What car should i get?

SubZer0

Hello fellow members!

As the title suggested i'm going to need a new (used) car.

Need some help because i cannot choose the right one :rolleyes:

Before i started hunting i made a list of demands;

-Looking for an petrol model (No diesel or LPG)

-Want to have an hatchback

-Must have 4 doors

-Does not break the bank in terms of maintenance

-Want to have 150hp +

-Insurance fee has to be acceptable

-Has to be reliable

-Has to be comfortable on long trips (vacation 1500KM + trips)

-Budget arround 10k(euro)

-Mileage around 125k - 150k (or less ofcourse)

-No french cars (remember, it has to be reliable)

And ofcourse it has to be a good looking car.

So with that in mind i had a lot to choose from, here are some candidates i rulled out;

Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS or 3.2 GTA

alfa_147_ant.png?itok=zH9BVhQb

Although i find this an beautiful looking car i'm scared of alfa romeo's reputation regarding reliability.

BMW 1 Serie 118i or 120i

bmw-1-series-2008-white-hatchback-118d-m

Although i'm an BMW fan and owned some 3 and 5 serie models, i have my doubts about reliability with the newer BMW models (E60, E87, E81, E90 ect ect).

With that out of the way here are some candidates i am considering;

Audi A3 2.0 (T)FSI 1.8TFSI or 3.2

hqdefault.jpg

In my opinion a good looking car with good performance.

Volkswagen Golf V GTI

0610078-Volkswagen-Golf-2.0-16V-FSI-Turb

Great preformance, only thing holding me back is the scumbags driving it (Rotterdam area, the Netherlands).

Still consider it as an option. (i'm not considering an GT model or any other golf V models).

Volkswagen Golf VI 1.4 TSI or 1.8 TSI

Mk6.1.jpeg

Not a very exciting option, but a wise one.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI 1.8 TSI 2.0(T)FSI

33551860001_original.jpg

Like the looks of this car, dont like the dash  :mellow:

Mazda 3 2.0

mazda-3-hatchback-12.jpg

Price quality value is good on this one, but it's loud on board while driving.

So this is what i got on my mind right now.

Let me know what you think or what i forget!

If you own one of these cars let me know what kind of experience you have with them.

btw.. I live in the Netherlands, this is what 10k in euros approximately will get you.

Sorry for the long post;

Potato%20car_zps6dws92ta.jpg

Thanks! :D

Go with the Audi. Solid car.

2nd pick would be the Mazda.

Avoid 2012-present VW's.... they have been having issues with the fuel system for years and can't get it straightened out.

• Like 1

BMW serie 1 doesnt really give tons of space, rather go with a serie 520 or similiar then, i would say Audi A4 would do it as well or the one linked in your post is fine too, as for Golf, u honestly cant miss with that, been like a tank since the series 1, another good option i would recommend is check with Skoda, their last years were sensational in terms of performance/price ratio, on Octavia, can even go RS, u can get older models below 10k, get a big bang of HP and not so costy to maintain.

• Like 1

Focus st should be on your shortlist. Solid power (251 hp, 270 lb-ft torque) and it shifts like a dream. Power when you want it and docile when you're driving like a normal person. good gas mileage,  decently reliable so far (for me, anyway).

• Like 1

BMW serie 1 doesnt really give tons of space, rather go with a serie 520 or similiar then, i would say Audi A4 would do it as well or the one linked in your post is fine too, as for Golf, u honestly cant miss with that, been like a tank since the series 1, another good option i would recommend is check with Skoda, their last years were sensational in terms of performance/price ratio, on Octavia, can even go RS, u can get older models below 10k, get a big bang of HP and not so costy to maintain.

I totally agree on you're given points, unfortunately my missus doesn't want to drive around in something sedan/salon/touring like  <_<

Focus st should be on your shortlist. Solid power (251 hp, 270 lb-ft torque) and it shifts like a dream. Power when you want it and docile when you're driving like a normal person. good gas mileage,  decently reliable so far (for me, anyway).

A great option consider! How long do you own the car? From which year is it and whats the mileage? :D

U forgot the big insurance cost for that lol.

I totally agree on you're given points, unfortunately my missus doesn't want to drive around in something sedan/salon/touring like  <_<

A great option consider! How long do you own the car? From which year is it and whats the mileage? :D

I've had the car for around 2 years (2015 model i believe). It's got about 17k on it and the only discernible issue is that the front right window squeaks a bit. I regularly do four hour car rides in it and I've never had a complaint about its ride quality. 

other pros:

-the clutch is insanely light. stop and start traffic is not work with the st's clutch.

-the noise level at road speed is fairly minimal.

-I've logged many hours in a mini cooper S and believe or not, the ST is nearly as agile in the turns and equally as responsive.

-no freakish torque steer relative to other overpowered hot hatches (mazdaspeed 3).

-no need to shift down to overtake on the highway. 270 lb-ft of torque present in all gears.

cons:

-even with all-season tires, the performance in winter conditions is.....iffy. I live in Vermont and I recall once when I couldn't get the wheels to lock when going up a mild incline with slush, even in second gear at 15 mph.  Use some common sense and you should be fine, though.

-it has the engine of an aggressive hot hatch and the aesthetic edginess of a librarian. If you want to turn heads or piss off the neighbors, this car isn't the best option. 

It's a very functional and powerful car. would recommend it if you want a balance between civility and fun.

• Like 2

volkswagen > volkswagen > mazda > audi > bmw.

Toyota corolla? 'cause it's the car I ride.

Friend of mine has one, its rock solid but unfortunately not really my cup of tea

I've had the car for around 2 years (2015 model i believe). It's got about 17k on it and the only discernible issue is that the front right window squeaks a bit. I regularly do four hour car rides in it and I've never had a complaint about its ride quality. 

other pros:

-the clutch is insanely light. stop and start traffic is not work with the st's clutch.

-the noise level at road speed is fairly minimal.

-I've logged many hours in a mini cooper S and believe or not, the ST is nearly as agile in the turns and equally as responsive.

-no freakish torque steer relative to other overpowered hot hatches (mazdaspeed 3).

-no need to shift down to overtake on the highway. 270 lb-ft of torque present in all gears.

cons:

-even with all-season tires, the performance in winter conditions is.....iffy. I live in Vermont and I recall once when I couldn't get the wheels to lock when going up a mild incline with slush, even in second gear at 15 mph.  Use some common sense and you should be fine, though.

-it has the engine of an aggressive hot hatch and the aesthetic edginess of a librarian. If you want to turn heads or piss off the neighbors, this car isn't the best option. 

It's a very functional and powerful car. would recommend it if you want a balance between civility and fun.

2015 model?!  :blink: I got a 10k budget so i guess that's not going to work

I'd be careful with BMW's and Audi's. Maybe it's different in Europe, but in the states maintenance costs are outrageous for those two brands in particular. 

• Like 1