Default Gateway Is Not Available...

Hey guys. I recently got another computer, and when I connect to the internet, it stops working and says that the default gateway is not available. Now, thx to troubleshooting, it does that like every 20 min. I was wondering if you guys had any solutions and if you do, it would really help me. Thx!

Probably need to update drivers.

Find out what network adapter you have and then go to the manufacturer's website and download the most recent driver.

• Like 1

Alright, let me try that. Thx!

I went t o my device manager and tried ti update the driver to the network adapter. It says that it is up to date. The network adapter I have is: Intel® Pro/1000 PM Network Connection

How old is that computer? <.<

What OS are you using? And ummmm does it say the year of the driver at all? Drivers aren't always up to date just because windows says so ^.^ Windows is sometimes stupid. :P

• Like 1

How old is that computer? <.<

What OS are you using? And ummmm does it say the year of the driver at all? Drivers aren't always up to date just because windows says so ^.^ Windows is sometimes stupid. :P

The pc is so old, it has a pentium d cpu and has windows xp. But, I updated it to windows 7 ultimate XD

Oh wow <.< Maybe that's why xD Try this driver in case... I'm a bit buzzed but I think this is the right on for your adapter. They stopped updating for that adapter a long time ago >.< I would try it just in case! Worst case you can just roll back  :3

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18717/Network-Adapter-Drivers-for-Windows-XP-Final-Release?product=50492

• Like 1

Curious as to which OS you're using on this computer.

Presuming you're using Windows, open up the command prompt and run 'tracert www.google.com'. Paste the output here please.

I'm betting this is an issue with interconnected routers or a lack of uPnP functionality.

It could also be browser specific, does this problem occur across all of your web browsers and online games?

• Like 1

• Leader

The pc is so old, it has a pentium d cpu and has windows xp. But, I updated it to windows 7 ultimate XD

"had" win xp?  Did you get an "official" copy of win7 Ultimate?

Officially, you can't "upgrade" from XP to 7, but there are "migration" programs available.

Googling "default gateway is not available" found a LOT of 'stuff'. I suggest that you listen to the people here first. :)

Afterthought: Did you try booting to Safe Mode with Networking?  

Edited by RedBaird
afterthought
  • Like 1

This is actually a common problem with built in network cards on old motherboards.  The most common fix is to buy a

network card that runs with Win7.  My old brain cant remember all the jargon about this but it has something to do with

assigning the default gateway as a non static address.  I know that Dare knows what I am talking about.

Here is something for you to think about though.  Go back to WinXP and use Malwarebytes to plug all the holes for security.

I use an old XP machine all the time for my printer needs.  I have COD4 on it and play once in a while with it to see the difference.

I actually have a MB and Quad4 cpu and ram and video that I am not going to do anything with.  PM me to see if it will be something

you might like.  I also have a legit copy of XP pro.

• Like 1

Presuming you're using Windows, open up the command prompt and run 'tracert www.google.com'. Paste the output here please.

I'm betting this is an issue with interconnected routers or a lack of uPnP functionality.

It could also be browser specific, does this problem occur across all of your web browsers and online games?

I occurs mostly on web browsing. When I play ET though, it never happens.

This is actually a common problem with built in network cards on old motherboards.  The most common fix is to buy a

network card that runs with Win7.  My old brain cant remember all the jargon about this but it has something to do with

assigning the default gateway as a non static address.  I know that Dare knows what I am talking about.

Here is something for you to think about though.  Go back to WinXP and use Malwarebytes to plug all the holes for security.

I use an old XP machine all the time for my printer needs.  I have COD4 on it and play once in a while with it to see the difference.

I actually have a MB and Quad4 cpu and ram and video that I am not going to do anything with.  PM me to see if it will be something

you might like.  I also have a legit copy of XP pro.

Ya, that is true. I do like windows xp and I think my PC can handle it better. I am also familiar with the OS....Alright, I am gonna try going to windows xp! (I have a disk in my room :D)

"had" win xp?  Did you get an "official" copy of win7 Ultimate?

Officially, you can't "upgrade" from XP to 7, but there are "migration" programs available.

Googling "default gateway is not available" found a LOT of 'stuff'. I suggest that you listen to the people here first. :)

Afterthought: Did you try booting to Safe Mode with Networking?  

"Had" win xp. When I first got this computer, the OS broke itself apart, and I saw that it had the same vanity as windows 7. So, I went ahead and downloaded my own copy of win 7

• Like 1

Alright, so first, I am going to download the link that Raven gave me, if that does not work, then I go to safe mode, if that somehow does not work, then I go to windows xp. (Just tried to download it, only for windows xp. I am going to try safe mode)

Edited by St0rmSlaSh