Why don't we have stick shift cars anymore?

Ol Smoke

Gas mileage is the simple answer.  Computer controlled engines is the second answer.

Believe it or not...stick shift cars get worse mileage.  Because of this and the EPA mandates about MPG

the standard shift is no longer available in most cars.

You can still order it on certain models of cars, but you have to sign a waiver on the EPA papers.  True.

Go check out a mustang or charger and ask about the stick shift option.

When I was in high school;  and I bought a high performance car with a stick shift (4 speed) the cost of

insurance more than doubled.  This was because I was under 18 also.

A friend had a 1969 Dodge Charger 426 hemi with a 4 speed.  The papers on it said it had 390 HP.  But in

reality it had almost 500 HP.  It was de-rated in order for people to get insurance on it.  He was paying over

$60 a month for insurance.  And he was 19 years old.  That's $720 a year for car insurance in 1969.  When

the average job paid $2.25 an hour. That's about $360 a month.

Yeah, those 1960's cars were cool and all muscled up, but in reality, very few could afford them.

This is what the shifter looked like in my 1969 Oldsmobile 442-W30.

2h7gmf6.jpg

• Like 3

• Leader

Believe it or not...stick shift cars get worse mileage.  Because of this and the EPA mandates about MPG

the standard shift is no longer available in most cars.

Thanks for clearing up that mystery!  There was a recent post about American tourists renting cars in Europe and not even knowing what the clutch pedal was, let alone know how to operate the shift lever.  (One drove around in first gear all the time!  :o )

European may think that they get better gas mileage than US cars, even in the same models.  One reason is that the US changed the method of testing mileage ratings for new autos some years ago to "make them more realistic".  I understand that this involves multiple engine speeds over various times that "more accurately reflect truer driving conditions".  Europe is said to be using the methods that the US abandoned and thus attach a higher mileage rating to their new cars.

There is also the "size of the gallon" problem when comparing MpG

A US gallon is actually about 4/5ths of an imperial gallon (IE everywhere else in the world)

0.83 percent, actually.

• Like 2

Thanks for clearing up that mystery!  There was a recent post about American tourists renting cars in Europe and not even knowing what the clutch pedal was, let alone know how to operate the shift lever.  (One drove around in first gear all the time!  :o )

Was my story with a customer :lol:

You can't be serious? Do you have a link to said post?

This one

About the explanation i'm not sure you will use more gas with a manual one than a automatic car (every country will defend his test)

You're just lazy :lol:

I can understand that automatic is "more" comfortable, specially for you in us with all your big roads, but i'll never change the "feeling" of driving a manual for an automatic B)

Have also heard, in the Nissan GTR, that the automatic transmission shifts faster than somebody with a manual transmission would.

With the advent of most modern automatic transmissions having between 6-10 gears/speeds, the engine is in a better torque range for optimal fuel usage. Plus over the last 20 years or so the sales of manual transmission vehicle in the US has consistently declined, so a lot of the manufacturers just simply stopped making them. Ford for instance no longer offers a manual transmission option in the F series trucks because the 6 speed autos tow better and get better mileage.

Manual is more fun. I'm actually hunting for a nice 90s - early 00s Japanese project car now. 

They still sell cars in manual. The Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS (same car) for one. I know BMW announced they're not doing stick anymore, though. 

• Like 1

I know BMW announced they're not doing stick anymore, though. 

Can't really imagine driving a BMW without a manual gear shift, considering it's such a lovely way of driving thro the corners in second or third gear, pumping up the RPM to 4-5k :D

Overall i would say that with automatic shifting drive becomes more simplified, considering u don't have to shift all the time and u save up the gas through the automatic way of driving, nowadays most of cars have a Sport set up as well at the gear changes, so u can get out a bit extra RPM before car shifts up, good case are bmw's that regardless of having an automatic gearbox, they still enjoy a good ride if u push the pedal to the medal, but for me in overall, a manual gear shifting is a joy of driving as u have a complete control over the drive and it makes it that more enjoyable when u hit up to 5-6k RPM in 3rd gear and just hear the engine go rawr :D

• Like 2