I'm looking at don't have GPU's and that would cost me more to buy

• Like 1

No it won't be cheaper. How do you figure that? My last build cost over $2000.00, which is why it lasted 6 years. No way I could do a new build for 600.00

You have the ability to buy all sorts of hardware, not just stuff that adds up to $2,000.  I don't even know where to begin with that one.  Alright, if you're not confident in that approach, then be it.  

Out of curiosity I just built a mock computer and tried to be on budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FVm4sJ

If you already have an OS you could remove it from the list and say... give yourself 8GB more RAM.  The list includes prices with mail-in-rebates, but those work.  If you want to stay away from MIRs then we could make a list with that in mind.  Oh, also, we could go even lower.  $500 machine etc.

Edited by gamestate
  • Like 1

16gb GSKILL DDR3 (4x4GB)

850W LEPA PSU

This built seems a bit outdated. You said he throws in a PSU and HDD? I cant get over the fact that he pulls out the good stuff out and leaves you with outdated items for 600$.

for example the i7: (53months old hardware, that is over 4 years)

CPU_3770_K.jpg

The good item was the GPU:

GPU_GTX_770.jpg

850W LEPA PSU:

never heard of LEPA. Doesnt seem to be high quality. Also 850Watt is way overpowered. It will consume more energy and it will probably produce more heat.

I checked amazon and between 6 - 8 people bought/rated LEPA. for comparison: EVGA has 2300 ratings.

PSU_lepa.jpg

final:

be a bit careful with this build. It is overpriced and the components are not high quality.

He doesnt give you the decent items like the GPU. (Why would he even put it into the listing... well...)

If you can get the build for ~400$, i would say go for it. this leaves you with 200$ for a nice GPU and the risk that you have to replace items because they are a bit older.

for 600$ you have a decent budget. There are a couple of people here that know what they are talking about and you can trust us more than some random craigslist person. Like the other members stated in previous posts, building your own PC might be a good option.

Edited by redy.
  • Like 3