et freezing completely

Cumquat

Can i see compatibility only in regards to motherboard? because i literally dont know what computer this is,and also in dxdiag it doesnt say either..

I will see if i have any manuals but we bought this pc in 2007 so i doubt we kept any manuals.

you can use msinfo32.exe. search for the tool under start/search

it is similar to dxdiag but gives you some additional information. When you open it, check under 'System Summary':

- 'System Manufacturer' and

- 'System Model'

Here a example from google: (The guy has a gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherboard)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/where-can-i-find-what-motherboard-and-processor-i/221c0dd5-fb2a-44a6-a190-0255077e9358?auth=1

Msinfo32-window.jpg

• Like 1

ok this was really the problem i had before and it was my hard disk problem so check your hard disk .. it happend with me nd i had to buy new one and it does happen sometimes with the cable now also i have to keep the hard disk in a certain way to make it work or doesnt stuck so check that..

• Like 1

Open a Prompt Command with admin rights and type this:

wmic path Win32_BaseBoard get Manufacturer,Product,Version /value

With this you should be able to get all the infos needed about your motherboard.

Here is the command line to get the infos of the RAM:

wmic path Win32_PhysicalMemory get Capacity,FormFactor,Manufacturer,PartNumber,SerialNumber /value
Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

alrighty 2gb of ram costs 30 euros....60 euros for 4gb for an old computer is definately not worth it..

can i put ram from a different manufacturer or will that not work?

btw my original problem hasnt appeared for the last two or three days,i think it might be the same issue karizmatic had.

• Leader

Open a Prompt Command with admin rights and type this:

wmic path Win32_BaseBoard get Manufacturer,Product,Version /value
With this you should be able to get all the infos needed about your motherboard.

Here is the command line to get the infos of the RAM:
wmic path Win32_PhysicalMemory get Capacity,FormFactor,Manufacturer,PartNumber,SerialNumber /value

I thought that some readers might not know how to open an Elevated Command Prompt, so I got the bright idea of making a primitive video of how to do it.  My video shows how to use the Admin Command window to enter Annibal's commands to copy & paste the results here.  His quote is in the spoiler above.

My vid-capture program did not capture the mouse pointer once it was within the DOS window, so here is an SS of the c:/ icon that you click on to get the edit menu to drop down.

post-8926-0-51555400-1445500348_thumb.jpg post-8926-0-51555400-1445500348.jpg

There is a Youtube link at the end of this post to show how to open the Admin command prompt in the normal ways.  My cmd.exe is pinned to the taskbar, so my vid shows a less usual way to open it.

You can click on this MediaFire link and my vid will play via their site.  There may or may not be a 15 second advertisement. :(   BTW, I think that I said "right click" too many times. :)
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/9l1aifedzeor8eb/AnnibalAdvice%40et_freezing_completely640x480.mp4

For Vista / Windows 7

I cannot believe that I have spent four hours replying to just two posts here tonight!  I wish that I could be as persistent with other tasks!

• Like 2

alrighty 2gb of ram costs 30 euros....60 euros for 4gb for an old computer is definately not worth it..

What's your current ram?

Edited by jaie

and your motherboard? Because, if your mobo supports ddr3, in terms of perfs and prices better to go with this rather than a ddr2 which is still indeed expensive for an outdated component. Cheapest prices I found in Greece for 4GB in ddr2 are around 50 euros.

4GB ddr2: http://www.e-shop.gr/ypologistes-mnimes-ram-ddr2-sdram-4gb-list?table=PER&category=%CC%CD%C7%CC%C7+RAM&filter-193=1&filter-9729=1

4GB ddr3: http://www.e-shop.gr/ypologistes-mnimes-ram-4gb-ddr3-sdram-list?table=PER&category=%CC%CD%C7%CC%C7+RAM&filter-9729=1&filter-194=1

• Leader

You can't use DDR2 in DDR3 slots, although a few mobos did have slots for both kinds.  They could use one kind or the other, but not both.

I read that some Mobos could use DDR in DDR2 slots, but that was before memory controllers on the CPU.

• Like 1

and your motherboard? Because, if your mobo supports ddr3, in terms of perfs and prices better to go with this rather than a ddr2 which is still indeed expensive for an outdated component. Cheapest prices I found in Greece for 4GB in ddr2 are around 50 euros.

4GB ddr2: http://www.e-shop.gr/ypologistes-mnimes-ram-ddr2-sdram-4gb-list?table=PER&category=%CC%CD%C7%CC%C7+RAM&filter-193=1&filter-9729=1

4GB ddr3: http://www.e-shop.gr/ypologistes-mnimes-ram-4gb-ddr3-sdram-list?table=PER&category=%CC%CD%C7%CC%C7+RAM&filter-9729=1&filter-194=1

oh i thought i had posted my motherboard,its asus p5q se plus,but its kinda different from the same named one on asus.com

it has 4 ram spots with different colours (if that makes a difference) i can post pictures if that would help.

isnt ddr3 "better" than ddr2?

and what i hate about my country is that every single site where you can find stuff related to computers its only an eshop where you have to pay 5+ euros for shipping and most of them also require at least 3euros for paying cash on delivery,beats the purpose of trying to find the cheapest one.