Bad ping

Carbonautics

Yesterday we were discussing about my bad ping affecting my gaming expireince ,, so someone said me to use winmtr and post it on the forums,,, well this is my winmtr results..

If I have posted on the wrong place i'm sorry,,

PING TEST BY WINMTR _______BY Symbol.txt

• Like 1

some information ? Internet connection, system etc

try to use: 

seta cl_timenudge "-15"       //  Values: -50 to 0

seta cl_maxpackets "100"
seta rate "25000"
seta snaps "20"

seta cl_packetdup "0"

seta cg_predictitems "0"

• Like 2

try to use: 

seta cl_timenudge "-15"       //  Values: -50 to 0 --> placebo effect and useless especially since years ago they replaced it by the antilag feature (which is much more efficient) and that anyway his real latency\ping will remain the same despite what is displayed on the score board.

seta snaps "20" --> cvar locked and forced to 20 on almost all ET server. So no change possible anyway.

seta cl_packetdup "0" --> I wouldn't suggest to decrease but to increase this value if needed or to leave it as it is. Especially with such a ping. Risks\percentage of packets loss is often higher with a high ping. Duplication of packets prevents and corrects issues related to packets loss. 1 being default value=duplication 2x

• Like 1

after have checked your winmtr report, there's prolly some things you could improve to begin. The 1st lines shouldn't be that high.. Especially the 1st. The latter should be close of 0 (or at least in a range between 0-10). Following lines (hops) should be lower too.

• Like 2

some information ? Internet connection, system etc

try to use: 

seta cl_timenudge "-15"       //  Values: -50 to 0

seta cl_maxpackets "100"

seta rate "25000"

seta snaps "20"

seta cl_packetdup "0"

seta cg_predictitems "0"

Thank you for your reply, i'll try the above methods,

try to use: 

seta cl_timenudge "-15"       //  Values: -50 to 0 --> placebo effect and useless especially since years ago they replaced it by the antilag feature (which is much more efficient) and that anyway his real latency\ping will remain the same despite what is displayed on the score board.

seta snaps "20" --> cvar locked and forced to 20 on almost all ET server. So no change possible anyway.

seta cl_packetdup "0" --> I wouldn't suggest to decrease but to increase this value if needed or to leave it as it is. Especially with such a ping. Risks\percentage of packets loss is often higher with a high ping. Duplication of packets prevents and corrects issues related to packets loss. 1 being default value=duplication 2x

Thank you for your reply, i'll try the above methods,,

after have checked your winmtr report, there's prolly some things you could improve to begin. The 1st lines shouldn't be that high.. Especially the 1st. The latter should be close of 0 (or at least in a range between 0-10). Following lines (hops) should be lower too.

What do u suggest me to make it low????

Check your router\modem and your network card (firmware date,driver,settings,..). It's obvious that there's something wrong in there.

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don't know how to update a modem, its bit difficult.

This necro'd thread :ph34r:

Alright, what does the label on the bottom or side of your modem say?

We need the brand name (such as TPLink, Netgear, XyZel, Motorola, etc) and the model number (will be something like PK5001Z, F5D5231, etc).

There may also be a revision number, which would be after the model number and present itself as "v2" or "-2" or something similar.

With this information, we can lookup the default admin portal settings, as well as a possible firmware upgrade for you.

• Like 1

Well I don't see any firmware updates for your router. But I did manage to retrieve the admin portal information:

IP : 117.221.40.1, by the looks of things (otherwise 192.168.1.1)
Username: admin
Password: admin

I am curious to see two different pages. If you could take screenshots of each that would be helpful. The first one is "ADSL Information"- You'll see this on the menu on the left of the screen on the page that comes up after you login.

The second one is "ADSL Diagnostic". This is accessed under the "Maintenance menu", then "Diagnostic Tools". Click on the Start button, and then take a screenshot of the results.

That's all the information we'll need to see how your line is performing.

Take another MTR report though please, the first one is ancient by now.

• Like 1

The adsl info and adsl diagnostics, in the diganostics though the second window with green stuff in it is too big to take some ss of cant do that in ss, following will be some winmtr results  which i thought was of some help, took results with high ping , low spiking ping etc , and all the winmtr results are with cabled tests.[wireless off]. Hope it helped

post-19512-0-10363700-1473421933_thumb.jpg

post-19512-0-19876000-1473421937_thumb.jpg

high ping.txt

jumping ping by symbol.txt

low ping with bit spikes.txt

low ping with timenudge on -50.txt

Edited by Carbonautics

The adsl info and adsl diagnostics, in the diganostics though the second window with green stuff in it is too big to take some ss of cant do that in ss, following will be some winmtr results  which i thought was of some help, took results with high ping , low spiking ping etc , and all the winmtr results are with cabled tests.[wireless off]. Hope it helped

Your SNR margin is very high, and your download speed is very low even for such a high SNR.

Unless there is something I am missing you have an issue with your line.

Are you using a filter? Is there noise on the line (on a landline phone, do you hear static or other noises)?

Edit: The diagnostics give an attainable rate that is ok, but the stats say your rate is much lower. What download speed do you actually get?

Edited by SadElf
  • Like 1

Well at least your router seems to be forwarding packets in appropriate time now.

Your line stats look pretty good. With your current speed of 2x0.5, there is a lot of headroom for faster speeds.
At the maximum speed of 13x0.768, things are looking marginal.

What it looks like to me is that the plan that you are paying for is only 2mbps. So you would need to pay more per month in order to take advantage of the faster speeds available to you.

I would say that 8.125mbps x 0.768 would be fast enough to play multiplayer games, while keeping your connection stable. I could not tell you how much the increased cost would be.

With that said, ping does not necessarily change based on an increase of bandwidth or speed. I see a lot of spikes within the "last mile" between the ISP and your modem. It could be because of a lack of bandwidth- or it could be because your ISP oversold the service- in which case, there's not much you can do.

Running a traceroute for only 20-30 packets does not provide much information though. 100 would be good.

EDIT: Based on RedBaird's post below... Please point the destination to jay3.clan-fa.com

• Like 1

• Leader

The last address in your text files are for the FA website and not for any game servers.  -50 nudge would not affect those winmtr results.

104.28.27.238 -    0 |   10 |   10 |   89 |  102 |  155 |   95 

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=fearless-assassins.com  (search for FA.com addy)

Domain:	Fearless-assassins.com
IP Address:	104.28.27.238
IPv6 Address:	2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1bee
Hostname:	104.28.27.238

• Like 1