Computer Running Hot?

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

Just finally took care of my heat problem. Got new thermal paste but also, pulled the cooler and used a soft rubber tip to clean all the dust out from behind the fan.

Temps holding steady at about 39-41 C, spiked to 49 when Chrome was opening, then dropped right back down and fans running between 2800 - 3100 RPMs. Nice and quiet.

Temp art 55-58 C while et on and FPS FINALLY steady 125!

GPU at 42-46 C under minimal load

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1

Don't forget to run Prime95 or an equivalent stress testing program! ;)

I ran it just now, looks like I need to bump up my vcore.

Prim95 since Haswell series burnt CPU-s up too much? Related to AVX instructions...

Random 1st search: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/751197-Prime-95-v28-5-Haswell-CPU-s-and-you-is-it-bad-for-the-CPU-s-health

• Like 1

Prim95 since Haswell series burnt CPU-s up too much? Related to AVX instructions...

Random 1st search: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/751197-Prime-95-v28-5-Haswell-CPU-s-and-you-is-it-bad-for-the-CPU-s-health

The system here is AMD, but in any event there are quite a few alternatives such as OCCT.

I don't OC so no need to really run that

That's not quite true... Stability issues can occur whether you're running at stock clocks and voltages, or if you're overclocking.

There's so many variables that can cause throttling, crashes, unacceptable amounts of vdroop, etc, I just think it's better to be safe than sorry.

But hey, if you don't want to run it, it's not my decision to make.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

The system here is AMD, but in any event there are quite a few alternatives such as OCCT.

That's not quite true... Stability issues can occur whether you're running at stock clocks and voltages, or if you're overclocking.

There's so many variables that can cause throttling, crashes, unacceptable amounts of vdroop, etc, I just think it's better to be safe than sorry.

But hey, if you don't want to run it, it's not my decision to make.

Thing is,m I did run it and if I understand it correctly, it needs to keep running in the background. I don't like things running in the background

Thing is,m I did run it and if I understand it correctly, it needs to keep running in the background. I don't like things running in the background

Yeah, people tend to suggest running it for somewhere around 4-6 hours. And with the load it puts on the CPU, there's not really much you can do on your computer while running the torture test.

Don't blame you for not wanting to leave it running, I tend to keep my eye on it because I've personally seen it push temps a little on the high side. ;)

• Platinum VIP

Yeah, people tend to suggest running it for somewhere around 4-6 hours. And with the load it puts on the CPU, there's not really much you can do on your computer while running the torture test.

Don't blame you for not wanting to leave it running, I tend to keep my eye on it because I've personally seen it push temps a little on the high side. ;)

Maybe I'll let it run overnight