Fan from hard disk

Helios

This summer was or very cold, or very hot, so during hot days i come to think about making fan from broken hard disk.

I opened hard disk, removed disk and put fan blades (that i cut from plastic bottle) in.

Result is very noisly fan. Yes, it work and even do some feelable wind o_O

Not so terrible hot summer at cost of very big noise.

Here is couple photo:

14855babad8781a29958a834d21652a7.jpg

cb8a0c8aec85ba12824b6ee29d5a0dd7.jpg

• Like 3

I wonder how this performs... where is the air intake? Can you explain airflow direction?

Air intake from place where was actuator. Strongest airflow direction something like this: 257aeca3fe90a8bb9bcb2580ff61c64c.png

Wind is feelable, but not more. I was trying long time to make wind stronger but failed.

I hold this for an interesting idea, although with not really effective result. If you have the will (and means), you should drill as many holes as possible, big as possible, into the HDD. The airflow you described is just not the natural (proper) way for any fan. The air intake must come from the direction where u pointed "HD". This way you will get much, much better result.

I hold this for an interesting idea, although with not really effective result. If you have the will (and means), you should drill as many holes as possible, big as possible, into the HDD. The airflow you described is just not the natural (proper) way for any fan. The air intake must come from the direction where u pointed "HD". This way you will get much, much better result.

In place where i pointed hd i have hd drive that move fan, so better don't touch it. But i will do some holes under the fan when i get tools for this.
  • Like 1