How to open dm_84 file?

iikoo

Well i know i can watch demos on mods->silent->replays. When i watch demos, there is a button "record avi using f1-f5 buttons", i tried press those buttons. Its looks like recording, but i dont find this avi files anywhere on my pc?

Well problem is...how to record avi on demos, or how to find those files? :huh:

When I was converting dm_84 file into avi videos I used this tutorial: http://www.rydeath.com/movietut/

Hope it helps :)

Thanks...but thats is very hard..i got now one AVI demo, but i losted sounds ands its lagging

No one easier ways?

Edited by iikoo

I just remembered that you could use Fraps to record your screen, then it's easy to convert it.

Or you could wait for someone with better idea :)

I just remembered that you could use Fraps to record your screen, then it's easy to convert it.

I think Fraps dropping fps pretty low :(

Ive been tested hypercam and bandicam, but cant play because fps drops 10-20.

• Leader

I think Fraps dropping fps pretty low :(

Ive been tested hypercam and bandicam, but cant play because fps drops 10-20.

I think that he is saying that you can record a demo, play it back in ET and then record that screen with Fraps.  I don't think that he is suggesting that you make the original recording with Fraps.  

I believe that when ET records a demo, it is actually storing the packets that the server sends to you, along with the ones that you send to the server.  An ET-demo is a playback of all those packets through the game-engine, not a frame-by-frame recording like those other programs do.  ET-recordings are much more space- and time-efficient than any frame-by-frame recording can be.

• Like 1

Hmm, how come you have such low frames per second.

Would you mind posting your dm_84 file here?

Thats not gaming fps...when i start avi-recording fps drops..:(

Do u know any good place, where i can upload dm_84 file?

Here on forum or dropbox/google drive/mediafire/zippyshare. But I recommend forum way. If file is under 3mb size you can attach it to a post.

I used recording with fraps then compressing it with virtual dub(target bitrate 500 so it's small, bad quality just to show you it works, with sound)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/651688m9xicsrdl/ET%202015-12-21%2022-56-44-48.avi?dl=0

I ran et -> set silent mod -> started replay -> started recording with fraps 24fps.

After demo finished I stopped fraps recording and had file 1,1gb so I compressed it via virtual dub:

(and I have already xvid codec)

1. Open your uncompressed AVI, File -> Open video file.
  2. Setup for the first phase analysis pass, Video -> Compression.
  3. Select XviD MPEG-4 Codec and press Configure.
  4. Set "Profile @ Level" to "Advanced Simple @ L5"
  5. Set "Encoding type" to "Twopass - 1st pass".
  6. Press OK and OK again.
  7. Now start the first phase, File -> Run video analysis pass.
  8. Once complete, goto Video -> Compression -> Configure.
  9. Set "Encoding type" to "Twopass - 2nd pass".
  10. Click the "Target size (kbytes)" button to toggle it to "Target bitrate (kbps)".
  11. Enter a target bitrate, maybe something around 2000 (See note).
  12. Press OK and OK again.
  13. Now encode the file, File -> Save as AVI.

I think for better quality you should use around 3000 bitrate.

You lost sound because with cl_avidemo cvar you record pictures as each frame. Quake video maker converts those frame into video file. So you can't have sound from pictures.

I'm  not aware with different methods. Maybe some other members have some ideas?

Oops! when You press F4 while playing a demo in ET,

A million screenshots are made in screenshots folder of mod(Not recommended, There's no sound).

A movie is single frames played one after another, Playback speed is set by the frames per second.

I use Dxtory program to record screen and sound while demo is playing(one GB movie file is produced per Minute).

Adjust video card 3D properties before recording to most brightness or movie will be dark.

Be sure to set dxtory sound volume to highest.

Then I load into Windows Movie Maker set to make the largest file in WMV.

Tory video codec lets Movie Maker preview the movie but It's not necessary.