• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

Comcast Xfinity vs dsl

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Audie Leon Murphy

Audie Leon Murphy

L3: Novice

• ET Member
  • 76 posts
On the road to fame
  • Admin:12
  • Server:Jay2
  • Alias:=F|A=Audie Murphy
  • T-M:T-M : 1-0

Donator

I am now able to get Comcast Xfinity at my house. They have a 250 gb data limit per month. Will I exceed this by playing ET (a lot) and the regular internet stuff ? I have 12 mb dsl with no data limts now. I can save money getting tv / internet / phone with comcast but am concerned about the data limit. Anybody have any experience with this ?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!

RedBaird

RedBaird

What does this thing do? I will push it and see...

• Leader
  • 6,179 posts
Glorious beacon of light
  • EvolveHQ:FA_Redbaird
  • Admin:20
  • Server:Jay1
  • Alias:=F|A=RedBaird
  • T-M:ET: 13-4

Donator

I just signed up for Triple-Play with them:  TV, Internet and Phone services.  Only the phone svc is new to me.

My account says that the 250GB cap is suspended and here is a link to their latest statement on the situation:

http://customer.xfin...ions-datapolicy

Here is the data usage from my account for this month, for 19 days.

68GB used   
Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended.

Note that I live alone, that I don't watch movies or listen to music online, that I do watch YouTube vids, download files and web-pages, etc.

It does not look like I'd break the 250GB barrier anyway, having averaged 3.5 GB/day so far this month or about 102GB/month.

You had better check what your local comcast-xfinity site says about your service area.

I don't think that ET uses all that much data.  It is not sending you each frame, like a movie would, but rather instructions-codes to your ET-client as to what to display to you.  "What to display" is a simplification, but you get the idea.  :)  Instead of sending you a picture-frame of RedBaird turning left, it sends a code for "RedBaird turned x-degrees left" and your ET-client does the display-work.    

Vanaraud

Vanaraud

L10: Grand Master

• ET Member
  • 3,416 posts
I am just really nice
  • Admin:15
  • Server:Jay2
  • Alias:Vael
  • T-M:ET:2-1
Contributor

ET uses about 100kbps, in 1h=3600s it would make 360 000kb=360Mb~50MB. 4h per day and 30 days: 120x50MB~6GB per month for ET.

For online gaming its more important to have stable ping and no packet loss\fragmentation than huge throughput. High speeds is purely for video streaming.

RedBaird

RedBaird

What does this thing do? I will push it and see...

• Leader
  • 6,179 posts
Glorious beacon of light
  • EvolveHQ:FA_Redbaird
  • Admin:20
  • Server:Jay1
  • Alias:=F|A=RedBaird
  • T-M:ET: 13-4

Donator

About my data usage:  I have a bad habit of having over 30 Chrome tabs open and I close the browser sometimes to free memory.  I don't know how much of those pages is re-sent to me when I open Chrome again.  :hmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users