cow head stock =D

stoney baloney

here's a fun picture from the last kitchen i worked in. we have some of the best cattle in colorado, and we use ALL the parts after harvest.

this is a cow head stock that i cooked for about 24 hours. notice how much of the skull has actually dissolved into the liquid. extremely good for you!

https://postimg.org/image/x0xalhv47/

• Like 1

Quite disgusting, my stomach turned but it's good you use all of the meat I guess. No wasting!

Still though. Gross.

not only meat, but great marrow from the bone-- and then of course the tongue, brain and other goodies! i made a sandwich out of the tongue and gave it to my sous chef. he flipped.

I grew up in farm country. Even my deer harvest every year nothing gets thrown out. What I don't take off myself (straps and rump) goes to a guy who processes remaining meat. He then sends it to his friend who puts bones in a pressure cooker to turn it to liquid for a broth he jars and sells. Tasting the marrow off of a fresh kill is very sweet.

• Like 2

I grew up in farm country. Even my deer harvest every year nothing gets thrown out. What I don't take off myself (straps and rump) goes to a guy who processes remaining meat. He then sends it to his friend who puts bones in a pressure cooker to turn it to liquid for a broth he jars and sells. Tasting the marrow off of a fresh kill is very sweet.

venison stock is a delicacy in a lot of cultures, and is absolutely delicious fresh. i've broken down MANY venison/elk, and always find myself humbled by the fragility of the animal... fragile yet so extremely strong.

https://postimg.org/image/y0fdg2y6v/

^ breaking down venison... marinaded the back strap in a fresh thyme/garlic/chardonnay marinade.

where did you grow up, Doc?

Edited by stoney baloney

Eastern Ohio. 8 miles south of Wheeling, WVa. We lived in town, but I worked the local farms. Our family farm is 175 acres, but has been dormant since the 60's. My cousin bought everyone out, but he allows us to hunt it. Been trying to buy back my dad's acreage for years, but my cousin is a bit of a greedy prick and won't budge. Good news is he has the land, but I have a stake in the mineral rights. It killed him when he went to do a fracking lease several years ago and found that he had to split it about 30 ways. He never went through with it to spite us and is one of the reasons he won't sell me part.

• Like 1

oh man... THAT can of worms. my impression is that WVA is big on fracking, too. Raskin i'm not totally sure on it either, but it looks like one of those 'we don't know the entire impact' kind of thing.... and messing with mother nature with that kind of mentality is negligent, imo..... that's another topic, i imagine.

the parts of WVA/eastern Ohio i've seen are beautiful, and must be great for hunting. i've always been a farm boy at heart (born and raised on a farm in rural colorado), and can't imagine living in a city any more. now that i might be settling in the north west, i might start getting a few hunting rifles.

• Like 1

I'm from northern louisiana..veried growning up..both country and big cities in the south..I know how to hunt,fish,set snares and traps..you really never unlearn those things..personally i've disliked hunting a long time..I have nothing against people who like to hunt..I liked fishing the most..offshore mostly..the gulf,Atlantic and Florida Keys..been years tho..I still have a boat..a small old trihull from the '60s lol..just to cruise around and tinker with..I live by a lake inland Florida now..left South Florida over 20 years ago had enough city living..now I'm just a crazy old fart :]

• Like 1

not only meat, but great marrow from the bone-- and then of course the tongue, brain and other goodies! i made a sandwich out of the tongue and gave it to my sous chef. he flipped.

At the laboratory I once had to analyze the tongue of a cow on pathogenic micro organisms, I was pretty surprised how big a cow's tongue really is... I also analyzed a cow's liver, like wow that's huge as well omg.

• Like 2