Comcast Xfinity vs dsl

Audie Leon Murphy

I am now able to get Comcast Xfinity at my house. They have a 250 gb data limit per month. Will I exceed this by playing ET (a lot) and the regular internet stuff ? I have 12 mb dsl with no data limts now. I can save money getting tv / internet / phone with comcast but am concerned about the data limit. Anybody have any experience with this ?

• Leader

I just signed up for Triple-Play with them:  TV, Internet and Phone services.  Only the phone svc is new to me.

My account says that the 250GB cap is suspended and here is a link to their latest statement on the situation:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-datapolicy

Here is the data usage from my account for this month, for 19 days.

68GB used   
Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended.

Note that I live alone, that I don't watch movies or listen to music online, that I do watch YouTube vids, download files and web-pages, etc.

It does not look like I'd break the 250GB barrier anyway, having averaged 3.5 GB/day so far this month or about 102GB/month.

You had better check what your local comcast-xfinity site says about your service area.

I don't think that ET uses all that much data.  It is not sending you each frame, like a movie would, but rather instructions-codes to your ET-client as to what to display to you.  "What to display" is a simplification, but you get the idea.  :)  Instead of sending you a picture-frame of RedBaird turning left, it sends a code for "RedBaird turned x-degrees left" and your ET-client does the display-work.    

• Like 1

ET uses about 100kbps, in 1h=3600s it would make 360 000kb=360Mb~50MB. 4h per day and 30 days: 120x50MB~6GB per month for ET.

For online gaming its more important to have stable ping and no packet loss\fragmentation than huge throughput. High speeds is purely for video streaming.

• Like 2

• Leader

About my data usage:  I have a bad habit of having over 30 Chrome tabs open and I close the browser sometimes to free memory.  I don't know how much of those pages is re-sent to me when I open Chrome again.  :hmm

• Like 1