Question regarding switchin harddrives

Vetter2003

Does anyone know if he's using a new copy of Windows or if it's his old one? Running into a licensing issue after all the wait would suck.

Man... that sucks about the heatsink. Funny because when I've bought a new boxed CPU, it always comes with a stock cooler. They can suck, but it's better than no cooling at all. :P
Maybe you bought a new CPU in a "tray".

I feel the frustration though! When I got my new mobo, I found that my fans weren't proper for the headers on the motherboard and they blew full force until I got the correct ones.
Which version of Windows may I ask? (I haven't ever really had an issue with Windows Activation, unlike some- but I am curious)

Windows 7,  from what I've been reading if its version you bought for your computer I should have no problem with product key but if it came on an OEM machine than I will, such as like a premade computer from dell or hp. At least that is what I've come up with on my internet search.

Anyways the heatsink and fan will be waiting for me when I get home and I'll attempt to try this upgrade again! Pretty sure I have all the pieces I need this time, only time will tell  :D 

Windows 7,  from what I've been reading if its version you bought for your computer I should have no problem with product key but if it came on an OEM machine than I will, such as like a premade computer from dell or hp. At least that is what I've come up with on my internet search.

Not necessarily. In the past, I've found that you can activate an OEM edition of Windows on a non-OEM machine using the phone activation method. As long as the copy isn't in use by more than one machine, you should be good. (But I've never run into any such issue)

Alright thought I was good to go tonight but ran into another snag that I overlooked... my old cd drives are that big 40 pin connector, so now i need to get a SATA cd drive. 

Getting pretty good at taking the computer apart and putting it back together, 4 days is to long to wait so i reinstalled all my old stuff....  Talk about a learning experience! Now Tuesday is the new day! 

• Like 1

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 doesn´t this method work?

DL ISO(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 from here? but on sites which ask product keys, make sure you are visiting authentic site- it has to be verified and if you have visited MS before it should show how many times on has visited the site, FF at least shows that for example I´ve visited MS 58x times, by clicking on ! mark on the left of address bar).

Then get https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool choose ISO and make USB bootable Win7. USB+ SSD installation is super fast, 5-15 min depending how much it waits behind secondary tasks, like verifying product, DL commercials etc. If my memory serves me correct then there were 2 options to use DL dool, DL ISO or make USB from ISO from PC.

PS make sure to put CPU cooler in right way, managed to set mine to push air inside my case, didn´t realise why temps were raising:P

And yep, for ppl who don´t want default cooler Intel is selling 2 versions of Boxed CPU-s now, one of them without cooler in case one is going to buy aftermarket anyways. Waste of space and resources.

• Like 1

Alright thought I was good to go tonight but ran into another snag that I overlooked... my old cd drives are that big 40 pin connector, so now i need to get a SATA cd drive. 

Getting pretty good at taking the computer apart and putting it back together, 4 days is to long to wait so i reinstalled all my old stuff....  Talk about a learning experience! Now Tuesday is the new day! 

If you are buying CDD only for installing Windows, don't bother. You can install it from USB even faster. There are numerous tutorials on internet how to do that. And you have me, we can meet on TS or Skype (even better) where I can explain you all the details needed.

As said above, you don't necessarily need a CD/DVD drive in your machine to get it up and running.

Getting pretty good at taking the computer apart and putting it back together

In response to this: Be careful. Your biggest enemy with computer components is flexing of the circuit board. This happens naturally as temperature varies, but repeated re-installation will stress the PCB more than usual. You may only notice this years down the road, unfortunately. It's not unheard of for BGA's (ie: how surface mount IC's and CPUs mount/make contact) to break, effectively "bricking" a system.

I'm not trying to intimidate or scare, just provide future knowledge. Your build should be alright as long as you're careful with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 doesn´t this method work?

DL ISO(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 from here? but on sites which ask product keys, make sure you are visiting authentic site- it has to be verified and if you have visited MS before it should show how many times on has visited the site, FF at least shows that for example I´ve visited MS 58x times, by clicking on ! mark on the left of address bar).

Then get https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool choose ISO and make USB bootable Win7. USB+ SSD installation is super fast, 5-15 min depending how much it waits behind secondary tasks, like verifying product, DL commercials etc. If my memory serves me correct then there were 2 options to use DL dool, DL ISO or make USB from ISO from PC.

PS make sure to put CPU cooler in right way, managed to set mine to push air inside my case, didn´t realise why temps were raising:P

And yep, for ppl who don´t want default cooler Intel is selling 2 versions of Boxed CPU-s now, one of them without cooler in case one is going to buy aftermarket anyways. Waste of space and resources.

If you are buying CDD only for installing Windows, don't bother. You can install it from USB even faster. There are numerous tutorials on internet how to do that. And you have me, we can meet on TS or Skype (even better) where I can explain you all the details needed.

I had already went and put windows on a USB, when reading through my MoBo manual it said I had 3 choices for loading an OS and that was one way.  I guess I thought I needed my MoBo cd during setup... but maybe not.. I'll look into it some more when I get off work in 2 hrs. 

As said above, you don't necessarily need a CD/DVD drive in your machine to get it up and running.

In response to this: Be careful. Your biggest enemy with computer components is flexing of the circuit board. This happens naturally as temperature varies, but repeated re-installation will stress the PCB more than usual. You may only notice this years down the road, unfortunately. It's not unheard of for BGA's (ie: how surface mount IC's and CPUs mount/make contact) to break, effectively "bricking" a system.

I'm not trying to intimidate or scare, just provide future knowledge. Your build should be alright as long as you're careful with it.

I appreciate all the help and trust me I'm as cautious as they come when it comes to handling computer parts, the less i have to touch it the better i feel about it. 

I guess I thought I needed my MoBo cd during setup...

As long as the setup wizard can see the hard disk(s), you'll be fine without it.

Just remembered that 2 things help the system to discover USB installation disc:

1) USB should be named as briefly as possible: "win" should do it

2) At first OS installation the USB ports at back panel(USB2.0) work best, front panel and especially USB 3.0 ports might not be recognized with the win installation on USB

Something I discovered the hard way;)

• Like 2

Well I'm writing this from my computer on my new system... going through trying to install all the new drivers and update everything... wow this is taking forever.. but at least I'm booted up and working

• Like 1