New X-Files Revival Trailer

Night Hunter

Anticipation is high for the new season of The X-Files, which returns to TV screens in January after a 14-year break. A spooky new teaser has been released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=szVb8-c9oH4

Described as a "six episode event", the show sees David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson return as FBI agents Mulder and Scully. As before, the pair will be investigating the strange and the paranormal, and will be joined by former co-stars Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis, playing Walter Skinner and the villainous Smoking Man.

In an interview with Fortune this week, X-Files creator Chris Carter spoke about how the new episodes had been shaped by world events, in particular recent revelations about governmental surveillance. "I've been writing about this privately for some time," he said. "In the first episode, there's plenty of reference to the government snooping on us and actually the shamelessness of it, and how it fits into possibly a larger conspiracy.

"I pick up the newspaper every day, and I see an X-Files story."

The X-Files ran for nine years, and clocked up 202 episodes between 1993 and 2002. By the time the final episode aired, it had become the longest-running consecutive sci-fi series ever on US broadcast TV. There were also two spinoff movies: 1998's The X-Files: Fight the Future, and The X-Files: I Want to Believe in 2008.

The first episode of the new season will premiere on Fox on January 24, 2016.