Offroad Trip

Aft3rmath

• Platinum VIP

Me and a couple buddies of mine met up with a jeep club to do some offroading at Flagpole Knob near Harrisonburg, VA.  We had about 40 jeeps total.

FB_IMG_1456771823363_1.jpg

f1402aa.jpg

f01d807.jpg

f19a502.jpg

FB_IMG_1456771761458_1.jpg

• Like 8

Looks like a fun day!

Head about 1 1/2 hours south and we'll head up to Potts Mountain and Bailey's Gap out in Giles County.

I live about 30 mins from there so never thought about camping. There is a state campground maybe a couple miles away called "The Pines". I don't believe there is any cost to camp and I think it has full facilities. Camping in the national forest is weird. Some places are cool with it and others will fine you. It also depends if it's close to fire season in late June through August. Best bet is to find a camp ground just outside.

There is also a place called Eagle Advetures (or something like that) near there that has like a 1,000 ft zip line down the mountain.

Barbours Creek wilderness area is something like 5,000 acres. It's a all round good spot to disappear for a few days!

• Like 1

I've heard of Potts Mountain and its on our list.  Can you do any camping there?

me and wifey use to go Front Royal and travel..skyline drive south and go to caves and stuff...Natural Bridge and other places..to get away from florida..been a long time.. beautiful area

• Platinum VIP

We've done trips up to Flagpole Knob and just camped out at whichever open spot we found at the top of the mountain.  All the more reason for me to build that roof rack I've been talking about.

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum VIP

Nope I haven't.  I heard that the middle of the trail is privately owned and they got tired of people wheeling through their property and shut it down.  From what I understand, you can still do both ends of the trail but not the entire thing. 

Its been a couple years since Ive been but me and a couple friends use to go up there all the time. Its an awesome trail. Friendly for beginners and people who have some crawling experience

• Platinum VIP

How many peeps live within driving distance of VA and would be interested in camping for a night or two?