I quit smoking

Shoes

Congratz! U can do it...  :D I stop smoking almost 2 year now, was a pack a day habit for 20 years. There are lots of ways to quit , cold turkey , gums , pills, ,  e cig etc... try what works best for you. Anything you use will be much better then that nasty cig.  Cold turkey might work for some, but it didn't work for a long term smoker like me. My addiction was too strong. I used a combo of nicotine gum and an e cig.  I decreased the Nicotine levels every 2 weeks for 2 months.  It worked for me and might work for you. The bottom line is.... DONT GIVE UP!

• Like 1

Ah hah hah. No. It'll get worse. Especially if you have a stressful day.

BUT YOU MUST PERSEVERE DAMMIT.

After the nicotine cravings stop in a week or two it'll be a bit easier.

I took a vacation and quit smoking... Work stress was mostly driving my motivation to smoke and when I left for two weeks I gave it up completely.

First three days were rough but after that it gets easier. If you look up a list of 'This begins to happen as soon as you stop smoking', it can help

with motivation (generally). Started by not smoking inside anymore. Day two I was standing in the rain smoking and 

by day three I started getting tired of going outside. Every time you get the urge to smoke you need a plan B where you do something else for 

fifteen minutes and by then the urge generally subsides for a bit.

Edited by JeffXL5

I stop smoking two year ago, stopped when i was sick, then i had throat so sore that i could not smoke, so i didnt have desire to smoke, i was sick 4 day, and didnt have desires at all, so those hardest days gone when i was sick, that helped a lot.

Hahah Rantie's telling you to get sick, it's the way to go :D

What I heard is that it helps when you just pretend cigarette is in your hand and you just take a puff and exhale air, just like you are smoking. Just pretending you're smoking. Idk though.

Mine wasn't smoking it was dipping.  Like you, I'm from Virginia where our largest cash crop has been tobacco since 1607 ( our actual largest cash crop is Weed but the state gets no tax revenue from that...yet). Both my uncles are tobacco farmers. I actually used to receive rolls of dip from them as x-mas presents :wacko: .  My dad chewed, my grandfather chewed, etc.   My method of quitting was also cold turkey.  I started out lying to myself and saying " you can take a dip in 2 mins", when that 2 mins was up I would go another 2 mins and so on.   May not work for everyone but it worked for me, at least for the first few critical days ( that sounds waaaay easier than it actually was).  I also started doing some simple exercise.  I walk for 30 mins before work and about 30 minutes in the evening.  I'm not a "workout" type person but the simple act of walking made my nasty irritability a lot less.

Just remember your not alone.  Millions of people have gone through the same exact thing you are going through right now.  They did it, you WILL do it. " What one man can do, another can do" 

• Like 1

Congratulations. This is the best decision in your life. I smoked for 9 years. It was very hard for me, I was nervous, angry, sad. It took about six months. Then there is the better. After three years you will not remember the names of your favorite cigarettes. For sure you will succeed. !!!

• Like 1

You go man. Keep it up, if you fall off get back up and on man. Do it. Nothing Changes until you have First a desire, and then a belief that you can do it. BELIEVE in yourself that you can do this. You can do this. I can do this 4 life changing words. I wish you the utmost success. Change is seldom easy. You can do this. Loose regrets concentrate on the change. Guilt entraps you, choosing empowers you.

Another thing that helped me was to consider the one true key to success is "to not b*** out" and each time I had the urge to smoke I decided that I wasn't going to let that smoke make me it's b*** :-0 it became like a personal vindictive fight vs cigarettes