KILLERGUN

• Administrators

Silent crashed a few minutes ago :(

Drive removal. Give it a shot once more. Thank you

Got an Error: Server Failed today around 11:50 PM EST. Can't get back in yet

Please try once. Server reboot. Needed to remove old dead drive. Thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

You're welcome but honestly, it's me and pretty much everyone else who enjoys gaming on F|A that should thank you and all the others who make it possible.

By the way, that $7/m VPS isn't an actual VPS - it's a dedicated box (I know $7/m for a dedi seems cheap but keep in mind for OVH it's worth it considering their conversion rate (i.e. the volume they're selling; people eventually 'outgrowing' one box, etc)) - for VPS's - you can also see OVH ( https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-classic.xml) starting at $3/m - but as you can see there isn't a lot of disk space.

10Gb wouldn't cut slack. Actually I got an idea for 1TB back up :) I think I am gonna go for it. 

• Like 1

10Gb wouldn't cut slack. Actually I got an idea for 1TB back up :) I think I am gonna go for it. 

I'm curious what the idea is! To drop another idea in the pool, you could also consider Hubic which currently has an offer - 10 TB = 5 euro/m (incl. vat) or 50 euro/y (incl. vat), see: https://hubic.com/en/offers/

And to clarify, the 10GB storage is for the cheapest VPS of OVH (the one that's $3/m) - the dedicated server has 500GB (which is $7/m).

By the way, a bit off-topic (but only slightly);  I was wondering - I noticed you've got a machine at Hetzner (I used to use Hetzner as well; but they had or possibly still have a bit of a bad policy regarding DDoS and such - essentially, whilst renting my 48G I got hit by one and they nullrouted my IP but this was a couple of years ago; obviously they're a budget provider and their null route was understandable but still - I needed my stuff up) did you ever have problems with them? Are they recommendable these days?

You're welcome but honestly, it's me and pretty much everyone else who enjoys gaming on F|A that should thank you and all the others who make it possible.

By the way, that $7/m VPS isn't an actual VPS - it's a dedicated box (I know $7/m for a dedi seems cheap but keep in mind for OVH it's worth it considering their conversion rate (i.e. the volume they're selling; people eventually 'outgrowing' one box, etc)) - for VPS's - you can also see OVH ( https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-classic.xml) starting at $3/m - but as you can see there isn't a lot of disk space.

Hey, i see that you giving good feedback, give great help to others, like to play in our servers and visit in the our site, plus you help us with donation(s). Thank you! I really want to see your apply mate, :) We need members like you! :) So send, it send it :)

• Like 5

• Administrators

I'm curious what the idea is! To drop another idea in the pool, you could also consider Hubic which currently has an offer - 10 TB = 5 euro/m (incl. vat) or 50 euro/y (incl. vat), see: https://hubic.com/en/offers/

And to clarify, the 10GB storage is for the cheapest VPS of OVH (the one that's $3/m) - the dedicated server has 500GB (which is $7/m).

By the way, a bit off-topic (but only slightly);  I was wondering - I noticed you've got a machine at Hetzner (I used to use Hetzner as well; but they had or possibly still have a bit of a bad policy regarding DDoS and such - essentially, whilst renting my 48G I got hit by one and they nullrouted my IP but this was a couple of years ago; obviously they're a budget provider and their null route was understandable but still - I needed my stuff up) did you ever have problems with them? Are they recommendable these days?

Well I scrapped out my idea.. I have 1TB @ Onedrive but that got file limit of 20,000 files, I got more then that.. well way more then that, so back to square one. Need to find something good. Where is kimsufi link please? 7$/month. I can't find it on OVH website anymore. 

Hetzner - I wouldn't. Still they are pain in da ass to deal with. If you need one for US, I would talk with Constant and get you custom deal for it. They have been best for me. PM me your budget or you are looking for and I can talk with constant sales rep. I had given them appx 10 customers and they have been all happy.

• Like 1

Well I scrapped out my idea.. I have 1TB @ Onedrive but that got file limit of 20,000 files, I got more then that.. well way more then that, so back to square one. Need to find something good. Where is kimsufi link please? 7$/month. I can't find it on OVH website anymore. 

Hetzner - I wouldn't. Still they are pain in da ass to deal with. If you need one for US, I would talk with Constant and get you custom deal for it. They have been best for me. PM me your budget or you are looking for and I can talk with constant sales rep. I had given them appx 10 customers and they have been all happy.

Kimsufi link is here: http://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/

You should know it is however a pain to actually order one - they run out of stock so fast; might be worth e-mailing them instead.

It should be noted that even though this is for backup - you can't actually run game servers on them (well you can... but it wouldn't be helpful) because they tend to null route boxes when they start sending UDP packages in bulk (I suppose it's understandable, considering how cheap these boxes are - and some people take advantage) - though if you're interested in dedicated boxes for game servers with OVH check out the dedicated servers of Soyoustart (they've got a special line for game servers; http://www.soyoustart.com/us/game-servers/though from what I'm gathering your quite happy with Constant - though might be worth considering as a replacement for Hetzner i.e. if budget allows)

In case you're curious, here's a speedtest from one of my soyoustart boxes (speedtest-cli though - and it's the same network as kimsufi) - as you can see, the connectivity is really nice!: 

4574258492.png

Re: Hetzner, I currently don't need another dedi (I've got 2 at Soyoustart [which is essentially OVH just like Kimsufi] which run great for what I need, I've got one with 16GB mem and another with 32GB mem and nice specs both running VMs) - but if I need a server in the US and OVH/Soyoustart can't satisfy - I'll be sure to get in touch with you and Constant. I was wondering about Hetzner because I always had a good relationship with them (to clarify, as this is a bit conflicting with what I wrote below - I had a good relationship with them until they mucked things up badly which you can read in my post below) - except for the DDoS issues (then again, they are a budget provider - and I don't actually think they've got actual servers but more high-powered desktops - but I might be wrong... then again, my 48GB mem machine was _really_ nice).

Edit: err, 24GB should've been 32GB (I've rented way to many dedi's over the years...).

Edited by w00tw00t
  • Like 1

Hetzner is the best in Europe for me! His knowledge is awesome, but he is

a bit expensive. But it is ok at all if you need help or  have problems. Earlier

i had a Managed Server from Hetzner and it was nice to see/read if someone

knows what he talks about. In those days a bit to expensive for me, so i suggested

to quit.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Soyustart - I had one for test with them once while back. They where pita to deal with with any technical issues.  OVH network was plagued with torrents and downtime's at least 2-3 year's back. Cheap servers had attracted lot's of bad traffic customers. They are good in France but that's being it. Looks like things have changed based on your feedback so might get 7$ one when available for back ups.

With constant my experience was nothing but helpful. Had changed 5 dedicated providers before trying constant. FDC, Reliable, Ubiquity, NFO VDS, etc etc. Each one had either horrible network or random network issues. Constant is sister company of Choopa and they have been good with me and the other customers which I had send to them. One of the sales rep even knows me... since i had visited their datacenter as well. So sometimes they give me good offers. 

Hetzner - Is all about money. Tell them your hard drive is failing, they will take your machine down for 8 hrs, run test and tell you, nop it will work and if they decided to replace it they will screw you with old one again. With hetnzer, I change machine every 3-4 year before I reach dead span lock. So eventually, yes, I pay the overhead and time for migrating is pain in da butt. I have to re set up everything. To keep IP's 70 Euro + set up fees 60 Euros. + one month double expanse. So overall it's not that cheap. But Hetzner network has been good to descent so far. Support? 1000 winMTR requirement is POS. They are like complete  jack ass in tech support department. 

For constant, they detected machine down, tech support look at it, HD fail, tried to repair it, didn't work and installed new one on plugged in old hard drive. Once I came back I checked replacement is also 3 year old, i asked for new one and got brand new hard drive. All in all smooth process. 

Soyustart - I had one for test with them once while back. They where pita to deal with with any technical issues.  OVH network was plagued with torrents and downtime's at least 2-3 year's back. Cheap servers had attracted lot's of bad traffic customers. They are good in France but that's being it. Looks like things have changed based on your feedback so might get 7$ one when available for back ups.

With constant my experience was nothing but helpful. Had changed 5 dedicated providers before trying constant. FDC, Reliable, Ubiquity, NFO VDS, etc etc. Each one had either horrible network or random network issues. Constant is sister company of Choopa and they have been good with me and the other customers which I had send to them. One of the sales rep even knows me... since i had visited their datacenter as well. So sometimes they give me good offers. 

Hetzner - Is all about money. Tell them your hard drive is failing, they will take your machine down for 8 hrs, run test and tell you, nop it will work and if they decided to replace it they will screw you with old one again. With hetnzer, I change machine every 3-4 year before I reach dead span lock. So eventually, yes, I pay the overhead and time for migrating is pain in da butt. I have to re set up everything. To keep IP's 70 Euro + set up fees 60 Euros. + one month double expanse. So overall it's not that cheap. But Hetzner network has been good to descent so far. Support? 1000 winMTR requirement is POS. They are like complete  jack ass in tech support department. 

For constant, they detected machine down, tech support look at it, HD fail, tried to repair it, didn't work and installed new one on plugged in old hard drive. Once I came back I checked replacement is also 3 year old, i asked for new one and got brand new hard drive. All in all smooth process. 

I agree about OVH's network 2-3 years ago it was full with seedboxes and the likes (I'm sure many of them still exists but OVH's got their network in-check these days) - that has changed mostly though (in my experience); their customer service has been helpful to me in the past (though granted, when I actually was an OVH customer they're helpdesk wasn't that 'awesome' in English - I still get Hubic e-mails re: invoices in french - but now they've build a DC in Canada I'm sure the custom service is better) - furthermore there's another advantage is that they actually run tests before delivering the dedi; if something fails in between - they'll replace it real quick (least, they did in my experience - the Software raid however is a bit of a downside on the cheaper-end spectrum but I can deal with that). [these days I get support in NL if I need it]

Also really nice about OVH - if they detect the server is down - a technician will be there <5 minutes and do the same what Constant does (and they'll keep you up to date about it too). Though - when you do get the machine, make sure you check /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2 - and see if it exists, OVH tends (or tended) to install an additional SSH key so they could support you when you need it; not sure why exactly.. but I'm paranoid re: these things - so I just removed that crap.

(i.e. I haven't had any networking / support issues with OVH, Kimsufi [the dutch brand is 'isgenoeg' & SoYouStart - well to be fair I did have one networking issue but that was more to deal with OVH's networking setup + failover IPs but that was me not properly reading)

As for hetzner.. Oh man, do I have a story to tell you. This was a while ago - but this really should make you go 'WTF?' - Ok so, it was a weekend I was working on my server and suddenly it stopped responding - I couldn't SSH, I couldn't ping, _nothing_... so, I went to look up their docs - saw the MTR requirement - shot them a mail explaining what had happened (I figured it must've been something I did right? but the problem was, I didn't do anything that could've brought the server down - and I actually did use their konsole to restart it - and I didn't get an e-mail saying it was null routed either - though you actually have to contact them to get that info' which is stupid) + the MTR...

Guess their response? "Please make an MTR from the server" - My response was something along the lines of: "Eeh? Didn't I just tell you the server isn't responding AT ALL? How am I supposed to make an MTR from there?" .. so 8+ hours later they FINALLY figured it out.. One of their SWITCHES to which my server was connected was DOWN - and it took them 10hrs or so to notice (after I informed them!).. I can't even begin to express how pissed I am still - needless to say it wasn't that much later that I discontinued my contract and get the hell out.

So yes - I agree, they're in it for the money.

Either way, as a backup machine the kimsufi should suffice! Hope this helps some!

• Like 2

• Leader

@ Daredevil, I have been telling the players that you had to buy a "server-grade" HD, implying that it is more expensive than our home HDs.  Is that really true?  I'm sorry that I had "assumed facts not in evidence"!   :)

@w00t, your comment made made Laugh Out Loud so hard that my Ass nearly fell off!   :D

Guess their response? "Please make an MTR from the server" - My response was something along the lines of: "Eeh? Didn't I just tell you the server isn't responding AT ALL? How am I supposed to make an MTR from there?" ..

• Like 1

• Administrators

@ Daredevil, I have been telling the players that you had to buy a "server-grade" HD, implying that it is more expensive than our home HDs.  Is that really true?  I'm sorry that I had "assumed facts not in evidence"!   :)

Your statement is 50/50. 

For Euro machines we get regular hard drives. Ex: 530 SSD can be used in server and in desktop. For US we got WD server grade with higher MTBF. US host provided us for free since we where long time customer with them. 

Euro host doesn't give shit and if anytime HD fails we pay 70 Euro

Your statement is 50/50. 

For Euro machines we get regular hard drives. Ex: 530 SSD can be used in server and in desktop. For US we got WD server grade with higher MTBF. US host provided us for free since we where long time customer with them. 

Euro host doesn't give shit and if anytime HD fails we pay 70 Euro

Is it possible to see an amount to how far this put us back on our yearly goal to pay for servers?

• Administrators

Is it possible to see an amount to how far this put us back on our yearly goal to pay for servers?

Round to trip to data center, toll + gas. Nothing on clans expense though. I am money saver when it comes to clan funds. I fight for penny with host. I got it mostly all done and borrowed data recovery software from my friend which he had paid for his servers. So i got that one free as well. Well some way or another, I own him but I will cover it up for him since he is my personal friend. 

That being this hard drive didn't put us back. It might put us back if I decide to invest in other back up options. I am also finding other host for hosting our websites to save money and prolly will shift Beginners #2 on another machine.Would be able to save 25$ or so a month but haven't found good alternative to our current Euro Linux machine.

• Like 1

@w00t, your comment made made Laugh Out Loud so hard that my Ass nearly fell off!   :D

The worst part really was the fact that a part of their infrastructure failed and they didn't know it - and they operate datacenters! I'm fairly sure someone could blow up one of their facilities and they wouldn't notice it. 

Disclaimer: I am not in any way suggesting someone should blow up one of their facilities to test. Though if someone does, you can't hold me responsible. Just sayin'

Round to trip to data center, toll + gas. Nothing on clans expense though. I am money saver when it comes to clan funds. I fight for penny with host. I got it mostly all done and borrowed data recovery software from my friend which he had paid for his servers. So i got that one free as well. Well some way or another, I own him but I will cover it up for him since he is my personal friend. 

That being this hard drive didn't put us back. It might put us back if I decide to invest in other back up options. I am also finding other host for hosting our websites to save money and prolly will shift Beginners #2 on another machine.Would be able to save 25$ or so a month but haven't found good alternative to our current Euro Linux machine.

You mention trying to find another host for the website, hosting providers are plentiful - is there anything in particular you're looking for? 

I'm probably getting my bonus in a couple of months - I'll put in some $ into the pool when I do.

Edited by w00tw00t